Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:18 PM   #51
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStern View Post
"innovating" is easier when you are willing to throw anything at the wall and home something sticks.
And when Wall Street doesn't seem to care about pesky things like margins and profits.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:19 PM   #52
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

It's evolution. First we had Bluetools, those people who walked around all day with their Bluetooth headsets. Now we're going to have glass holes.

Last edited by DTphonehome; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
DTphonehome is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:20 PM   #53
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJoe View Post
I[*]You have to talk to it to make it work, which will be very annoying in public
No,, you don't haveto talk, you can use the touch side
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:20 PM   #54
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
Imagine what this type of technology will look like in 40 years.

Graphene screens could be useful here... screens which are microns thick and flexible implanted onto the surface of your eye perhaps? It wouldn't require much power either, perhaps a small solar panel put just next to your retina so it still gathers light but doesn't effect your vision. The circuit and electrical components could also be housed inside your eye away from your retina.

Couple that with mind control (don't laugh, it will probably be a reality in 40 years time) and BAM, you've got something amazing.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking
MasterHowl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:20 PM   #55
TJGilbert21
macrumors newbie

How does this work?

Okay, my opinions aside, I just don't get how this works! I mean, sure, for the majority, they're telling it, "Okay, Glass, record a video," but then these videos go and show people browsing through menus or sending an image to someone ALL without TELLING Glass anything! How are they navigating the operating system without touching anything? Or are we not seeing them pushing buttons along the side or something? Or has Google actually invented a device that can read your mind?

There are a lot of falsities about these videos. I'm certain the product won't be nearly as amazing in real life as these videos show it off to be.
TJGilbert21 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:20 PM   #56
iphone495
macrumors member

Google Glass for $1500 or Google Pixel for $1300. AHHHH I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!
iphone495 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:21 PM   #57
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
Your opinion is wrong.
Quote:
opinion
Quote:
wrong
What?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:22 PM   #58
NorEaster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post
Way too much radiation near my precious brain from the Google Glass you might think.

They might be too early.
Just like Microsoft was too early with Tablet computers to get schooled by Apple and the iPad.
What people would be willing to wear is the iPin, the iButton or an iCamera or iEye.
Something that sits in your pocket or clips onto your clothing somehow.
It could have a camera and GPS, WiFI and Bluetooth.
And when you want to see what it has to display, you look at

wait for it

your iWatch.
So in the future, in order to have different services or features, I'll need to wear different devices depending on what I want...and then look somewhere else to actually access/view data from those devices? And run the risk of me losing and/or forgetting to wear these pieces of Apple "flair"? No thanks... Apple "flair" doesn't appeal to me. I guess from your perspective we'll be moving away from the world of converging devices into a world of fragmented ones. I for one, hope this doesn't happen. I'm perfectly happy carrying around just my iPhone,
NorEaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:22 PM   #59
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

Very cool.....but not $1,500 cool.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:22 PM   #60
extricated
macrumors regular

I'm not sure how successful this will be; however, I appreciate the concept.
It's sure to spawn other, more practical variances.

That said, I have no desire for one in this current configuration/price.
extricated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:22 PM   #61
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan20 View Post
Apple never shows off what they are developing before they are actually going to release it.
And they normally don't release things until they're quite confident it's ready for the masses and will sell. That's what was so disappointing about the maps app. Not ready for prime time.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:22 PM   #62
jlim
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Absolutely love the idea, but I don't wear glasses.

Absolutely love the idea, but I wear glasses.

Can't wear contacts.
jlim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:23 PM   #63
jcazalet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL18 View Post
I give Google tons of points here for trying something new, and I would certainly love to try one in some capacity

BUT....1500 is just too much for a novelty product of limited function.
Thats for the developer version that is just a prototype of the device not the actual production device and it will be a lot cheaper. It is really meant for app developers to build applications for it and be able to release them at launch time.
jcazalet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:23 PM   #64
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a

Wow, I am a huge apple fan but I don't let that limit my vision.

Google glass is just missing some useful apps and suddenly it turns into a AR tool.

Look at this TED Sixth Sense video: http://www.wired.com/business/2009/02/ted-digital-six/

Google glass can perform this as is. Its just a matter of feeding images into googles existing search algorithm and providing a useful output.

Think of this. Go shopping. Pick something up and immediately see ratings, competitive prices, ingredients, etc. No more taking a phone out of the pocket to snap a pic, and feed it into the appropriate app.

See something on TV or in a magazine and immediately 'bookmark' it to review later or do additional searches for information.

Get in a car accident and immediately have replay footage.

And with future versions possible real time driving alerts for things you may not notice like Speed Cameras, Deer, Pedestrians.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:24 PM   #65
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGilbert21 View Post
Okay, my opinions aside, I just don't get how this works! I mean, sure, for the majority, they're telling it, "Okay, Glass, record a video," but then these videos go and show people browsing through menus or sending an image to someone ALL without TELLING Glass anything! How are they navigating the operating system without touching anything? Or are we not seeing them pushing buttons along the side or something? Or has Google actually invented a device that can read your mind?

There are a lot of falsities about these videos. I'm certain the product won't be nearly as amazing in real life as these videos show it off to be.
It has a touch zone to interact with the UI
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:25 PM   #66
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGilbert21 View Post
but I think when it's released to the general public, people will creatively find novel uses for it...

paul4339 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:26 PM   #67
2bikes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
Wow, I am a huge apple fan but I don't let that limit my vision.

Google glass is just missing some useful apps and suddenly it turns into a AR tool.

Look at this TED Sixth Sense video: http://www.wired.com/business/2009/02/ted-digital-six/

Google glass can perform this as is. Its just a matter of feeding images into googles existing search algorithm and providing a useful output.

Think of this. Go shopping. Pick something up and immediately see ratings, competitive prices, ingredients, etc. No more taking a phone out of the pocket to snap a pic, and feed it into the appropriate app.

See something on TV or in a magazine and immediately 'bookmark' it to review later or do additional searches for information.

Get in a car accident and immediately have replay footage.

And with future versions possible real time driving alerts for things you may not notice like Speed Cameras, Deer, Pedestrians.
It has huge potential. Hope it doesn't end up like Q.
2bikes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:27 PM   #68
peterh988
macrumors regular

I'll wait for Apple to bring out the iEye, like that kid had in the Dredd film.
peterh988 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:27 PM   #69
whoami
macrumors member

I think glass is pretty damn cool.. it's too bad the design/look is awful. Once they can make the camera and electronics disappear this will be massive..
whoami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:30 PM   #70
scott911
macrumors 6502

remember freaky movie Brazil? one step closer.
scott911 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:30 PM   #71
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

I keep thinking of the "Six Million Dollar Man" and his bionic eye. Yeah, I know I'm showing my age. But what if I was playing golf and could get an accurate estimate of the distance to the pin, plus wind direction? Or if I'm shopping and I could scan barcodes and see if the price was better at a nearby store. Or get push notifications about things I'm planning to buy while I'm walking in the mall. Or check my March Madness Bracket during a boring meeting without having to look at my phone or computer. It seems like there could be endless applications for this if it is done right. And eventually they will make nice looking versions that don't look any different than regular glasses. I was skeptical, but am getting more excited about the potential.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:32 PM   #72
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Just my opinion mind you but this is one of the dumbest products ever.
I think this is a pretty neat idea/concept and am curious to see where it goes. Maybe it will end up a flop, or maybe it'll take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
Your opinion is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcazalet View Post
Well your opinion is stupid
And those are your opinions. Who is to say yours aren't stupid or wrong?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:32 PM   #73
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I want these...at $299.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:32 PM   #74
Menel
macrumors 601

I spend $3800 on my eyes to get rid of glasses.

Like hell I'm spending $1500 to go back to that style.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:33 PM   #75
NorEaster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJoe View Post
It seems to me like google is just throwing everything they can think of against the wall and waiting to see what sticks. Let's look at this objectively:
  • It performs basic mobile functions and nothing else
  • You have to talk to it to make it work, which will be very annoying in public
  • You have to wear a very unflattering pair of glasses
  • It is outrageously expensive

What, exactly, is the appeal of this device? Who is it for? Skydivers who don't want to buy one of those go cameras?

You must either be a teen or pre-teen who never used the original iPhone (or just ignorant of how technology progresses), because some of your points above applied to iPhone 1. It performed basic mobile functions (albeit via a great user interface) but had very poor call quality. It didn't have any downloadable apps and a horrible camera to boot. Poor battery life was included...oh, and it was also outrageously expensive.

You also apparently don't have much imagination either for how technology like this could be applied. Keep reading this thread and maybe you'll be enlightened to the fact that this actually does have quite a bit of real world usage (and do you also realize that military applications of data being delivered via a monocle or HUD already exist)?

Anyway... feel free to remain encumbered by the RDF that you choose to keep yourself in
NorEaster is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion