Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phundercover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
ClamXav is reporting I have a virus - BC.Heuristic.Trojan.SusPacked.BF-6.B - in my (Thunderbird) Inbox but can't find anything on the internet about this affecting a Mac. Is this a false positive?

I have a MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.5.

Thanks.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Just delete the email. It probably came along with an email from a Windows PC.

You might want to inform the person that sent the email that they have a virus .

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Looks like a win32 virus but why wouldn't you delete it to be safe anyway?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
ClamXav is reporting I have a virus - BC.Heuristic.Trojan.SusPacked.BF-6.B - in my (Thunderbird) Inbox but can't find anything on the internet about this affecting a Mac. Is this a false positive?
It's a Windows trojan that cannot execute or affect your Mac in any way. Just delete it and you'll be fine. There has never been a Mac OS X virus in the wild, and only a few trojans, which are easily avoided by practicing safe computing.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

I have a MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.5.

Thanks.

Probably not a false positive. ClamXAV scans for for viruses from all major platforms.

Even though a Windows virus won't affect you directly, it's still not a good idea to just the infected file sit there. You don't want to pass the file on later and become a "carrier."

It would probably also be a good idea to find the person who sent you the message with the infected file, and let them know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.