Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steviemax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
I have an iPad 3 and, although I use it for a lot of things, one of it's primary uses, for me, is to read magazines and newspapers. The iPad 3 is perfectly suited for that media, especially for newspapers like the WSJ and, virtually every magazine. I'm intrigued, however, by the mini and, it's portability. Anyone have any experience reading newspapers (such as the WSJ which, I believe has the best "newspaper" format on an tablet) and/or magazines ? I have some difficulty believing that the experience is as good on a mini as on a full size iPad. Opinions ?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
My favourite magazine is The Economist, and though I get a print edition with my subscription, I never even open the plastic wrapper (I know, I should give it to someone or take it to the doctor's office at least so others can enjoy it) and only read the digital edition, most of it on my mini and perhaps an article or two on my iPhone when I don't have my mini with me but I have time to kill somewhere. The digital edition I've never seen on the full sized iPad, I'm sure it's wonderful, but on my mini it's like reading the print edition, it's the most enjoyable experience I have reading digital editions. I also read "eBook editions" of various newspapers and magazines (I used to only read The Economist this way too) via Calibre software (which fetches RSS feed data and puts articles, advert free, into an "eBook" complete with tables of content for easy navigation) and automatically sends it to your Kindle app (which is my preferred app for reading these, plus I also have a Kindle, so an obvious format to choose).

Hope that helps, sorry I don't read the WSJ.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The iPad Economist app works fine on the iPad 3. Near full size. I don't know how well, personally, magazines would work on the Mini.

Doesn't matter to me, though. It will be at least 1-2 years before I'm willing to replace my iPad with another model.

In my case, I blame the Y2K bug. I used to pay for the economist years ago. A couple years ago, I tried my old account on the economist. And found it still worked years after my subscription ended :) I bet if someone were to look at my subscription closely, it probably ends in the year 2099 or 2100.

The WSJ digital edition has the same issue for me. Years after subscription ends, I still have access.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I have an iPad 3 and, although I use it for a lot of things, one of it's primary uses, for me, is to read magazines and newspapers. The iPad 3 is perfectly suited for that media, especially for newspapers like the WSJ and, virtually every magazine. I'm intrigued, however, by the mini and, it's portability. Anyone have any experience reading newspapers (such as the WSJ which, I believe has the best "newspaper" format on an tablet) and/or magazines ? I have some difficulty believing that the experience is as good on a mini as on a full size iPad. Opinions ?

I think it depends on the type of magazine with experience. If you read magazines with high quality photos, charts etc and the quality is important to you, an ipad is probably better but for most magazine readers, a mini is probably good.

Outdoorsben

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
Western Mass
I've just started swapping over my magazines to the iPad Mini. So far so good. I've got Handyman, Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Canoeroots, aaaand I think that's it. So far I enjoy them all. The only downside is that I can't pass them along to family like I normally do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.