Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LEGO The Lord of the Rings, which was released for consoles and PCs late last year, has finally made its way to the Mac.

The game, which is based on The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, incorporates events from all three of the movies. It features actual film dialogue along with RPG elements that are not present in other LEGO games, such as an expanding inventory and open world exploration.

legolotr.jpg
From the peaceful fields of the Shire to the mysterious beauty of Rivendell and on to the fearsome depths of Mordor, forge your own path through a vast open world.
Set out on perilous side quests, discover secret areas and solve challenging puzzles alongside the epic main adventure.

Master the special powers of over 80 playable characters, including Frodo's ability to wear the One Ring and enter the shadowy world of the Ringwraiths...

Hunt for hidden treasure! Collect, craft and use magical items including Wizard staffs, Mithril armour and Elven blades that glow blue in the presence of Orcs.
LEGO The Lord of the Rings can be played in single player mode or with multiple two players. It requires Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later, a 1.4GHz processor, 4GB RAM and 128MB VRAM.

LEGO The Lord of the Rings can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: LEGO The Lord of the Rings Hits the Mac App Store

KirkTheJerk

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
Good Game

I have this game for the 360 and it was pretty good. The inventory item switching gets alittle annoying, but it is still a great game. The Lego Star Wars game is still the best though.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I hope the 'Mac App Store' will provide the Simcity game for Macs later this year as well :-( I don't have any disc-drive @home... EA if you reading this, plzz

The Store has far more potential but I think Apple is losing normal developers cause you need to buy an additional developer-ship (iOS & Mac dev) and why don't they sell it as one single dev account, you can decide what you want to do. I want a full store! please Apple, there are so many ppl who want to explore the mac dev kit but don't due to its extra cost

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
$30??!!! are they Nuts! I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
No wonder people pirate games. $30 for a ported Lego game is unbelievable.

Edit:
Never mind. Just realized it is the MAC store and not the iOS one.

Last edited:

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish

What the hell is wrong with $30 for a proper 3D game? Everyone's obsessed with iOS app pricing these days.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Every new thing i see from lego it seems to be more and more lacking in actual lego bricks.

Yeah, there are WAY too many specialized bricks these days. It's cool that there are some newer bricks, but it's also kind of silly that it seems like every other new set has some unique one that had to be made for it.

The collectible Minifigs are cool though- I love that they decided to do those.

Rychiar

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT

Did we not all used to pay $69.99 and up 20 years ago for ****** super nintendo games? When people bitch about game prices these days it blows my mind. A cheap original gameboy game used to be $29.99

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Did we not all used to pay $69.99 and up 20 years ago for ****** super nintendo games? When people bitch about game prices these days it blows my mind. A cheap original gameboy game used to be $29.99

Never did. Like I said in my edit I was thinking it was the iOS store.
Even now the new games are priced $50 to high. I wait till they hit $20-$30 and or buy used.
I only pay full prive for AAA games like Uncharted.

----------

Even so $30 is to high for a ported game.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Yeah, there are WAY too many specialized bricks these days. It's cool that there are some newer bricks, but it's also kind of silly that it seems like every other new set has some unique one that had to be made for it.

The collectible Minifigs are cool though- I love that they decided to do those.

I don't mind a small range of shaped bricks but when they are printed with designs and words for one model they can't be used in others - really annoying. Loved Lego when I was younger.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I hope the 'Mac App Store' will provide the Simcity game for Macs later this year as well :-( I don't have any disc-drive @home... EA if you reading this, plzz

EA can't hear you over there piles of evil money.

They took all they're recent games off steam making Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 irritating to load up.

Unless people actually just start boycotting EA games completely until thing change, they never will.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009

I used to pay that much money and more for actual lego sets. Those were the days. Some lego games (such as the star wars ones) I find really entertaining.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
EA can't hear you over there piles of evil money.

They took all they're recent games off steam making Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 irritating to load up.

Unless people actually just start boycotting EA games completely until thing change, they never will.

That's exactly what I've started doing after the latest FIFA screw up, I'm done with EA.

Lego LOTR isn't on Steam for Mac yet. I prefer to play the PC version and then download the Mac version free when it become available. That way, if the Mac port is crappy I can always bootcamp back to Windows to play. Also, graphics performance is still sadly lacking on the Mac compared to the exact same game on Windows.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Are these LEGO games actually any good?

Some of the recent ones have had good reviews; but I've always been skeptical.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004

Some are better than others but they're all casual games. My 6 year old loves them.

If you're a hardcore FPS type player you probably won't enjoy them as much.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Also, graphics performance is still sadly lacking on the Mac compared to the exact same game on Windows.

Don't get me started on Microsoft and directX! :p

But at least Valve will get OpenGL a better standing by using Linux as their front runner in the near future.

CJK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
The Mountain Empire

My kids (7 and almost 9) absolutely LOVE LEGO Harry Potter. I will confess to enjoying it very much also.

They're not aimed at hardcore gamers -- which is actually a big reason I enjoy them: they're fun without being stressful. (I am terrible at "hardcore" games.)

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005

Yes, I've played quite a few of them, there isn't one I haven't enjoyed yet. This LOTR one is frequently hilarious if you love the films on which it's based, it's good to see it on the mac (though I won't be buying unless it gets cheaper, because I have the PS3 version already). Obviously if you hate LOTR and/or Lego there's not a lot of point playing it though.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh

I was a huge fan of the Star Wars (the original and the expanded, six-episode one), but the LOTR Lego game is very lame in comparison. Feels more like you're walking through the movie than actually doing anything.

It's not a BAD game, just nowhere near as fun as I was hoping.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri

The Store has far more potential but I think Apple is losing normal developers cause you need to buy an additional developer-ship (iOS & Mac dev) and why don't they sell it as one single dev account, you can decide what you want to do. I want a full store! please Apple, there are so many ppl who want to explore the mac dev kit but don't due to its extra cost

SimCity will be available on Origin for digital download.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
This is one of the faster ports I've seen for Apple. I think that playing this game on a console is much more fun. FPS are my fav on a computer though.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal

I remember when "The Lion King" came out for SNES and Genesis... it was 79.99 and I HAD to have it. And $79 back then is like $160 dollars now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.