Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Implements 'Managed Distribution', Volume Purchase Program for Mac Apps

Following the late October launch of Mavericks, Apple has implemented new changes to its Volume Purchase Program for Business and Education, expanding the program to the Mac App Store for the first time and launching new "Managed Distribution" capabilities for iOS 7 and Mavericks that allow institutions to assign and revoke app licenses to individual users.*The company has begun sending emails to its education and business customers, notifying them of the changes.
Quote:
Hello Education Technologists,

I wanted to be sure to send this information regarding another part of the iOS 7 and Mavericks updates to become available. There is a guide available as well for more detail. As I've discussed with many of you, it's now time to consider a Mobile Device Management Solution (MDM) moving forward.

Volume Purchase Program for Business and Education:

New features available.

The Volume Purchase Program (VPP) for Business and Education has been updated to support iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks. It now features:

- Managed distribution--Install and assign apps using Profile Manager on OS X Server or third-party mobile device management (MDM) solutions

- Mac apps--Now available on the VPP store

The VPP pages on Apple.com have updated program information, including direct links to enrollment and program login for registered participants.

Volume Purchase Program: Migrating from redemption codes to managed distribution - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6015
Apple began preparing developers for the launch of the Mac Volume Purchase Program in early October, allowing developers to introduce discounts for bulk purchases as is possible in the iOS App Store.

As noted by Enterprise iOS, Apple's new mobile device management (MDM) options are compatible with the majority of apps and books from the App Store and require MDM systems to be updated to work with the new options. Assigned apps are downloaded automatically to supervised devices, and app assignment does not reveal Apple IDs.

Apple has also updated both the Business and Education Volume Purchase Program pages on its website to reflect the changes, providing enrollment options and help documents on the Volume Purchase Program and mobile device management solutions.

Article Link: Apple Implements 'Managed Distribution', Volume Purchase Program for Mac Apps
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Rossatron
macrumors 6502

thats kinda awesome!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3
joshwenke
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to joshwenke Send a message via Skype™ to joshwenke
Glad to see Apple's making it easier for educators to manage their student's iPads.
joshwenke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Finally. Working in the education field for Universities and private schools, this has always been an issue that Apple never really thought out. Now it seems they are finally thinking it out and fixing it.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 01:28 PM   #5
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Following the late October launch of Mavericks, Apple has implemented new changes to its Volume Purchase Program for Business and Education, expanding the program to the Mac App Store for the first time and launching new "Managed Distribution" capabilities for iOS 7 and Mavericks that allow institutions to assign and revoke app licenses to individual users.*The company has begun sending emails to its education and business customers, notifying them of the changes.Apple began preparing developers for the launch of the Mac Volume Purchase Program in early October, allowing developers to introduce discounts for bulk purchases as is possible in the iOS App Store.

As noted by Enterprise iOS, Apple's new mobile device management (MDM) options are compatible with the majority of apps and books from the App Store and require MDM systems to be updated to work with the new options. Assigned apps are downloaded automatically to supervised devices, and app assignment does not reveal Apple IDs.

Apple has also updated both the Business and Education Volume Purchase Program pages on its website to reflect the changes, providing enrollment options and help documents on the Volume Purchase Program and mobile device management solutions.

Article Link: Apple Implements 'Managed Distribution', Volume Purchase Program for Mac Apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
Finally. Working in the education field for Universities and private schools, this has always been an issue that Apple never really thought out. Now it seems they are finally thinking it out and fixing it.
Thank you Apple. This was a huge flaw in the initial App Store implementation. Glad to see they are fixing it.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 01:45 PM   #6
smilys
macrumors newbie

super

super
Old Nov 5, 2013, 07:33 PM   #7
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

If so, how will this effectively address the issue some schools had with the supervision profiles they had installed on educational iPads, which allowed students to access any and all content they desired? http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/03/...iles-on-ios-7/
Old Nov 6, 2013, 01:00 AM   #8
Nevaborn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
If so, how will this effectively address the issue some schools had with the supervision profiles they had installed on educational iPads, which allowed students to access any and all content they desired? http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/03/...iles-on-ios-7/
Shen I went to a conference about this earlyin the year this was still a bit sketchy. On closed networks they can restrict content allowed but on an outside uncontrolled network if students can take the iPads home say then there isnt a lot they can do, any tracking of activity is possible depending on the company you use and their capabilities but then all your left withis restricting access to theiPad by remote locking.

I personally didnt care for mdm company for what I do, they mainly just handle software updates and monitoring... Not something I need as i can manage that alright if I went that route.
Nevaborn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:40 PM   #9
960design
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaborn View Post
Shen I went to a conference about this earlyin the year this was still a bit sketchy. On closed networks they can restrict content allowed but on an outside uncontrolled network if students can take the iPads home say then there isnt a lot they can do, any tracking of activity is possible depending on the company you use and their capabilities but then all your left withis restricting access to theiPad by remote locking.

I personally didnt care for mdm company for what I do, they mainly just handle software updates and monitoring... Not something I need as i can manage that alright if I went that route.
I manage a little over 2000 iPads for our school district. We have profiles for student and teachers. The teachers have access to youtube, students do not. Regarding taking the iPad home, the supervised iPad can be forced to use a school Proxy that filters content. There are tons of things you can do with the iPad, it all depends on how the management wants to handle it. We are in the realm of letting the iPads be as open as legally allowable to facilitate learning and engagement. We run little reports to send out to staff, letting them know the apps that are currently installed on each device. Staff uses this to teach digital stewardship.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 01:30 PM   #10
BrentD
macrumors member

The iOS App Store stuff is great, but the Mac App Store things are what make me happy. Mostly because I started a new job recently and needed to get Final Cut Pro X. Our purchasing department was clueless on how to make that happen since they couldn't go order it and get a box from somewhere anymore. This should be much easier to manage once they get brought up to speed on the new process that's available from Apple.
BrentD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2013, 07:31 PM   #11
wideEyedPupil
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
Yes spawned some commercial applications to handle these issues but that didn't effect purchasing or pricing which was still the Apple way. This is very big news surprisingly so few comments.
wideEyedPupil is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion