Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:00 PM   #26
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boulder, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
I've read numerous accounts of people receiving a color swap.
Sure, within the 14 day return period. There are zero accounts of people receiving a color swap post this 14 day period.
__________________
15" 2.66GHz C2D uMBP | 13" 2.4GHz i5 MBP 500GB | '07 MacBook
iPhone 6 64GB | iPhone 5 32GB | iPhone 8GB
אני רוצה לעשות עליה לישראל
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:58 PM   #27
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020
 
Blorzoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Sure, within the 14 day return period. There are zero accounts of people receiving a color swap post this 14 day period.
Zero? You've read ALL posts?
I guess you must've missed this one.

SwimmingPool
macrumors newbie

Join Date: Oct 2012
Black iPhone 5 Replaced with White one, should I ask for more compensation?
I got my black iPhone 5 on September 21st 2012. Early this month I have been having problems with with the sim card being read.

I got the phone replaced with express replacment and still had the same problem.

Apple support escalated the issue to somebody at Apple HQ. And I got a call a few days later.

Turns out I needed to get a whole new iPhone. While she was setting up the order she asked if I wanted to change the color of the phone, I said yes and she did.

With this replacment I am getting a new iPhone, not a refurbished one, I get all new cables and everything. Then I need to ship my broken black iPhone back.

Should I ask for more in compensation? I was without an iPhone for 5 days and was on tech support with Apple for over 7 hours before someone that knew what they were doing could help me.
Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Feb 20, 2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Restored original post
Blorzoga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:02 PM   #28
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boulder, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
Zero? You've read ALL posts?
I guess you must've missed this one.

SwimmingPool
macrumors newbie

Join Date: Oct 2012
Black iPhone 5 Replaced with White one, should I ask for more compensation?
I got my black iPhone 5 on September 21st 2012. Early this month I have been having problems with with the sim card being read.

I got the phone replaced with express replacment and still had the same problem.

Apple support escalated the issue to somebody at Apple HQ. And I got a call a few days later.

Turns out I needed to get a whole new iPhone. While she was setting up the order she asked if I wanted to change the color of the phone, I said yes and she did.

With this replacment I am getting a new iPhone, not a refurbished one, I get all new cables and everything. Then I need to ship my broken black iPhone back.

Should I ask for more in compensation? I was without an iPhone for 5 days and was on tech support with Apple for over 7 hours before someone that knew what they were doing could help me.
Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Feb 20, 2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Restored original post
That's a completely different situation. That's not committing insurance fraud to get a new iPhone for $50 (which it seems you intend to do), that's dealing with a defect twice. Unless you want to beg the claim to Apple that it's their fault you broke your phone more than once and succeed, then it's possible you'll get it replaced for a phone of a different color. Do what you want, but there's essentially zero chance you'll get a different colored iPhone.
__________________
15" 2.66GHz C2D uMBP | 13" 2.4GHz i5 MBP 500GB | '07 MacBook
iPhone 6 64GB | iPhone 5 32GB | iPhone 8GB
אני רוצה לעשות עליה לישראל
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:16 PM   #29
walmartmartyr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by madkir View Post
the refurbished iphone 5 serial number starts with dq this time around.
I got one at the end of december: In many respects it was better than other 5 new units it replaced.
+1
walmartmartyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:16 PM   #30
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020
 
Blorzoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
That's a completely different situation. That's not committing insurance fraud to get a new iPhone for $50 (which it seems you intend to do), that's dealing with a defect twice. Unless you want to beg the claim to Apple that it's their fault you broke your phone more than once and succeed, then it's possible you'll get it replaced for a phone of a different color. Do what you want, but there's essentially zero chance you'll get a different colored iPhone.
How do you know what I intend to do? I was only asking a question. When did I say I intend to commit insurance fraud? And how is this a completely different situation, please explain; you seem to know so much.
Blorzoga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:19 PM   #31
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boulder, CO
How do you tell if your iPhone 5 is a refurbished unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
I have a white 5 and was wondering if I were to "break" it and use one of my AppleCare+ replacements, would they allow me to get a black one as a replacement?
There you go. If that doesn't display intent to commit insurance fraud, then my name is Barack Obama.

Also, it's different because in that guy's case, the faults lie with Apple and surfaced multiple times, so they did all they could to correct the issue and still have a happy customer. There's nothing wrong with your phone, you just want to exploit the system.
__________________
15" 2.66GHz C2D uMBP | 13" 2.4GHz i5 MBP 500GB | '07 MacBook
iPhone 6 64GB | iPhone 5 32GB | iPhone 8GB
אני רוצה לעשות עליה לישראל

Last edited by AlphaDogg; Feb 23, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:23 PM   #32
617aircav
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX1139 View Post
Apple doesn't do refurbished phones. They make 100% certified remanufactured phones. They rebuild the phones from scratch using brand new parts of expendables such as batteries, displays, enclosures. They might reuse things that don't wear out such as antennas or internal non-degradable hardware if they deem them to be 100% usable. In many ways, the remanufactured iphones are better than those coming off the assembly lines because they are built by hand using known good parts.

That being said... the iPhone is still very new so Apple hasn't built up enough used inventory to justify remanufacturing. So replacement iPhone 5's are probably from new stock. The older phones certainly are remanufactured because there are far more old ones than new.

By the way, you'd all know this if you actually read the warranty.
Um that's refurbished in it.
617aircav is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:28 PM   #33
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Had to have my phone replaced today (I tried to get them to repair it as I was going to lose Gmail Exchange) as the power button was giving out.

Got the slim white boxed replacement. Looks like a brand new out of box device. Only interesting thing was it had iOS 6.0.2 on it.
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:10 PM   #34
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
Something tells me your Macrumors classification is going to your head. I don't believe I said I wanted to intentionally break my phone, I was posing a hypothetical question. And I can say with 110% certainty that you don't know what you're talking about. I've read numerous accounts of people receiving a color swap. In the future, don't be so quick to judge or to make assumptions.
I know what I am talking about. You asked a question and then when you got an answer you didn't like, you refuse to accept it. Why did you even need to ask the question if you seem to think you know the answer?
__________________
I am a professional DJ
macingman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:02 PM   #35
THX1139
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Um that's refurbished in it.
Um no. Refurbished implies that they took a part or the unit that was defective, fixed it or cleaned it up and then sent it back out. The remanufactured iPhones are rebuilt from scratch using 100% new parts or used parts that are 100% non-degradable and certified by Apple to meet a standard. Nothing in the phone is fixed and reused. It's not that hard to understand but you are just paranoid thinking that the big bad Apple is out to rip you off.

What baffles me is when people expect to get a new retail phone when they are turning in a defective USED phone. If it's over 30 days, it's used... why should Apple be expected to give a NEW phone to replace a USED phone? Most of the defective phones turned in are in far worse cosmetic shape than the phones that Apple replaces them with.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodeye View Post
Only interesting thing was it had iOS 6.0.2 on it.
Why is that interesting? The phones are remanufactured and then installed with latest software at that moment. Then the phones sit in boxes waiting until they are needed. It could take a couple of months and they don't get updated while they wait to go into service. Apple techs don't always update the OS before handing it to the customer because it would take too long.
THX1139 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:11 PM   #36
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX1139 View Post


Why is that interesting? The phones are remanufactured and then installed with latest software at that moment. Then the phones sit in boxes waiting until they are needed. It could take a couple of months and they don't get updated while they wait to go into service. Apple techs don't always update the OS before handing it to the customer because it would take too long.
Interesting because any iPhone I have has replaced from the original iPhone to the iPhone 4S that was either replaced by warranty issues or AppleCare were always up to date. I would have at least expected 6.1 based off my prior experience.

Do you have a need to nit pick everyone's posts?
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:34 PM   #37
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX1139 View Post
Um no. Refurbished implies that they took a part or the unit that was defective, fixed it or cleaned it up and then sent it back out. The remanufactured iPhones are rebuilt from scratch using 100% new parts or used parts that are 100% non-degradable and certified by Apple to meet a standard.
FWIW, as someone already pointed out, Apple follows the exact same process with iPods/iPads and clearly calls them "refurbished".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 11.32.40 PM.png
Views:	352
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	399047  
aristobrat is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:53 PM   #38
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algo922 View Post
How do you tell if your iPhone 5 is a refurbished unit?

When the label says "John's iPhone" or there is an existing iCloud account, or the complete Bob Dylan compendium is included free.

Dunn worry about it, after your first dent (soon) u will forget this.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:28 PM   #39
Algo922
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
When the label says "John's iPhone" or there is an existing iCloud account, or the complete Bob Dylan compendium is included free.

Dunn worry about it, after your first dent (soon) u will forget this.
Doubt that, I won't be getting a dent anytime soon.. How people have cracked screens on their iPhone is beyond me
Algo922 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:35 PM   #40
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
If you can't even tell whether it's a refurb or new, what the hell does it matter :s?
__________________
Out of Warranty Replacements:
iPad mini Retina: $249; iPad Air, 3 & 4: $299; iPad mini: $219; iPad 2: $249; iPhone 6+: $369; iPhone 6: $329; iPhone 5: $299; iPhone 4S: $199; iPhone 4: $169
XboxMySocks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:36 AM   #41
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
If you can't even tell whether it's a refurb or new, what the hell does it matter :s?
Exactly!
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:49 AM   #42
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodeye View Post
Exactly!
"Omg, someone else may or may not have run code through the motherboard I'm using, my iPhone experience is ruined ((((((((((" Like honestly
__________________
Out of Warranty Replacements:
iPad mini Retina: $249; iPad Air, 3 & 4: $299; iPad mini: $219; iPad 2: $249; iPhone 6+: $369; iPhone 6: $329; iPhone 5: $299; iPhone 4S: $199; iPhone 4: $169
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:59 AM   #43
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
If you can't even tell whether it's a refurb or new, what the hell does it matter :s?
If you're OCD, it matters. Personally, I don't get if, but I'm not OCD. But I've seen enough posts here over the last eight years to know that for some, it really does matter. ::shrug::
aristobrat is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:37 PM   #44
UTMAC
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
No. that's just carried over from your backup data on your old phone.
Funny because the system was down so I had to set up as a new phone when I got it, so no backup was restored.

Last edited by UTMAC; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
UTMAC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:24 PM   #45
kissnoob
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodeye View Post
Had to have my phone replaced today (I tried to get them to repair it as I was going to lose Gmail Exchange) as the power button was giving out.

Got the slim white boxed replacement. Looks like a brand new out of box device. Only interesting thing was it had iOS 6.0.2 on it.
Ditto this.

I got my ip 5 replaced 2 weeks ago due to no sound coming out of earpiece. It is a white box, iOS 6.0.2 and serial# starting with DQ. It works well now.
kissnoob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:26 PM   #46
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissnoob View Post
Ditto this.

I got my ip 5 replaced 2 weeks ago due to no sound coming out of earpiece. It is a white box, iOS 6.0.2 and serial# starting with DQ. It works well now.
Serial starts with the same on mine too.
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:24 AM   #47
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
If its a refurb it will have dents all over. Or not. If you can't tell it really doesn't matter.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 08:13 PM   #48
sixstrings03
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
got a warranty replacement for my 5 today and they swapped my black/slate for a white/silver version when i asked.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Sure, within the 14 day return period. There are zero accounts of people receiving a color swap post this 14 day period.
I did today
__________________
iPad Air 128GB Wifi+LTE; iPhone 6 128GB Verizon
sixstrings03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:21 AM   #49
xproc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Malaysia
i replaced my iPhone at August, i ran serial check found these details...

http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi

Nice Name: iPhone 5
Machine Model: iPhone5,1
Name: iPhone 5
ModelCode: iphone_5
Family name: A1429
Model Number: MD299
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation: 7
CPU speed: 1.3GHz
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Black
Production year: 2013
Production week: 23 (June)
Model introduced: 2012
Capacity: 32GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Factory: F2 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

is it refurbs or new?
__________________
MacBook Air 13 2012 (sold), new iPad 2011(sold), iPhone 5 2012 (not yet), MacBook Air 11 2013 (latest addition)
xproc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:41 PM   #50
Chuck-Norris
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissnoob View Post
Ditto this.

I got my ip 5 replaced 2 weeks ago due to no sound coming out of earpiece. It is a white box, iOS 6.0.2 and serial# starting with DQ. It works well now.
does DQ mean refurbsihed?
Chuck-Norris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you tell if your iPhone 5s is a refurbished unit? Shaqq iPhone 24 Apr 23, 2014 02:22 AM
Returning my iPad 3 to Apple - will I get a refurbished unit back? maxap iPad 55 Mar 26, 2013 12:45 AM
Need help programming a Audio Unit that wraps a 3rd party audio unit andreizilla Mac Programming 0 Aug 6, 2012 10:36 AM
iPhone 4S v. regular GPS unit moonman239 iOS 6 6 Jul 25, 2012 03:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC