Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

T-Mobile Attacked by AT&T in Newspaper Ad Ahead of Potential Rebranding

According to TmoNews, T-Mobile is gearing up to introduce significant changes to its service in March, eliminating both contracts and early termination fees, along with implementing installment payments for its equipment. T-Mobile's move to end subsidies was confirmed by the company in late December.
Quote:
-For starters, kiss contracts goodbye as T-Mobile moves to a no-contract world. Existing customers will finish out their current contract or upgrade to a new device without a new contract, whichever comes first. New customers won't have to suffer with any long-term commitments. Contract wise that is.

-Early termination fees will be a thing of the past as well, which makes complete sense when announced with the removal of contracts.

-Expect the introduction of a new equipment installment plan tier, likely in the $25 - 30 dollar range as T-Mobile moves to make all its smartphones $99 or less as down payments. A $30 tier makes sense if you consider the retail value of the device is $699 = $30 x 20 monthly payments.
Along with the service updates, T-Mobile is also expected to refine its brand image, with a focus on its "Dual 4G" HSPA+ and LTE networks and the retirement of its former "Stick Together" tagline.

The news of T-Mobile's upcoming revamp comes just after AT&T posted full page ads in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and USA Today lambasting the carrier for dropped calls and slow download speeds.

The attack is a response to T-Mobile CEO John Legere, who called the AT&T network "crap" back in January. The animosity between the two companies began after AT&T failed to purchase T-Mobile following objections from the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice.

T-Mobile is the fourth largest carrier in the United States, behind AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. Though T-Mobile does not currently offer Apple products, Apple has confirmed that it plans to offer its products via T-Mobile in 2013.

Article Link: T-Mobile Attacked by AT&T in Newspaper Ad Ahead of Potential Rebranding
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:00 PM   #2
komodrone
Banned

Starcraft: "Base is under attack"
komodrone is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:01 PM   #3
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

they are acting like the mad ex-girlfriend
uknowimright is offline   39 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:05 PM   #4
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowimright View Post
they are acting like the mad ex-girlfriend

Beat me to it.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:07 PM   #5
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Based on watching our political leaders, Apple v Samsung, and ATT v Tmobile, I have learned that it's okay to be fully grown up yet act like a toddler on a regular basis.
madsci954 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

ATT poking fun at dropped calls? LOL

And tmobiles 4G is up to twice as fast as ATT's.
Dwalls90 is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:09 PM   #7
mic j
macrumors 68000

They are both right...and that's the sad state of affairs.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:09 PM   #8
FakeWozniak
macrumors 6502

T-Mobile must have hit a nerve. They must be doing something right.
I have 2 iPhones on ATT and 1 on T-Mobile.
FakeWozniak is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:09 PM   #9
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Hahahahahaha

http://m.cnet.com/news/at&t-yet-agai...in-us/57556144
dannyyankou is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:10 PM   #10
FirePhantom
macrumors member

If T-Mobile's network is so bad, then why did AT&T want to buy it?

Slimy move, AT&T.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

When T-Mobile starts carrying the iPhone, it will not be subsidized, so we will have to pay full price for it.

But they will finance it, so you don't have to eat the full price in one shot. Even when this happens, it will cost a lot less than buying it subsidized from AT&T and having to pay their grossly high rates. Plus, I'm sure T-Mobile will let us tether at no extra charge, like they currently do.

I think I will stay with T-Mobile and get the iPhone from them, as my iPad is already on AT&T's Unlimited Data Plan (can't tether or FaceTime over LTE).
Sometimes one has better reception than the other, so I can choose which one to use.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Arcady
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
That ad, both the content and the font choice, looks like it was created by a child.

AT&T sucks. (And my iPhone is on AT&T.)
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:13 PM   #13
poneley
macrumors newbie

I cannot wait for folks to ditch AT&T and the other big two cell companies for T-Mobile. Once T-Mobile gets full support of the iPhone, its game over. I know I'll be switching this fall.
poneley is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:13 PM   #14
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

So AT&T are the Samsung of cellar companies. Fearing their competitors, they release ads that bash them
adildacoolset is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Tuan X
macrumors newbie

So AT&T was like “Yo, what’s good baby? I got all this bread & I’m willing to spend it on you if you be my b*tch.” Even though he’s slow & very shallow, T-Mobile was like, “Ok boo, let’s plan this wedding. But since you ballin’ & everything you gotta get me a crib, a new whip & a puppy.” T-Mobile knew these gifts couldn’t be taken back if things didn’t go well. So T-Mobile & AT&T planned their wedding, even though they knew their parents may not approve because AT&T is Jewish & T-Mobile’s Atheist.

Time goes by, they're about to get married, but their parents are like, “Get the hell outta here you’re not marrying a (Jew/Atheist),” they’re forced to break up. AT&T is upset they didn’t get their girl. T-Mobile is like “ooohhh, sorry boo. Thanks for the whip though.”

T-Mobile quickly meets another guy, Metro PCS, he’s an atheist too! He doesn’t have much money but he’s got personality & is goal oriented. T-Mobile falls in love. They decide they want to get married & oddly Metro PCS agrees to change his name to hers (you know she got an ego); but T-Mobile’s willing to let Metro PCS wear the pants in the relationship.

AT&T, jealous as all hell, starts talking crap about T-Mobile. “Ohhhh, whatever yo, that chick is slow. Forget her. Look at me I’m ballin’, she know she miss this!” Clearly upset because he realized T-Mobile was playing him from the start.

Last edited by Tuan X; Mar 1, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Tuan X is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:14 PM   #16
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

I really detest the rise in negative advertising.
NutsNGum is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:16 PM   #17
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

because it's all fun and games with AT&T...
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:16 PM   #18
robvas
macrumors 68000

All valid points. It's tough to find people who love TMobile or Sprint, everyone on those networks is just pinching pennies.
robvas is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:18 PM   #19
Buduls
macrumors newbie

what a hell are drop calls, is that only american thing ? ...
Buduls is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:18 PM   #20
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePhantom View Post

Slimy move, AT&T.
Customer base
spazzcat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:19 PM   #21
starbird
macrumors 6502

Fighting between the two biggest distorters of what 4G is? Guess liars can't stand other liars.
starbird is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:21 PM   #22
majordude
macrumors 68020

I'd rather stand in line for seven hours and sign a two year contract with DMV than with AT&T. They are the worst company I ever dealt with. Poor cellular service and even worse customer service.
majordude is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:23 PM   #23
liltechdude
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePhantom View Post

Slimy move, AT&T.
One word: spectrum

EDIT: Also, everything in AT&Ts ad has held true for me. Here in Western PA, T-Mobile's network is terrrrible. Extremely slow. AT&Ts HSPA+ and LTE coverage in Pittsburgh is really good. While AT&T's LTE network doesn't have the large footprint like Verizon, where it is available its really fast. Consistent 40-50mbps down on LTE and 10mbps on HSPA+ and I'm within the city limits of Pittsburgh.
liltechdude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:27 PM   #24
Cali Fornia
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buduls View Post
what a hell are drop calls, is that only american thing ? ...
That's what I am thinking, every time I read about those statistics concerning the U.S.
Never understood the iPhone 4 Antennagate completely due to that.
Cali Fornia is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:29 PM   #25
Hakone
macrumors 6502

This is bad form.
Hakone is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion