Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:18 PM   #26
tekno
Banned

It makes good sense for the shareholders and Apple's sales figures, but I think it will take Apple further away from their roots.

But they can't make niche/excellent products if they want to appeal to the masses.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:22 PM   #27
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Yes, outside the US. As as hard as it is to believe, there are humans outside the US. But, really, who gives a damn about them...WE"RE THE US!!

Always good to have someone provide us mortals with TRUTH.

Also, I'm very impressed with your ability to communicate with the dead and know what Jobs thinks about stuff. Probably a salable skill!

Any other bits of TRUTH to impart...especially from the dead??

Steve jobs never intended to have Siri solve the tv issue.

Idiots made that up.

Btw Steve said he doesn't do cheap
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:22 PM   #28
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502

If Apple would decide to make an Apple quality phone that just ... er ... you know, made phone calls, then I might buy one.
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:27 PM   #29
whoareyouanyway
macrumors newbie

What? Apple wants to appeal to wider market? Apple wants to make money? no way man, no way.
whoareyouanyway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:31 PM   #30
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDCODGER View Post
If Apple would decide to make an Apple quality phone that just ... er ... you know, made phone calls, then I might buy one.
First, as an old codger myself, I love your user name.

I know this will come as a surprise, given the plethora of ca-ca that occupies most of the iPhone...but (I'm so embarrassed ), I actually make phone calls on the thing.

You know, actually speak, with my voice, to another human being, and have them speak back (I believe it's called conversing)...in real time!!!

(That "real time" usage was just to show how cool and in-the-know I, an old codger, am.)

Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:32 PM   #31
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Apple is working to develop new services to take advantage of the "stickiness" of the Apple ecosystem.
"Stickiness"?

LOL! Why to spread lipstick all over that thing Apple really calls, "My way or the High way".
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:34 PM   #32
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

It does make sense because the budget market is pretty much up for grabs right now. Right now it's owned by Android and Nokia, who's trying to hold on with their Asha line but is slowly getting pushed out by Android. Android taking over the budget market is why you hear about Android marketshare skyrocketing in places like China and India. Cheap Android handsets are basically becoming the new feature phones and dumbphones.

Google has no incentive to fight for budget marketshare because people that buy budget phones are typically too poor to afford a data plan or an internet connection. Google makes no money off them because they never use Google services. The budget market basically amounts to Google giving away their OS for free and getting little to nothing in return. They're not gonna fight Apple in this sector, there's no point. Budget Android OEM's might fight to retain marketshare but none of them have Apple's branding so it'll be a losing battle for them.

That whole budget sector along with its X millions of users = easy money for Apple if they want it
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:34 PM   #33
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

So someone riddle me this...

Why doesn't Apple make a low cost version of ALL their products?

Low cost Mac, low cost iPhone, iPad...

The least expensive iPhone is $450. What are they gonna do? Make 1 $200 unlocked?

Not buying it.
newyorksole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:41 PM   #34
Mr MM
macrumors 65816

Well, I find interesting the analysis but enterily misread.

Emerging markets share a lower income, and despite that we still have subsidized phones that come out at basically the price of one unlocked in the US, and yes make them in brazil, so despite the tax cuts that they receive, they still charge 2x as much for a phone that is not subsidized in any way

Despite all this the ipad mini hasnt arrived in brazil yet, and the problem here is going to be the price, you can buy a samsung tablet for U$350 (and yes thats cheap for us), it needs to arrive here around that to the top most of U$400

For example an ipad 2 costs U$625
Mr MM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:43 PM   #35
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
First, as an old codger myself, I love your user name.

I know this will come as a surprise, given the plethora of ca-ca that occupies most of the iPhone...but (I'm so embarrassed ), I actually make phone calls on the thing.

You know, actually speak, with my voice, to another human being, and have them speak back (I believe it's called conversing)...in real time!!!

(That "real time" usage was just to show how cool and in-the-know I, an old codger, am.)

Yeah, but at the current price of an iphone, I would want my conversations hand delivered! Give me a quality communication device - with no added extras, and at an appropriate cost, and I would consider it.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:43 PM   #36
Freyqq
macrumors 68040

they already sell an iphone that is free with contract. I don't see how this would fit into their model in the US
Freyqq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:48 PM   #37
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyqq View Post
they already sell an iphone that is free with contract. I don't see how this would fit into their model in the US
First, we are talking about the supply of cheap phones to the many countries that make up the rest of the planet.

Second, contract. That's the stopper for the many people who prefer to PAYG.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:49 PM   #38
Joe Walker
macrumors newbie

Well of course a CFO thinks a lower cost product is perfect for them!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:24 PM   #39
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsasa View Post
why lower cost? its already free with carrier subsidies.

where would this have its advantage? only outside USA?
I never understood americans view un subsidised phones?? It seems you think you are getting the phones for free, you even refer to the subsidised price when you talk about how much the phones cost. Do you know that you are actually paying more for the phone than they would cost paying full price right away? ...but the price is baked into the subscription...and the more money you pay to your carrier, the less you will have to pay for the phone.

We have these offers in Europe too, and most people use them, but at least we know itīs not a free phone.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:30 PM   #40
metzy25
macrumors 6502a

What do they mean lower cost? Lower cost to make or for the customer? From understanding that's what the 4 and 4s are doing?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:39 PM   #41
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
And what does that do to the flagship iPhone? I'm sure Apple will think long and hard about bringing a lower cost iPhone to market and what it might do to the flagship device. I'd be curious to know how much the mini is cannabalizing the full size iPad or if they have any stats on new customers coming into the Apple ecosystem because of the mini (which might offset some of the cannabilzation).
Cook said this at goldman conference, "if we don’t cannibalize, someone else will". So you can tell that there is no negative impact to the iPhone flagship or the iPhone line, as long as people buy the iPhones.

iPhone is common nowadays and maybe just maybe, the flagship iPhone can become one of those "status symbol" icon when the lower price iPhone comes out. I personally don't care about that, but lots of people see iPhone as a luxury items and treat it as an economic status.

I remember Jobs said when he introduce the iPhone in 2007 that there are 100 million phones sold worldwide. and they only want to grab 10% market share which now they have surpassed. Apple could grab more market share in developing countries.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:49 PM   #42
Fatalbert
Banned

A low-cost iPhone might hurt high-end iPhone sales and hurt Apple's good image. I don't want to see Apple selling half-***ed products.
Fatalbert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:04 PM   #43
flux73
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorGato1 View Post
Lower cost iPhone? how about the 3GS
Not if they can produce a lower cost iPhone that has Retina Display and a faster processor.
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:32 PM   #44
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I'd be curious to know ... if they have any stats on new customers coming into the Apple ecosystem because of the mini (which might offset some of the cannabilzation).
That was covered in the article.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post

But they can't make niche/excellent products if they want to appeal to the masses.
Ever since the iPod, Apple has been about nothing BUT appealing to the masses. You hadn't noticed?
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:35 PM   #45
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL18 View Post
Not against a cheaper iPhone for nations with a large population and no carrier subsidization.

AKA keep this out of the US and Canada where your margins are huge and most people pay 199 for your phone!
Why?
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:38 PM   #46
jimmirehman
macrumors regular

ill be the one to say it since no one else will... i could care less about the cost of the phone. I bought the first iphone that wasnt subsidized. What i do care about is the rising costs of data from the providers! i have 6 lines now, all with iphones... we blow through data.apple needs to lean into providers and bring back unlimited data. PERIOD!
jimmirehman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:05 PM   #47
carlgo
macrumors 68000

So you save a couple of hundred on a phone, but still pay thousands to ATT, etc. The carriers are what is expensive, at least in the US.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:11 PM   #48
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

So Apple Is doing it specifically for Chinese... Who do not want to buy iPhone 4 because it's "too old", nor they can buy iPhone 5 because it's too expensive. They really want the new and cheap one altogether. Good psychology. "All or nothing". In Apple's place I would take the iPhone 4 internals, stuff then into a cheap enclosure and sell as "iPhone 5 mini" or whatever they name it. Anyway that's what's going to happen, the cheap iPhone will have weaker internals just on par with the previous model. Renaming, that's what they actually need to do
Mactendo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:23 PM   #49
carterja
macrumors newbie

iphone 4 is the low cost iphone?
why make a new one, this one still sells like a beast.
carterja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:29 PM   #50
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL18 View Post
Not against a cheaper iPhone for nations with a large population and no carrier subsidization.

AKA keep this out of the US and Canada where your margins are huge and most people pay 199 for your phone!
It would make tons of sense for no-contract carries like Metro USA, Virgin Mobile, Boost, etc. Those phones are at full cost, meaning it's about $500 for an iPhone 4S right now. Drop a new model in there at $350 and you're competing with the Android-based phones sold by those companies.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion