Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:16 PM   #1
aphorist
macrumors newbie

Weird checkerboard pattern after crash

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, my iMac froze on the screensaver. I hard rebooted it. When it started back up, there were vertical stripes on the screen, even over the Apple logo on the startup screen. Then it went to this checkerboard pattern:

http://cl.ly/N5Rw

Figuring it was a bad video card, I made an appointment to take it to the Apple Store. But today I tried booting again, and it's working fine.

This is a mid-2011 20.5" iMac running 10.7.5. It could be a coincidence, but these issues started shortly after I installed AirPort Utility 6.2 and Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 4.04 via Software Update.

Do these issues seem familiar to anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imac_screen.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	398815  
aphorist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Really odd, sounds like an overheating/dieing video card, but the fact that the timing coincides with a software update could say otherwise.
Try watching temps using SMCFancontrol.
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
hummer28
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorist View Post
Hi everyone,

A few days ago, my iMac froze on the screensaver. I hard rebooted it. When it started back up, there were vertical stripes on the screen, even over the Apple logo on the startup screen. Then it went to this checkerboard pattern:

http://cl.ly/N5Rw

Figuring it was a bad video card, I made an appointment to take it to the Apple Store. But today I tried booting again, and it's working fine.

This is a mid-2011 20.5" iMac running 10.7.5. It could be a coincidence, but these issues started shortly after I installed AirPort Utility 6.2 and Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 4.04 via Software Update.

Do these issues seem familiar to anyone?
Did you add aftermarket ram? My 2012 iMac exhibited these same symptoms. I had Apple take a look. They indicated that all of their testing pointed to incompatible Ram. After I switched to Crucial ram I haven't had an issue with freezing since. However, my display recently started showing bright white spots in the bottom left hand corner. The spots are constant. Apple is replacing my unit with a new one.
hummer28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
aphorist
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, lucasfer899 and hummer28.

I installed SMCFanControl. I'm not sure what a normal temperature is, but it's currently showing 37 degrees C, or 98.6 F, which doesn't sound bad.

No, I haven't upgraded the RAM yet. It's stock everything. Glad your iMac is still under AppleCare, hummer28!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:14 PM   #5
UberGTO
macrumors newbie

I actually just had this happen this morning. Was listening to Pandora and playing Fieldrunners in Chrome when it happened. Noticed I was nearly maxing out the CPU and checked my temperatures 30 seconds before it started to flicker and they seemed a bit high.

First the screen started to flicker, then I got a number of artifacts on the screen. Music continued to play for 20 seconds before it locked up. Restarted and I have artifacts across the Apple logo. It boots after cooling down, but after 10 seconds of logging in starts all over again and reboots again.

Going to assume the video card is on its last leg. Fans are running ok, but 2 months ago when I was installing a new HD in it I noticed the Video card had some discoloration on it. Had hoped it would last a bit longer.

This is on my 2008 24" iMac with nVidia 8800 GS.
UberGTO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:39 AM   #6
aphorist
macrumors newbie

Well, It's been a few days and I haven't seen this issue again. I'm doing regular backups, so I guess I'll just wait and see. I wouldn't be surprised if the video card gives out before too long, but maybe it was a fluke (fingers crossed)...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac