Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Steve Jobs' Requirements for 'Fit and Finish' Leading to Massive Cost Overruns for Apple's New Campus

In a lengthy report today, Bloomberg Businessweek takes a look at Apple's upcoming "spaceship" campus in Cupertino, noting that the project is currently one year behind schedule and roughly $2 billion over budget.
Quote:
Since 2011, the budget for Apple's Campus 2 has ballooned from less than $3 billion to nearly $5 billion, according to five people close to the project who were not authorized to speak on the record. If their consensus estimate is accurate, Apple's expansion would eclipse the $3.9 billion being spent on the new World Trade Center complex in New York, and the new office space would run more than $1,500 per square foot--three times the cost of many top-of-the-line downtown corporate towers.
According to the report, Apple is working to shave $1 billion from the cost of the project before beginning construction.

Bloomberg Businessweek pins much of the responsibility for the cost issues on Steve Jobs, whose insistence on design and construction quality as well as unusual and expensive construction methods have defined the project.
Quote:
The true expense of the campus lies not in green tech, though, as much as the materials--as well as what product designers call "fit and finish." As with Apple's products, Jobs wanted no seam, gap, or paintbrush stroke showing; every wall, floor, and even ceiling is to be polished to a supernatural smoothness. All of the interior wood was to be harvested from a specific species of maple, and only the finer-quality "heartwood" at the center of the trees would be used, says one person briefed on the plan last year.
Among other unique details contributing to project costs:

- 6 square kilometers of curved glass manufactured by Seele in Germany using specialized processes to prevent clouding or distortions. Seele has doubled the size of its production facility to accommodate the project.

- Per Jobs' orders, gaps between surfaces should be no more than 1/32 of an inch, far tighter than the typical 1/8 inch standard in U.S. construction.

- Polished concrete ceilings are to be cast in molds and then raised into position to ensure uniformity, rather than being cast in place. The requirement "left one person involved in the project speechless."

The report notes that investors concerned over Apple's falling stock price and looking for the company to return more cash to shareholders are questioning Apple's commitment to following through on Jobs' vision for the new campus. The company may, however, have little choice in the matter if it seeks to maintain its image as an iconic and visionary company in the post-Jobs era.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Requirements for 'Fit and Finish' Leading to Massive Cost Overruns for Apple's New Campus
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:36 AM   #2
idkew
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to idkew
Steve's dead. Be sane and move on.
idkew is offline   55 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:37 AM   #3
green94
macrumors regular

Wwsd?
green94 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

They have the money, why not make something amazing.
Kissaragi is offline   70 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Cloudsurfer
macrumors 6502a

They have 140 billion on the bank. They can afford it. I hope they stay true to the vision of Jobs.
Cloudsurfer is offline   103 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:40 AM   #6
davie18
macrumors regular

They should make the pond in the centre the shape of the apple logo.
davie18 is offline   51 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

How does this translate to their products? Steve wanted perfection at any cost. How do we as consumers know we are getting great products if this is the direction Apple will be taking?
Klae17 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Arcus
macrumors 6502a

Meh. While I admire the attempt to create something great, why bother? I would think most people want their products to be good and could not give a crap about the building.

Idea to shave about 4 billion. Make it a normal building.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:40 AM   #9
peteullo
macrumors regular

These are the things you have to love about Steve Jobs... He was always strived for perfection. Impressive!
peteullo is offline   43 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:41 AM   #10
SatManager
macrumors Demi-God

Look! It is an UFO.
SatManager is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Bonte
macrumors 6502a

1/32 of an inch, won't this be problematic with the materials and temperatures?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:42 AM   #12
iScott428
macrumors regular

If you are going to spend billions on a new building, you had better do it right. I would probably take a vacation just to marvel at the beauty of the building and campus. Some folks just will not understand that. What is 2 billion more to Apple really??
2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   32 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

hopefully its finish before finding dory premiere.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Krazy Bill
Banned

The price of the 5S and all MBP's just went up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScott428 View Post
I would probably take a vacation just to marvel at the beauty of the building and campus.
You need a good woman my friend.
Krazy Bill is offline   32 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:43 AM   #15
sputnikv
macrumors regular

curves in construction are very expensive
sputnikv is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:43 AM   #16
dakwar
macrumors 6502

I say go for it.
dakwar is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:44 AM   #17
GoldenJoe
macrumors regular

I'm all for spending the money you earn however you like, and I appreciate fine craftsmanship, but it sounds like much of the cost here arose from arbitrary requirements. I don't really care what Apple does (it's not open to the public anyway), but if I were in their position, I think I would have opted for a second smaller campus on the east coast instead of allowing the budget to balloon.
GoldenJoe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:45 AM   #18
bazinga!!
macrumors member

Steve was brilliant but a nutcase when it comes to interior design. He even once ordered to paint the machines in his production hall when his father or mother came to visit (I don't remember which one) and several machines broke down.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:46 AM   #19
Arran
macrumors 65832

I'd love to see the business case for this.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:46 AM   #20
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
All of the interior wood was to be harvested from a specific species of maple, and only the finer-quality "heartwood" at the center of the trees would be used, says one person briefed on the plan last year
What happens with all the rest of the wood? Just discarded? Ridiculous demands like this often don't feel very environmentally friendly.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:46 AM   #21
MattJessop
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to MattJessop
I've gotta be honest, the level of dedication and perfection they put into this should match what they claim to do for products. They have the money, so I say why not.

Is it the most efficient way to spend the money? No. But that drive for perfection should really be embodied in every facet of the company if thats the standard you expect, including the building. That's what I like about Apple, the tiny little details that make such a difference.
MattJessop is offline   44 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:47 AM   #22
iScott428
macrumors regular

For those that question the need for a building like this read up on the Pixar studios and how the layout of the offices provides for an unparalleled collaborative effort between departments.
2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:47 AM   #23
thepowerofnone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
Meh. While I admire the attempt to create something great, why bother? I would think most people want their products to be good and could not give a crap about the building.

Idea to shave about 4 billion. Make it a normal building.
I don't think that you understand the importance of the building - its a symbol of Apple and Steve clearly wanted the building to reflect the products. People don't seem to appreciate just how crazy the tolerances on the iPhone 5 are and how much they must cost to implement, but at the end of the day they make the device what it is. Compare the iPhone 5 and the new BB Z10, they have similar designs but the iPhone 5 is put together in more expensive and complex ways at high tolerance, but the result is a significantly more impressive product. Its the same with buildings.
thepowerofnone is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:48 AM   #24
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

News source:
I predict a massive $2 billion cost overrun on a project that hasn't broken ground or even hired contractors yet.

Where are the facts?
spacepower7 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:48 AM   #25
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
If Apple doesn't go with it, then the entire company is dead to me.

I don't even know who's products I would buy anymore. I think I would have to found my own company just to replace Apple, just so I can have products built to the standards that Apple had when Jobs was at the healm.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   14 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion