Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:52 AM   #1
awesomest47
macrumors member

What does a cracked digitizer mean?

So I found this iPhone on eBay but the seller keeps saying "it has a cracked digitizer but is fully functional." How can this be possible?! I thought a cracked digitizer meant the phone didn't respond to touch in certain areas (these are areas that have a big white spot) how can the phone be functional?? I keep asking him where the white spots are but he's not messaging me a photo. What IS the impact of a cracked digitizer? How does one define "fully functional" Am I being scammed? Thanks!
awesomest47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
V0RT3X
macrumors newbie

Probably just a crack in the screen itself, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/Y7d98.jpg

I have a crack in the corner myself and the touch is still responding. It's gonna cost you around 200$ to replace the screen though.
V0RT3X is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Probably just you're usual used phone ripoff...
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

All you can rely on is, he specifically says you can return it within a certain period. If says no return, ur taking ur chances.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:26 PM   #5
vtails
macrumors newbie

Have you checked his score although this sometimes doesn't mean anything,If he doesn't answer you! How do you think he will treat you if something is really wrong with the phone<I had cracked my i4 really good so I bought a transparent Fr.&Bk 55 bucks watch some youtube got it done,But if the person doesnt respond I would move on beside's Ebay price's are to high for my liking and at least with Craigslist you get to see,feel,use you can call it in see if there's any problem's.
vtails is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

A cracked digitizer means the glass is cracked. The digitizer can still be 100% functional, but if there are white spots on the display, that is a sign of issues with the LCD.

Either way, you can get a DIY kit for anywhere from $25-$99 depending on what kind of quality you are looking for.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:26 PM   #7
awesomest47
macrumors member

Well.. here it is

Well, the seller just messaged me a picture of the iPhone. It's a 2G and doesn't look pretty but hey! For $30 you get what you pay for. I wish I could post a photo but I tell you it's lined with cracks [Iunder the screen. Strange... Thanks for everyone's help!
awesomest47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Can u even download a proper OS for a 2G? But $30 oh we'll, that's like what 4 lattes?
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
cracked digitizer, ebay, iphone, white spot