Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1
printz
macrumors regular

[Windows 7 Boot Camp 4] Can't right-click-drag with the trackpad!

Apparently I can no longer do right click drags with the trackpads on Boot Camp 4 and this severely limits my ability to do work! Does anyone else suffer this?

How I normally do it (works on OS X and used to work on my 2008 MacBook at least on WinXP): put 2 fingers on trackpad, put the thumb to press the button, then release one of the first two fingers and move the other one do to the drag. It works therefore like dragging with the right mouse button pressed. On paper it sounds complicated, but it's really natural.

The Windows application that requires right-click dragging is not customizable to work with another mouse button.

I installed Trackpad++, of which the author loves to brag, but it doesn't fix this issue.

And please don't suggest me unhelpful things like just using a mouse. I don't feel like either shelling money on a wireless mouse or losing a USB slot to a wired one.
printz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Asuriyan
macrumors 6502a

Does control-click to right click work in Windows?

EDIT: I see that it does not. But in Boot Camp options there are some settings regarding the trackpad. Perhaps one of those will do what you need?

Last edited by Asuriyan; Feb 22, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Asuriyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:56 AM   #3
GoSooners
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printz View Post
Apparently I can no longer do right click drags with the trackpads on Boot Camp 4 and this severely limits my ability to do work! Does anyone else suffer this?

How I normally do it (works on OS X and used to work on my 2008 MacBook at least on WinXP): put 2 fingers on trackpad, put the thumb to press the button, then release one of the first two fingers and move the other one do to the drag. It works therefore like dragging with the right mouse button pressed. On paper it sounds complicated, but it's really natural.

The Windows application that requires right-click dragging is not customizable to work with another mouse button.

I installed Trackpad++, of which the author loves to brag, but it doesn't fix this issue.

And please don't suggest me unhelpful things like just using a mouse. I don't feel like either shelling money on a wireless mouse or losing a USB slot to a wired one.
I suffered from this when I forgot to install the support drivers after installing Windows under Bootcamp. I hope you didn't make the same mistake and already installed it? It's found under the WindowsSupport folder on your USB drive when creating your Win7/Bootcamp stick.
GoSooners is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 06:28 AM   #4
printz
macrumors regular

Well, I installed all BootCamp drivers and also clicked again on the x64 version of the Trackpad one from the folder you mentioned. No luck.

Does anyone else have the same problem? This situation of course implies that you use a MacBook multitouch trackpad, on a certain BootCamp driver version and maybe even on a certain MacBook Pro version.
printz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
iVikD
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by printz View Post
Well, I installed all BootCamp drivers and also clicked again on the x64 version of the Trackpad one from the folder you mentioned. No luck.

Does anyone else have the same problem? This situation of course implies that you use a MacBook multitouch trackpad, on a certain BootCamp driver version and maybe even on a certain MacBook Pro version.
The bootcamp drivers that Apple provides don't play nice with the multitouch trackpad. I suggest you try Trackpad++, as it gives you all the functionality you get in OSX. You will need to install the Power Plan Assistant from the same page first. Here's the link: Trackpad++

Another solution, using Apple's own problem-solving methods, is to simply not use more than one finger on the trackpad at a time. If you want to drag, click down with one finger and drag that same finger. It is IMPERATIVE that you do not try to use multitouch gestures on your multitouch trackpad. Genius, eh?
iVikD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro