Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:30 AM   #1
bryan85
macrumors regular

Angry Furious over new advertisements in iTunes content.

I just downloaded season 5 episode 2 of Sons of Anarchy to find the first 23 seconds of the episode is an advertisement! I am ****in livid! This is ********!!! I ****in payed full price for a season pass and now I am being forced to watch advertisements. I am so furious right now that I cant even enjoy the show that I just downloaded. I feel as thought a serious amount of trust has been broken here. Im in so much disbelief right now. I will never buy content from iTunes again.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:32 AM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Really? I'm surprised. You would have though they would have put up an "agree to terms" window that says they will add adverts.

I agree, its pretty poor. What network is this show on?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:32 AM   #3
4God
macrumors 68000

Whoa, that sucks. That's the first I've heard of such a thing. I thought if we paid for episodes/seasons then we wouldn't have to deal with this. Shame.
4God is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:33 AM   #4
bryan85
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysee.... View Post
really? I'm surprised. You would have though they would have put up an "agree to terms" window that says they will add adverts.

I agree, its pretty poor. What network is this show on?
fx
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:38 AM   #5
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
fx
mmmm something to keep an eye on. Thanks for the heads up. Wonder if the UK will get this too.

----------

Edit:

Just had a thought. I wonder if this is due to deals being made with Networks for the new Apple TV Set top box and thats why we are starting to see ads.

*ponders*

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:40 AM   #6
4God
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
mmmm something to keep an eye on. Thanks for the heads up. Wonder if the UK will get this too.

----------

Edit:

Just had a thought. I wonder if this is due to deals being made with Networks for the new Apple TV Set top box and thats why we are starting to see ads.

*ponders*
I would still think that if you pay for a season/episode you shouldn't have to view ads. Or at least there should be an option to pay a lesser fee and agree to ads.
4God is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

It seems Fox does this with their content, FX is owned by Fox
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:58 AM   #8
brentsg
macrumors 68030

Thanks for the heads up. I definitely won't be buying any content with ads. What was the ad for?
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:51 AM   #9
NightStorm
macrumors 68000

As mentioned above, Fox has been doing this for some time now. Comedy Central did it for awhile as well, but I think they've backed off of it now.
Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (4x2TB)
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:54 AM   #10
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4God View Post
I would still think that if you pay for a season/episode you shouldn't have to view ads. Or at least there should be an option to pay a lesser fee and agree to ads.
That would be awesome, but entirely up to the content provider.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:10 AM   #11
s15119
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I just downloaded season 5 episode 2 of Sons of Anarchy to find the first 23 seconds of the episode is an advertisement! I am ****in livid! This is ********!!! I ****in payed full price for a season pass and now I am being forced to watch advertisements. I am so furious right now that I cant even enjoy the show that I just downloaded. I feel as thought a serious amount of trust has been broken here. Im in so much disbelief right now. I will never buy content from iTunes again.
Over-react much? It's amazing the things that get people so upset they have to type *****. Most certainly first world problems. 23 Seconds you will never, ever get back.
s15119 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:11 AM   #12
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

im pretty sure DVDS have ads at the begining too, and you pay for those
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Rigby
macrumors 65816

I agree that this is unacceptable considering the prices for TV shows on iTunes. What's next, commercial breaks every 5 minutes in our paid content?

At the very least Apple needs to disclose on the store page if an episode contains advertisements. Please make sure to write a short review if you encounter something like this, so others are warned.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStorm View Post
As mentioned above, Fox has been doing this for some time now.
Which Fox shows are affected? The only FX show I have is Justified, and that did not have ads so far.
Rigby is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:31 AM   #14
bpaluzzi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisforiphone View Post
im pretty sure DVDS have ads at the begining too, and you pay for those
Yup, and movies in the theater.
And premium cable, a la HBO / Showtime.
And standard cable.
And magazines.
And newspapers.

All of which you pay for.

If you're really this upset about receiving advertisements just because "OMG I PAID FOR THIS", that reflects more on you than it does on Apple/FX.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:33 AM   #15
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Are these ad's for products or other shows they produce?

MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Rigby
macrumors 65816

I have never seen a TV show DVD that has ads before every single episode. Usually they have some easily skippable movie trailers when you insert the DVD, nothing more.
Rigby is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:11 PM   #17
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

yeah, what type of ads?
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:23 PM   #18
bryan85
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Are these ad's for products or other shows they produce?
It was an ad for the network FX and some of their shows.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpaluzzi View Post
Yup, and movies in the theater.
And premium cable, a la HBO / Showtime.
And standard cable.
And magazines.
And newspapers.

All of which you pay for.

If you're really this upset about receiving advertisements just because "OMG I PAID FOR THIS", that reflects more on you than it does on Apple/FX.
I don't got to the movies often for multiple reasons.
I don't have cable for the past 10 years because I can't stand advertisements.
No magazines, or newspaper.
I run a browser with adblock to kill what doesn't get caught at the DNS level.

The reason I was so upset is because I felt duped. Apple normally doesn't have advertisements and with that I have been selling all of my physical media for iTunes content. Now I have found out the hard way that they do allow advertising in their content and it's very frustrating having made the commitment to convert all of my content.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:33 PM   #19
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Well...

Technically, you didn't pay full price, you paid a license fee to iTunes that allowed you to download and view the content.

Without advertising support, we'd pay a lot more for video from iTunes and similar.

23 seconds though? Seriously? That's either 10 or 5% of the show. Seems reasonable to me.

Disappointing, sure.
tdhurst is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:46 PM   #20
Rigby
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Technically, you didn't pay full price, you paid a license fee to iTunes that allowed you to download and view the content.
What does that even mean? Of course we paid full price. And quite often the shows are equally or even more expensive on iTunes than on DVD/Blu-ray.
Quote:
Without advertising support, we'd pay a lot more for video from iTunes and similar.
Given that so far shows/movies on iTunes didn't have any ads, I don't understand how you come to this conclusion.

I really do not like this, since one of the main reasons why I buy shows on iTunes is to escape the ads, especially on network shows. If this takes hold, I for one will look for alternatives.
Rigby is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:49 PM   #21
bryan85
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post

23 seconds though? Seriously? That's either 10 or 5% of the show. Seems reasonable to me.

Disappointing, sure.
I most definitely paid full price for my content. $35 or so for a season pass. The same amount or if not more than what it would cost for the Blu-Ray equivalent.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:51 PM   #22
bpaluzzi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I most definitely paid full price for my content. $35 or so for a season pass. The same amount or if not more than what it would cost for the Blu-Ray equivalent.
The Blu-Ray equivalent which is also subsidized by ads. That's the point.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:00 PM   #23
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Huh?

Uh guys, you really don't think the price iTunes charges for completely makes up for the millions of dollars it costs to produce and market TV shows, do you?

Even if a super-popular show was supported entirely by $35/season downloads, it wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of producing it. The overage is paid for by advertisers that pay money to the production studios.

Network shows can't currently exist without some kind of advertising. The market that purchases content online do not, as of this time, completely cover the cost of production.

Maybe for stuff like Louie, sure. But not the bigger network shows.
tdhurst is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:06 PM   #24
bryan85
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpaluzzi View Post
The Blu-Ray equivalent which is also subsidized by ads. That's the point.
I understand the point, but also understand that Apple has set a precedent with no advertisements in their content. This is a huge deal to some, a major selling point. They are now allowing content providers to include advertisement in the content. This is a big shift in Apple's policy(set by precedent), and they did so without warning the consumer.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:19 PM   #25
brentsg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I understand the point, but also understand that Apple has set a precedent with no advertisements in their content. This is a huge deal to some, a major selling point. They are now allowing content providers to include advertisement in the content. This is a big shift in Apple's policy(set by precedent), and they did so without warning the consumer.
I agree with this completely.

I actually buy some iTunes TV content simply because I work out while watching and don't want to mess with watching/skipping commercials because it's inconvenient. Plus when streamed, who wants an ad per episode? I'd prefer to buy on Blu-ray and rip myself if that's where we're headed.

Of course everyone has their own tolerance level for these things.
brentsg is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater