Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:41 PM   #1
mets3214
macrumors newbie

Can't setup Exchange Gmail on new iPhone 5

I exchanged my Iphone 5 today for a new one at the apple store because of a faulty power button. After restoring my backup, it asked me to enter passwords for my all my email accounts. Everything was going well until gmail says that "the connection to the server failed", I've tried deleting the account and starting it again but it still doesn't work. It worked when I set it up as gmail instead of exchange but I really need the push email, I also deleted and restarted the account on my old Iphone 4 just now and it worked perfectly. What seems to be the problem?
mets3214 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:05 AM   #2
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets3214 View Post
I exchanged my Iphone 5 today for a new one at the apple store because of a faulty power button. After restoring my backup, it asked me to enter passwords for my all my email accounts. Everything was going well until gmail says that "the connection to the server failed", I've tried deleting the account and starting it again but it still doesn't work. It worked when I set it up as gmail instead of exchange but I really need the push email, I also deleted and restarted the account on my old Iphone 4 just now and it worked perfectly. What seems to be the problem?
If I remember right google cut off the exchange setup of gmail accounts about a month ago. So when you changed device it will not accept the gmail as an exchange server. If you need push as I understand you will have to download the gmail app from the app store. I just checked the date and it was January 30th that they quit supporting exchange.
HiddenPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:15 AM   #3
pokenguyen
macrumors member

Will complete restore by iTunes remove Gmail exchange association ?
pokenguyen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:31 AM   #4
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokenguyen View Post
Will complete restore by iTunes remove Gmail exchange association ?
Not sure on this question. I was waiting to hear that someone had deleted a gmail account and tried to set it up as exchange to verify that google had cut it off and seems that way. The only way I know for sure would be to try. At some point you will have to do a full restore and so you might as well try and see.

I think at some point they will force all of us to us the gmail app.

On a side note I found out that they have quit supporting google sync for windows. So in the near future the only way we will have to sync outlook with google is to use google apps.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:21 AM   #5
mets3214
macrumors newbie

I deleted all my other email accounts thinking it would help but it didn't so now my exchange email for my school wont setup and gives me the same error message that it can't connect to the server. My phone just cant setup any exchange email
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I deleted all my other email accounts thinking it would help but it didn't so now my exchange email for my school wont setup and gives me the same error message that it can't connect to the server. My phone just cant setup any exchange email
Then you're doing something wrong. I have my work exchange set up and running on my newly replaced iPhone 5. However I lost my gmail exchange, as stated here. There's no going back for gmail, however your school exchange should remain unchanged.
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:29 PM   #7
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Just finished setting up my school email on my wife's iPhone with not problem make sure you have all the info you need such as "server", domain, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:08 PM   #8
mets3214
macrumors newbie

I'm doing it the same way I've always done it and its not working. Domain is blank, server is m.outlook.com and I enter my username and password. It also keeps saying that my password is incorrect when it all worked perfectly on my previous iphone 5 and iphone 4, this is frustrating!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:50 PM   #9
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm doing it the same way I've always done it and its not working. Domain is blank, server is m.outlook.com and I enter my username and password. It also keeps saying that my password is incorrect when it all worked perfectly on my previous iphone 5 and iphone 4, this is frustrating!
I have always put the actual server address as :xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

What ever those numbers were for my server. Not sure when you put the .com address. I also have always had to put the domain
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Fant
macrumors regular

Make sure when it asks for username you put your full address
Fant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:18 AM   #11
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

If it's an Outlook.com hosted address shouldn't you be adding it as a Hotmail account?
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:36 PM   #12
veliko
macrumors newbie

Smile Microsoft Exchange not working on iPhone 5 and therefore cannot sync Google contacts.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION that I hope works for you as well....

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...ne-2012-9?op=1

Background: Here is the solution since Google stopped support of Exchange in February 2013 for any new device Ė including iPhone5. All I wanted to do is keep my Google contacts in sync with the phone. There is no problem with Gmail because all you have to do is add your Gmail account.

It took me days to find this link WHICH IS THE SOLUTION I needed! I previously went to the Apple Store as well as the Microsoft Store with no resolve. Apple said itís a Microsoft Exchange problem and Microsoft told me itís an Apple phone.
If this helped, let me know.
veliko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:14 PM   #13
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by veliko View Post
HERE IS THE SOLUTION that I hope works for you as well....

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-t...ne-2012-9?op=1

Background: Here is the solution since Google stopped support of Exchange in February 2013 for any new device Ė including iPhone5. All I wanted to do is keep my Google contacts in sync with the phone. There is no problem with Gmail because all you have to do is add your Gmail account.

It took me days to find this link WHICH IS THE SOLUTION I needed! I previously went to the Apple Store as well as the Microsoft Store with no resolve. Apple said itís a Microsoft Exchange problem and Microsoft told me itís an Apple phone.
If this helped, let me know.
Not really a solution for mail for those who are used to (and want) push support for Gmail, for example.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:42 PM   #14
TechiEmmanuel
macrumors member

Can't setup Exchange Gmail on new iPhone 5

*deleted*

Last edited by TechiEmmanuel; May 23, 2014 at 08:20 PM.
TechiEmmanuel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:09 AM   #15
macalec
macrumors 6502

Gmail got Reid of the active sync support. I am disappointed by this.
macalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:21 AM   #16
franrisquez
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Not really a solution for mail for those who are used to (and want) push support for Gmail, for example.
Hi, just had a similar issue with my new iPhone 5; I just connected to a Wifi network and don't use you cellular data plan to add my Gmail account; it worked inmediately. I was also having problems with an outlook.com account, and it was solved after I used my Wifi network. Just don't use your data plan to connect to your Gmail account. By the way, as it was added, now the Gmail account works also with cellular data plan. Hope this helps.

----------

Quote:
Hi, just had a similar issue with my new iPhone 5; I just connected to a Wifi network and don't use you cellular data plan to add my Gmail account; it worked inmediately. I was also having problems with an outlook.com account, and it was solved after I used my Wifi network. Just don't use your data plan to connect to your Gmail account. By the way, as it was added, now the Gmail account works also with cellular data plan. Hope this helps.
franrisquez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:30 AM   #17
jsf721
macrumors 6502

So you are saying that you could set up the exchange email on your phone by using the wifi only and then turning on the cellular it worked perfectly correctly as exchange?

That is geat news if I undersatand you correctly.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by franrisquez View Post

----------

jsf721 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting