Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:48 PM   #1
kylera
macrumors 6502a

What do you do with your fiction novels?

I'm cleaning house right now - not just cleaning, but also getting rid of stuff in anticipation of a move sometime later in the year so I don't have a lot of stuff to take with me.

One dilemma I'm in right now is what to do with my collection of novels. I don't claim to be a literary connoisseur, but I do like what I read. At least 1/4 of them are Tom Clancy books (Hunt for Red October, Rainbow Six, etc.), with another 1/4 being Star Wars books, and the rest being works like 1984, Animal Farm, Catch-22, etc. along with English translations of foreign books.

Should I get them scanned and get rid of the physical books, or should I just hold onto them? I do like reading them every now and then, though...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:59 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I would donate them to a library, youth center, retirement home, etc.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:07 PM   #3
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I would donate them to a library, youth center, retirement home, etc.
I don't know whether they would be of much use. All of my novels are in English, but the places here only carry Korean books. But then again, it's worth asking anyway. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

There is a service that will scan them for you, a few bucks per copy. But honestly, you might find the digital versions for that same price, so I'd just either sell them to come up with the funds to buy the digitals, or donate them. Decide if you can like reading digital books first even, some people still don't.

I actually put all my books from middle school and high school into an point based auction few years ago on a website (well, all of them that didn't have 2,058,747 lines of notes all over them ). Almost $30 to ship, but now I don't have them collecting any dust under my bed and in the closet.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
I don't know whether they would be of much use. All of my novels are in English, but the places here only carry Korean books. But then again, it's worth asking anyway. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
if you're in Seoul there's going to be an english language bookstore there. English speaking tourists often find themselves searching for reading material in the middle of a trip. Find an english language travel guide book and the odds are it'll include the name of a book store that sells books in english. They'll take them off your hands.
Macky-Mac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:18 AM   #6
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky-Mac View Post
if you're in Seoul there's going to be an english language bookstore there. English speaking tourists often find themselves searching for reading material in the middle of a trip. Find an english language travel guide book and the odds are it'll include the name of a book store that sells books in english. They'll take them off your hands.
You're right. I completely forgot about one that primarily caters to the foreign community. Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:32 AM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
You might want to donate them to a school that teaches English. They could let the students read them in order to practice.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky-Mac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
You might want to donate them to a school that teaches English. They could let the students read them in order to practice.
These two posts would be among my suggested solutions, as well.

Other solutions would be to give them away to English speaking friends & colleagues; I've worked abroad for years at a time, and English speaking colleagues (and friends) were always delighted to receive boxes of English language reading material when I departed.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion