Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
I recently jailbroke and I'm noticing that my usage times are going up. I mean it seems like something is going on more after i lock the phone. The times arent the same as the standby but I'm noticing that usage is more before it actually goes to sleep. Im not having any abnormal battery drain but im getting higher usage times than before. Its probably fine but rather annoying! Is this normal for a jailbreak phone? Should i just ignore it? Im on a iphone 5 6.1.

Auxo
Bytafont
Sbsettings
Bitesms

Thats all i have for tweaks currently.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I recently jailbroke and I'm noticing that my usage times are going up. I mean it seems like something is going on more after i lock the phone. The times arent the same as the standby but I'm noticing that usage is more before it actually goes to sleep. Im not having any abnormal battery drain but im getting higher usage times than before. Its probably fine but rather annoying! Is this normal for a jailbreak phone? Should i just ignore it? Im on a iphone 5 6.1.

Auxo
Bytafont
Sbsettings
Bitesms

Thats all i have for tweaks currently.

Is it possible you're paying closer attention to that now that your phone is jailbroken? If battery life is the same as pre-jailbreak I'd just ignore it. I'd be concerned if the battery was dying in just a few hours but if all is normal my guess is that it's fine.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Is it possible you're paying closer attention to that now that your phone is jailbroken? If battery life is the same as pre-jailbreak I'd just ignore it. I'd be concerned if the battery was dying in just a few hours but if all is normal my guess is that it's fine.

I've been paying about the same amount of attention as before. I've always kept a close eye on my usage times pre jailbroken. And now its different.

In the pre-jailbroken state when I'd lock the phone generally the usage times will stop too as the standby time of course continues to rise. Now that im jailbroken the usage times will periodically keep rising with the standby times as the phone is locked. This must mean that some processes are still running sometimes when the phone is locked. Im assuming its some of the jailbreak tweaks that aren't going to sleep properly in the background in standby that are causing the increased usage. Like i said above it doesn't seem to be eating battery so thats good! Its just rather annoying that its saying I'm getting usage times higher than when the phone is actually awake and I'm using it like before the jailbreak!

This is probably normal for jailbroken phones I'm guessing since all the apps aren't perfectly coded to stay asleep like the apple approved ones.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
HI,

Your not alone in your conundrum.

Lots of live threads with people talking about if a jail-break and downloaded tweaks has affected their usage times, along with the same type of talk from users with stock phones.

Before I JB I typically got a days usage out of my ip5 and after jail-breaking i still get a days usage.

I normally close down my open apps except for a couple of stock ones before I place my phone on charge but thats just my routine. I also turn my phone off at least once a week to help my phone reset, again as just my routine.

One tip about battery life is to turn off the % reading and simply enjoy !

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Auxo has a known memory leak. The developers are releasing a new version soon to address this.

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
Could it also be that perhaps jb has made the phones normal resources behave differently? I dont know how jb "masks" itself over normal ios, but perhaps this causes slower reactions in some fashion. Just guessing. Many apps and tweaks in jb require extra things to run in background to work. Auxo for example uses a layer snap shotter, flux for example will adjust screen brightness more frequently.. Check sbsettings>mobile substrate options, to get an idea of how many little processes are existing that are new because of jb'ing & any apps/tweaks too. Dont mess with them though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.