Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Ok, so I added some repo and downloaded some app. I forget what it was...It made my phone go to the activation screen and wouldn't let me activate it. I had to restore my phone in DFU mode.

Before it went to this screen, the apple logo appeared and had a strange shimmer animation to it.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
'Nuff said. If you go around downloading stuff from Cydia willy nilly you are bound to encounter an issue at some point.

Yea, that part was obvious. What I asked was wether or not it could have been malicious.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Yea, that part was obvious. What I asked was wether or not it could have been malicious.

Probably wasn't malicious, was most likely just something that was badly programmed and/or hasn't been recently updated. Most certainly could have been malicious, though again, probably not.

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
If you download repos and/or apps directly from Cydia itself, Cydia does a pretty good job of warning you if the proposed dl is incompatible with your device or ios version. :D However, if you go to one of the "hack" sites, you are on your own, and need to know what you are doing and what you are dl.:eek:

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
Learning the ropes

Ok, so I added some repo and downloaded some app. I forget what it was...It made my phone go to the activation screen and wouldn't let me activate it. I had to restore my phone in DFU mode.

Before it went to this screen, the apple logo appeared and had a strange shimmer animation to it.

Happened to me once, learned my lesson, it's not the app, it's the user and lack of knowledge on the subject.

Learn from it

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Go to "some" random repo and download "some" random app and you're surprised it wrecked your phone? :rolleyes:

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
What's with all the hate guys? I wasn't asking for help, just about the capabilities of a virus. Sounds like some of you have no experience with what happened therefore I must assume your'e trolling....y'all see me rolling, why you trolling? Trying to catch me riding dirty?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.