Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Why do so many jailbreak apps cost money? I've rooted many android phones and the stuff is free. A lot of trivial things cosy like 3$ on cydia whereas the same thing is free on android. Here's an example: want to turn your phone off like an old TV? PAY 5$!....On android, that stuff is built in for free. Same goes for tethering, themes, tweaks, all sorts of stuff. WTH?

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Because time is valuable.

That makes no sense at all within the scope of this topic. Why do trivial android features cost so much for iOS? I imagine the same caliber of people program both. What happened to people doing this for fun?

I guess it's clear: Android does it for fun, whereas iOS is greedy...$5 to make your screen turn off like a TV is greedy.

slowsupra

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2013
To be fair there are a whole lot of paid themes/apps for android too, I remember paying $1 for Lucid, the Sense 4/popstyle CM10 themes are also over a dollar, and Root Explorer cost money just like iFile. Want notification bubbles that come stock on iOS while using Apex? That will be $4! Want gesture support like the free app activator gives while using Nova? That's $4 too. Lucky the Chinese came though or $3 WidgetLocker would be the only way to get a customizable lockscreen.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
This is actually an interesting point but I guess it would have to do with the fact that jailbreaking phones is much rarer than say, rooting. A developer spends time working on an app and on the next jailbreak, it is likely broken and the developer needs to spend time to update it.

That being said, the most popular jb apps are still free (sbsettings, winterboard, e.g.).

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I had the same realization back when I started using OS X around the time SL came out. Every little tweak costs money on Apple devices.

On the other hand these tweaks tend to be better integrated with the OS, aesthetics-wise.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Why do so many jailbreak apps cost money? I've rooted many android phones and the stuff is free. A lot of trivial things cosy like 3$ on cydia whereas the same thing is free on android. Here's an example: want to turn your phone off like an old TV? PAY 5$!....On android, that stuff is built in for free. Same goes for tethering, themes, tweaks, all sorts of stuff. WTH?

Then go back to Android where they believe they are entitled to developers working for free.

Do you work? Do you get paid? If so, why? Shouldn't you work for free? Afterall, you expect iOS developers to work for free.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Then go back to Android where they believe they are entitled to developers working for free.

Do you work? Do you get paid? If so, why? Shouldn't you work for free? Afterall, you expect iOS developers to work for free.

Yawn. I've seen this reply copy and pasted from somewhere before...

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
A better question is why do so many folks want everything for free. I like a good deal, i use coupons and search for the best price on things. However i do not expect things to be free. If someone makes a product that i like i am happy to pay them for it.

Not sure if it is my age or the part of the country i grew up in but i do not expect folks to do things for free. Create something that i want and i am not offended to pay you for it.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Yawn. I've seen this reply copy and pasted from somewhere before...

And I've seen your other, entitled, "I want everything free" posts as well. You refused to answer my questions, too. Typical. You want paid, but everyone who produces a product or service you think you need should do it for free.

Go back to your pirate boards where you will feel more comfortable with other amoral people.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
And I've seen your other, entitled, "I want everything free" posts as well. You refused to answer my questions, too. Typical. You want paid, but everyone who produces a product or service you think you need should do it for free.

Go back to your pirate boards where you will feel more comfortable with other amoral people.

Pirate? What are you talking about?

Edit: Why, for the most part, do android devs do this for fun when iOS devs don't?(aside from a few decent tweaks that are free)

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Don't let this thread/thread starter drag you into a topic that's been discussed AD NAUSEAM.

Whatever honest response you submit, will be disregarded by thread starter. :(

Eclipse538

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
I'm actually nice in real life

I can tell you why in a nicer way without being a jerk, my apologies. Take 2. Action! :) :cool:

WHen people do things, They don't always "do it for fun". Sometimes they do it because they're good at it, or because they have a service to offer, or because they want to make some money. And sometimes It's all three reasons, or some other reasons I don't know. Now as far as I know, from when I've been part of this shindig, this wasn't "All for fun." It was and is a means to customize a device that is Mostly not customizable otherwise... Now if you do the math and you're objective in this process, we can see that the economy and making money isn't always in OUR (common mans) favors.. Sometimes when we take the time do to things, even if "it's for fun", It can end up consuming more time than we anticipated, or even during the times of conception, one may realize that even though this is what they are good at, it may be exhausting... And to overcome either of these hurdles, one may consider Making a little MONEY quite a good incentive to creating, completing, updating an otherwise very expensive project in terms of MONEY or TIME. :D

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I prefer paid software. That means the developer is getting something out of it, and I can send emails with bugs and feature requests without feeling greedy

I have software that I made myself (on Android), that I've had multiple requests to release, but refused. I simply don't want the hassle of dealing with different OS versions and devices, bugs caused by interaction between apps, and a ton of other ********.

I make apps both for the fun of it and because my phone wouldn't be 10% as useful as it is if it wasn't for all the custom stuff. But why on earth should I spend my time doing that for anyone else? Do you live in some weird city where the mailmen, garbage collectors, store clerks work for free? I doubt it. If you're an electrician, you probably help out friends and family for free, but you don't advertise in the local newspaper that you'd be happy to come over to someone's house and help them out.

Moreover, I wouldn't even release it for money, because to me, the few dollars you get for an app is not worth the hassle unless you sell a ton of it.

I realize there are people out there who release apps for free, are happy to fix bugs that only appear for some people, and add features on request. You people are saints. Seriously, you are really, really great people.
However, doing that should be a completely voluntary exception, not the rule. No one is entitled to complain that a tweak costs money just because other tweaks don't.

I'd rather have a dev charge $10 for a TV shutoff animation than to have that dev make it and keep it for himself. If he chooses to provide it for free, great, awesome guy, but that's completely his choice. No one has the right to demand free software, the only thing they have is the right to not buy an app. It's better to have an app out there for $10 than to have the developer not want to release it because it's not worth the hassle.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Well, I went through my paypal emails and in two years time I've spent a grand total of 14 bucks with cydia.

$2.49 for folderenhancer
$1.99 for colorprofiles
$1.99 for springtomize
$0.99 for springtomize 2
$1.49 for gridtab
$1.99 for wifianalyzer
$2.99 for actionmenu

And a tenner towards the evaders, but that's free for everyone to decide.

Do I sound like an isheep if I wonder where the problem is? Let's face it people, software for mobile phones is cheap as chips. People who perceive the cost of tweaks as a problem really have issues. Sorry OP.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Some seriously long replies here...all I'm saying is that Android does it for fun, and iOS does it for profit. I miss 2007.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Some seriously long replies here...all I'm saying is that Android does it for fun, and iOS does it for profit. I miss 2007.

Yeah well, just like you I prefer free tweaks as well. But if stuff that I want costs a few bucks I'll pay for it. In the end, the choice between iOS and Android is full of compromises, and the point you raise is simply one of them.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Yeah well, just like you I prefer free tweaks as well. But if stuff that I want costs a few bucks I'll pay for it. In the end, the choice between iOS and Android is full of compromises, and the point you raise is simply one of them.

Yea, I'll agree here. iOS is smoother/easier to use than android. I'll pay a premium to use iOS. Just wish that people saw this more of a hobby when it comes to trivial tweaks like animations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.