Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:41 AM   #1
SR71
macrumors 65816

Imagine if this was in your iPhone...

This could change everything. Cars, smartphones, hell... anything with a battery. Really crazy stuff.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:04 PM   #2
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71 View Post

This could change everything. Cars, smartphones, hell... anything with a battery. Really crazy stuff.
That was pretty incredible. I don't keep up with battery tech at all honestly but to me, this seems like the next big thing it power technology. I didn't happen to hear in the video if they said charging a device such as a phone in those 30 seconds would consume less power overall.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
That was pretty incredible. I don't keep up with battery tech at all honestly but to me, this seems like the next big thing it power technology. I didn't happen to hear in the video if they said charging a device such as a phone in those 30 seconds would consume less power overall.
Same energy stored, more power required to charge faster. Power is the rate at which energy is used. 1watt = 1joule per second.
Watts= power
Joules=energy
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:19 PM   #4
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
Same energy stored, more power required to charge faster. Power is the rate at which energy is used. 1watt = 1joule per second.
Watts= power
Joules=energy
But it almost sounded as if they were requiring less power to do the same tasks. I'll have to read up on it. I've never heard of graphine (sp?). So in essence, you didn't even require to store as much energy to get longer life out of your devices with this new technology.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
But it almost sounded as if they were requiring less power to do the same tasks. I'll have to read up on it. I've never heard of graphine (sp?). So in essence, you didn't even require to store as much energy to get longer life out of your devices with this new technology.
Only your device can change its energy needs, not the storage device.

Capacitors are nice because they can be charged quickly and have much longer life than a battery. They also have much less internal resistance, thus they can discharge faster.( higher power due to energy over time release). Less internal resistance also means less wasted energy since power equals current squared times resistance.
Mrg02d is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:09 PM   #6
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
Only your device can change its energy needs, not the storage device.

Capacitors are nice because they can be charged quickly and have much longer life than a battery. They also have much less internal resistance, thus they can discharge faster.( higher power due to energy over time release). Less internal resistance also means less wasted energy since power equals current squared times resistance.
Obviously I'm not an electric engineer and didn't pay attention during those parts of my science classes. thanks for the info.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone