Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
What are some activities ipad is useful for but not on laptop or smartphone? Any suggestions to make the most out of ipad?

Stewart21

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
South Yorkshire
What are some activities ipad is useful for but not on laptop or smartphone? Any suggestions to make the most out of ipad?

Well, it depends on what you like doing. I read books on my iPad Mini but I also have a Kobo Touch as iPads are not good in bright light whereas the Kobo is. I also keep in touch with news - the BBC app is good for that. I keep up with tech news using iGeeky which aggregates tech news from many sites. I play Angry Birds a little although my favourite games are word games, Word Solitaire is my current fave. Also use Netflix a little and BBC iPlayer. I use the Gmail app for mail. I also use the Appsgonefree app which tells you which apps have gone from paid to free. That way you can try out a lot of things and if you don't like them it's cost you nothing. Currently trying out some photo apps including Panorama which is fun.

Hope this helps.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Does anyone find it too heavy to be a good portable e-reader.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011

For me the full size iPad is too heavy for reading eBooks. However the iPad Mini is perfect.

I enjoy reading the news with the Flipbook and Zite Apps.

I also really like listening to music via the Pandora and Slacker Radio Apps.

For some reason I have to be reading something when I am eating at the table and the iPad (either full size or mini) is great for that.

There are many art/sketching Apps that are really fun to use on the iPad when you're feeling creative.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA

I use an iPad 4 which I believe is the heaviest of all iPads and I do not find it to be heavy at all. I read a lot and take a lot of notes and then read a lot of them on the go. I usually hold with one hand until it gets tired and then hold with 2 hands - this never causes any problems. The only issue is that holding the 4 with one hand makes me nervous since there is a good chance I'll drop it due to the size.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006

I find the iPad 3 slightly heavy as an ebook reader which is one of the reasons I got the mini. And no, I'm not a wimp but do have arthritis in my hands so some days it's harder for me to grasp for longer sessions.

I do find if you're lying on your side reading with it, that resting the corner on the bed helps.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Astronomy apps like Starwalk are amazing. Hold up the iPad to the night sky and see that patch of stars with labels. Really cool.

Theodolite. Hold up the iPad and get an overlay of orientation.

Maps. It is really cool, as a passenger to use the large screen of an iPad to track your travels live.

Note taking. I use ProjectBook. There are many others.

Reading. I prop up the iPad so the weight is not an issue. The point is that the iPad is so portable you can read places where you'd not likely take a laptop and the screen is much larger than that of an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.