Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arnabdas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
So this will be my first mac. i use an ipad 2 and an iphone 4s at present and want to complete the 'trio' with a macbook air, which i intend to use as my primary computer. (currently using a dell inspiron 15.6" i5 2.3ghz 2410M laptop with windows 7)

Thing is, with the chromebook launch a few days back and the slew of ultrabooks in the market, I fear a few things will be taken from granted from now on:
1. ultrabooks which cost more than $1200 will have more than 1080p resolution.
2. touchscreens are becoming increasingly common in the premium segment of ultrabooks.

Again, macbook air is in the premium segment for me (i come from a windows background) although not necessarily for apple.

with all these rumours pointing towards an imminent retina display macbook air in a few months and possibly a touchscreen display, i was wondering if holding off my buying plans would be good idea. i currently dont own anything from the mac lineup (i'm dying to try one) and considering that i'm typing this on a year old ugly yet robust dell inspiron, i doubt if i'll be left disappointed by buying any macbook right now (and as they say, if one keeps waiting for the best product one might end up waiting forever). and thats where the dilemma lies.

do help me out with your suggestions. i'm new to the whole mac scheme of things and henceforth will be visiting this forum quite often for tips.

thanks, and i do apologise for the lengthy post.

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
Many say that touchscreens as it is implemented now with the Google Chrome is unergonomic, and I agree with that line.

As for a new Apple product. You might consider a refurbished rmbp 13", or 13" MBA is nice, too.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Apple is usually the first to do things.

They removed floppy disk drives when they were popular and everyone thought they were crazy.

Now they removed optical drives from rMBPs. CDs will probably be phasing out soon.

It's no mistake that Apple didn't add touchscreen to their laptops. If they wanted to or felt like they needed to, they would most likely have been the first to do so. I wouldn't count on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.