Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a Asus MX239H monitor and I have a few question about connecting my Mac with it. I want to connect them using a HDMI cable. I know you can use the ''Mini Display Port-to-HDMI-adapter'', then combine it with a HDMI cable and it should work.

So this way, I'm buying two items: the adapter and the HDMI cable. But, is it possible to use a ''Mini display to HDMI cable'' and plug that straight into the Thunderbolt port and the other side of the cable straight into the HDMI port on the monitor?

I'm not entirely sure if this will work with a computer monitor and if it supports sound. (the monitor has built in speakers.)

I've googled around, but almost everyone is talking about the mini display adapter to HDMI solution. But using just one cable without the bulky adapter seems like a much nicer solution.

I hope someone can answer my question. :)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Something like this cable should work, and the description says sound on machine from 2010 and onward works too. ^.^ I have one for when me and friends meet up at each others houses. There's always "oh connect your laptop to the tv", and then "nuu i cant!111" then I save the day.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Something like this cable should work, and the description says sound on machine from 2010 and onward works too. ^.^ I have one for when me and friends meet up at each others houses. There's always "oh connect your laptop to the tv", and then "nuu i cant!111" then I save the day.

Thanks for the reply, so you think this will also work with the monitor.
Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't ship outside the US, so I can't order from them. I'm currently searching for a reasonably prices mini display port to HDMI cable, but not having much luck. Apple sells one made by Belkin but its €50, kinda ridiculous.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You may want to go dvi instead. I might be wrong, but I believe apple's support for hdmi displays still isn't that stellar. There have been reports of screens appearing odd when connected to MacBooks via hdmi, yet work fine via dvi.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
You may want to go dvi instead. I might be wrong, but I believe apple's support for hdmi displays still isn't that stellar. There have been reports of screens appearing odd when connected to MacBooks via hdmi, yet work fine via dvi.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I already got a spare DVI adapter and cable.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London

Please dont spread misinformation.
This is only currently occurring on some of the macs of which have native HDMI ports, and is fault of intel.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Please dont spread misinformation.
This is only currently occurring on some of the macs of which have native HDMI ports, and is fault of intel.

Ah well, I saw a mini display port to HDMI cable on dealextreme for 12$, ill order that and see how it works.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Sounds good, always loved dealextreme.

Hehe yeah, they always got some really nice stuff. Sure, the qualitiy is often questionable. But the products never fail on me and for the price of one ''authentic'' cable or whatever (which is also made in China... :rolleyes: ) I can get 4 of these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.