Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
MusicalOwl117
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Spilled some water on keyboard, now keys don't work?

Hi everyone.

A couple months ago, I had my laptop in my kitchen because I was making something and the recipe was on my laptop. I had just washed my hands and stupidly did not dry them off and walked over to my laptop. As you might have guessed, drops of water were all over the keyboard here and there. I kinda panicked in the moment and stared at it for a minute and then got a paper towel and soaked up most of the drops. Some of the drops had already made their way past the keys. They weren't big drops either, more like a small to medium size. I soaked up what I could and didn't think much of it.

A couple days later, 2 of the keys stopped working-F8 and F9. The keys weren't so important to me so I left it be. Over the course of a couple weeks, more keys stopped working-the up and right button. Once again, I thought they weren't important unless i wanted to play a game (now I notice how important it is).

Last but not least, the power button. Unlike the others which shut down completely, the power button has become very annoying. When I push it, the window that normally shows up is there but if I press cancel or sleep, the whole laptop shuts down. Sometimes it restarts, sometimes it doesn't. It has become a real nuisance, especially when typing essays or other important things.

My real question is, what will apple do if I bring it to them in the apple store? Will they replace it or something? What should I do? I open to any ideas that you may have. I'm a student who loves her fairly new Macbook Air. My laptop is the only possible way I can do work. I am also unemployed at the moment so finding money to replace it will be rather tough.

P.S. My warranty ends on June 23.

Thanks in advance.
MusicalOwl117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:35 AM   #2
AppleMacNerd
macrumors regular

Considering it's only water you could leave it in a bag of rice (or a few bags) to try and dry out completely as water isnt acidic drying it out usually does the job especially if it's only a few drops.

Apple I'm unsure is this case what they will charge you for, but it will not be covered on warranty as its accidental damage basically its your own fault not a manufacturing fault if you say you dropped water on it.

Otherway, don't tell the correct story, book it in at apple with a 'genius' and say the keys aren't working just broke and see what they don't although if you do this DONT mention water or anything as then the charges may appear!
AppleMacNerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMacNerd View Post
Considering it's only water you could leave it in a bag of rice (or a few bags) to try and dry out completely as water isnt acidic drying it out usually does the job especially if it's only a few drops.

Apple I'm unsure is this case what they will charge you for, but it will not be covered on warranty as its accidental damage basically its your own fault not a manufacturing fault if you say you dropped water on it.

Otherway, don't tell the correct story, book it in at apple with a 'genius' and say the keys aren't working just broke and see what they don't although if you do this DONT mention water or anything as then the charges may appear!
Water damage is not covered and Apple can tell when there is water damage.

After any spill you need to shut it off immediately and stick it in rice. If it's been months, chances are something is corroded inside and you will be out of luck.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:58 AM   #4
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

When you buy your new replacement computer, spend another $7.50 for a keyboard cover. I use them on my three and they have literally saved me thousands of dollars.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air