Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Anyone's iMacs made in Ireland or the USA?

I just checked my serial number and used a website that I use for all my devices and found that mine was made in Cork, Ireland! Very excited! Nice to have something different rather than the usual ‘Assembled in China'.

Will be funny seeing it say 'Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in Ireland'. Looking forward to receiving it!

For anyone wanting to know the website here it is - http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi

It's been used many times in different places throughout the website so it's completely safe to use.

I know you can just check on the bottom of your iMac but seen as mine isn't here yet I used the website.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA

mac.rumors

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
London, UK
Just received my new 27" and it was assembled in the US.

That's great! Is your mac a BTO or one of the standard configurations?

I'm planning to order an i7 27-inch with Fusion drive and was wondering if I should wait a bit longer to improve my chances of getting a US assembled mac.

itsMacTonight

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2013
Oregon-Go Ducks!

I'm planning to order an i7 27-inch with Fusion drive and was wondering if I should wait a bit longer to improve my chances of getting a US assembled mac.

I'm not sure. It seems a lot were made here in the US, but will all iMacs be made here eventually? Apple is so tight lipped with which factories do what that there is no telling for sure. Mine went to preparing today, I hope it comes from California, but won't be able to tell until it ships. I too would wait a little longer for one assembled in the US, but I don't know if the future will guarantee that or not. Will we ever know?

Last edited:

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008

Mine is a BTO.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
going to exchange mine till I get "Made in USA" :)

Honda Pilot 70% parts made in the USA, but most proud Ford Explorer drivers don't even know that it is made 50% of foreign parts.

You need a sourse:

Here it is
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Part+583+American+Automobile+Labeling+Act+(AALA)+Reports

My daughter build a lego castle last day. does it mean that the castle was made in USA?

It doesn't state that the iMac was made in USA/Ireland. It states it was assembled there.

So yes, if your daughter builds a Lego castle, it was assembled in the USA.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
The machine itself will have been assembled in China. The reason why it says Ireland is due to where it has been packaged.

Same goes for packaged meats - they can stamp it with your country if its packaged in your country, but the meat inside could be from anywhere (or anything)!

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
The machine itself will have been assembled in China. The reason why it says Ireland is due to where it has been packaged.

Same goes for packaged meats - they can stamp it with your country if its packaged in your country, but the meat inside could be from anywhere (or anything)!

Pretty sure that you're incorrect. They've had a factory in Ireland since 1980. The macs are assembled in the Ireland. The parts probably come from China but they are actually assembled in Ireland.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.