Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Rhobes
macrumors 6502

Audio Commercials Pop Ups?

Hi All-

Not sure what's going on here, I've never had this happen before. I'm getting a commercial from "National Car rentals"(very LOUD!) and 1 other I'm not sure what it is(very SOFT) they periodically(several times a day) just break in and blast their message.

I never hear it at night when I put the computer to sleep but I think it has woke up the iMac and spewed it's audio during the day.

This is really new to me, I've never heard of it before. It will break into a movie your watching, if your streaming radio channels or if your not doing any of that just on the computer.....

Any clues how to stop it?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:53 PM   #2
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhobes View Post
Hi All-

Not sure what's going on here, I've never had this happen before. I'm getting a commercial from "National Car rentals"(very LOUD!) and 1 other I'm not sure what it is(very SOFT) they periodically(several times a day) just break in and blast their message.

I never hear it at night when I put the computer to sleep but I think it has woke up the iMac and spewed it's audio during the day.

This is really new to me, I've never heard of it before. It will break into a movie your watching, if your streaming radio channels or if your not doing any of that just on the computer.....

Any clues how to stop it?
Does this only happen on particular websites?

My guess is that it's either a pop-up from a website, or you downloaded and installed software with annoying advertisements/advertising software inside of it.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Rhobes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
Does this only happen on particular websites?

My guess is that it's either a pop-up from a website, or you downloaded and installed software with annoying advertisements/advertising software inside of it.
No particular sites, actually it happened as this page was up, here on MacRumors. Also, I cant think of any software I've installed. It's been going on for the last 3 weeks now. I've downloaded a number of PDF files, read & trashed them....

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help