Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Samsung has officially announced the Galaxy Note 8" Tablet

Links:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/50048/samsung-galaxy-note-80-place-calls

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/23/samsung-galaxy-note-8-preview/

And a hands on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HmTviZEW3Y

Now, this device is, I find, hilarious, because they have styled it after a phone and it even has an earpiece at the top! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

Seriously, are you REALLY going to hold an 8" TABLET to the side of your face??? Are you REALLY going to feel comfortable doing that? Because everyone will be laughing at you if you did do that! What are Samsung thinking??
Although reading the reports they will be offering it as a WiFi only model which is just as well! But also 3G and LTE versions should you feel the need to look like a berk.

Anyway apart from that it has quad core yadda yadda. Screen is 1280 by 800 so if the iPad 2 comes with retina it should easily beat that.
On sale in Q2 with Jelly Bean out the box. It does have 2GB of ram however and if you watch the vid, the device does seem very fast and smooth.

Think I'll stick with my Nexus 7, but I do know a LOT of you guy's have a Note or Note 2, do you like this new potential phablet?

EDIT some more videos for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYWYiLUfN7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIhidBqYcZM

A hardware comparison between the Nexus 7, iPad Mini and the Galaxy Note 8.0:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUMey69k34U

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
They should have put a better screen in it. Other than that, it looks alright. I'm partial to iOS for tablets.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'm all about phablets but this is just weird. I think the Note 2 is a great size for a phablet, but it's pushing the limits of what is pocket friendly.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
They should have put a better screen in it. Other than that, it looks alright. I'm partial to iOS for tablets.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's got something to do with the Wacom digitizer system as none of the Notes have great or very high resolution screens. And considering the Nexus 10 has the highest res screen at the moment (most likely not after this week!), then it's not like Samsung can't make them.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Nice.

Time to sell my iPad Mini and Note 2.

Hope this thing is going to be under $350. Hope Samsung doesn't get cocky and start selling these at $399 for the wifi model and $499 for the LTE model.

Most logical price point for the wifi only model is $349.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The Note 8 has the same problem as my iPad mini.

It's too wide to hold comfortably in one hand. My preference is to hold my mini without a case. Apple failed to shape the edges so as to be rounded & comfortable. The back edge is rounded, but the display side is beveled & very uncomfortable. It's very slippery as well.

On the other hand Google crafted a very comfortable shape on the edges of my Nexus 7. Plus instead of the slippery flat aluminum of the mini, there's a nice soft touch grippy rubberized back which makes the Nexus extremely comfortable and secure to hold. That plus being 15mm narrower makes it ideal.

I'm eager to see what the ergonomics are like on the upcoming Galaxy S4, Google X phone, and the next iPhone if it includes a comparable sized display. I wonder how much longer it will take Apple to release theirs. Sounds like several of the Android phones may beat Apple to market by months.

I'd sure like a competitive iPhone.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Now, this device is, I find, hilarious, because they have styled it after a phone and it even has an earpiece at the top! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

It's suddenly become clear to me, that Samsung's only interest in flexible screens, is to be able to ultimately create a gargantuan phablet that can be wrapped around your head like a turban. :p

----------

The Note 8 has the same problem as my iPad mini.

It's too wide to hold comfortably in one hand. My preference is to hold my mini without a case. Apple failed to shape the edges so as to be rounded & comfortable. The back edge is rounded, but the display side is beveled & very uncomfortable. It's very slippery as well.

Another big fat stupid thing, with big fat stupid bezels.

Why ,why, why ...

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I have the Galaxy Note 2 and love it but this Note 8 is kind of lacking. Samsung should have used a 1080p resolution at that size and since it isn't AMOLED, I'm not sure if it will have the awesome blacks and vibrant colors AMOLED users love. The internal storage should have started at 32gb and 64 gb instead of 16 gb and 32 gb.

And the bezel is way too big. It is not proprtionate to the Note 2.

I am interested in seeing what the price is before making a final judgment. If the price is low enough, then I can see this as being very popular with students to take notes on because of the s pen, multitasking, file system, ability to plug usb drives into it, and the best size for classroom use when you have to go around campus. If the price is low enough, then my criticisms become moot.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
It's a damn shame that Samsung will bend to the carriers wishes and strip the phone functionality from this on the U.S. version :(

Plus this would need a Logitech Ultrahin keyboard (like the mini does) available for it before it can compete with the iPad mini.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
It's a damn shame that Samsung will bend to the carriers wishes and strip the phone functionality from this on the U.S. version :(

Plus this would need a Logitech Ultrahin keyboard to go with it before it can compete with the iPad mini.

The S pen is way better than a portable keyboard.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I tried watching this and took it seriously UNTIL he said 3g can be used as a phone. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Can't wait to get it

Wonder how much it would cost here

If you can use it as 3G which carrier in the UK will have it?

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I tried watching this and took it seriously UNTIL he said 3g can be used as a phone. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT.

I used to have fun using my original Galaxy Tab 7 as a phone. And just to annoy my brothers I would switch off my headset sometimes and hold it to my ear!

(tho with headset having just the one device in my bag was much better). Still as I eventually decided to stick to one platform its not for me; but I do know several friends who will want one of these.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nice.

Time to sell my iPad Mini and Note 2.

Hope this thing is going to be under $350. Hope Samsung doesn't get cocky and start selling these at $399 for the wifi model and $499 for the LTE model.

Most logical price point for the wifi only model is $349.

International version = It's basically a note 2. Why would they sell it for $250-300 less than the note 2? Surely that just makes the note 2 & GS3 very overpriced if they do...

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
International version = It's basically a note 2. Why would they sell it for $250-300 less than the note 2? Surely that just makes the note 2 & GS3 very overpriced if they do...

Because the galaxy note 10.1 sells for $499. You think the Galaxy Note 8" is going to cost more than the galaxy note 10.1?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I get that Samsung's MO right now is just market saturation (apparently they're carpet bombing the Oscars eith commercials) but why would they release a new tablet with the S3 design language when the S4 most likely will have a different design? And what's the point of the Note and Tab? Why not just combine them into one product line? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.