Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abmidds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Maybe I'm missing it, but I'm unable to find a best setup guide to setting up SSD and SATA drives on a Macbook Pro. I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro and just installed a Samsung 840 drive in the main drive slot and moved the original SATA drive into an Optibay enclosure where the Superdrive was originally. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the original hard drive to the SSD. I switched the boot disk to the SSD and no problems. I formatted and partitioned the original hard drive leaving 150 GB for a backup of the SSD and another 350 GB for Data. Here is where I am stuck. I believe that the more you write over the SSD, the slower it gets. That being said, what is the best way to configure the program/storage on the two disks to have the optimal performance and storage without slowing down the SSD over time? I'm not sure how to move the storage folders for movies, iTunes, Mail, Downloads, etc to the Data drive and configure future data to be stored in those folders as well. I have heard people say to move the entire Home folder to the data drive, but that seems as though it would defeat the purpose of the SSD. Any ideas or direction?

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I did clean install so I can avoid all the junk being written on my SSD.
Also all my heavy data files goes to my 1TB HDD in my optibay.

abmidds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Great info, thanks! How about Downloads and Documents? Is it as easy as just moving the files?

iVikD

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Spain
Great info, thanks! How about Downloads and Documents? Is it as easy as just moving the files?

What I did was place my Downloads, Documents, Music, Pictures, pretty much all my media, on the HDD, then deleted the respective folders from the SSD and set up some symbolic links so that everything would still work perfectly. A symbolic link is a lot like an Alias (shortcut), but think of it as being hardwired into the disk.

EDIT: Check this link for more info on symlinks: LINK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.