Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I have no idea, but have you noticed why on the iPad (and iPhone), the camera is in the corner? Why is that? Is there no user interface guy who studies how people use cameras? The camera should be in the middle of the longest width side. People record videos with the camera held horizontally (longest width horizontal with the ground). That way you can record 1080p movies or videos that are wider rather than taller.

Even regular cameras are sane enough to put the camera in the center. I can accept it near the edge, but in the corner? Come on. Get with it.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Don't think that's a real issue. There are a lot of cameras with a non-centered lens and I haven't heard anyone complain (like this: http://gadgetsngear.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Canon-PowerShot-SD6002.jpg ).
Humans should be able to adapt to something like that in no time.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Don't forget, the iPhone is first and foremost a phone. Apart from that, there is a giant battery and using a bunch of small batteries doesn't really make sense (both from power and design standpoint). So the motherboard that holds the processors, storage, are shaped irregularly around the battery. The camera would need to be mounted onto this motherboard, hence it's in the corner.

There are many cameras on the market where the lens and sensor elements are off centered. The reason many are centered mounted is because the optical zoom elements need motors and clearance.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Don't forget, the iPhone is first and foremost a phone. Apart from that, there is a giant battery and using a bunch of small batteries doesn't really make sense (both from power and design standpoint). So the motherboard that holds the processors, storage, are shaped irregularly around the battery. The camera would need to be mounted onto this motherboard, hence it's in the corner.

There are many cameras on the market where the lens and sensor elements are off centered.

Same I'd true of the iPad!!

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Don't think that's a real issue. There are a lot of cameras with a non-centered lens and I haven't heard anyone complain (like this: http://gadgetsngear.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Canon-PowerShot-SD6002.jpg ).
Humans should be able to adapt to something like that in no time.

Even the Canon, the camera is not in the CORNER. It is at least close enough to the center on the long horizontal edge that you can hole it horizontally. And face it, for the iPad (even iphone), people record horizontally. It should at least be near the center of the long edge. In the corner? Apple has no one that really tests what is the best position for things.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I think it being first and foremost a phone is why the camera is not in the middle. That bein said I would like to see it in the middle as well. Makes aiming at stuff more accurate when taking a picture, especially if your rushing to capture a moment

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You saw Samsung putting it in the center of the longer side, don't you?

Here's the problem: Your face is unlikely to be wider than tall, so you want to FaceTime with your FaceTime Camera(sic) in portrait. It's also in the center so your (relatively near) face looks as good as possible.

You can grab the iPad in the center of both the longer and the shorter side when shooting photos or video in both portrait and landscape with the rear camera. If the camera were in the center, you'd cover it with your hands or hold the iPad uncomfortably in one of those orientations.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
As long as you can take great photos, why bother about where the camera lens is situated? Not like its position will hinder photo-taking.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
You saw Samsung putting it in the center of the longer side, don't you?

Here's the problem: Your face is unlikely to be wider than tall, so you want to FaceTime with your FaceTime Camera(sic) in portrait. It's also in the center so your (relatively near) face looks as good as possible.

You can grab the iPad in the center of both the longer and the shorter side when shooting photos or video in both portrait and landscape with the rear camera. If the camera were in the center, you'd cover it with your hands or hold the iPad uncomfortably in one of those orientations.

^^This.

To the OP, you have no idea what you're talking about. Try holding your iPhone one handed and taking a pic with the volume button. Or a video. It's self explanatory on the iPad if you've ever held one.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007

Looks like nobody studies how users hold their ipad. Everyone holds it on the bottom two corners with their two hands. There is a 50% chance you will be covering the camera or leave fingerprints on the lens. Even on iPhone, people take pictures 95% of the time rather than FaceTime. In photo mode nobody who wants serious photos uses portrait mode. Even googles camera app disables video recording in portrait mode. Having it in corner basically means you are covering up the lens if you are serious about non blurry photos (holding with both hands). It is just inconceivable that HTC knows to position the camera away from the horizontal edges (long side). Even Samsung has galaxy camera (yes in center)

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Looks like nobody studies how users hold their ipad. Everyone holds it on the bottom two corners with their two hands. There is a 50% chance you will be covering the camera or leave fingerprints on the lens. Even on iPhone, people take pictures 95% of the time rather than FaceTime. In photo mode nobody who wants serious photos uses portrait mode. Even googles camera app disables video recording in portrait mode. Having it in corner basically means you are covering up the lens if you are serious about non blurry photos (holding with both hands). It is just inconceivable that HTC knows to position the camera away from the horizontal edges (long side). Even Samsung has galaxy camera (yes in center)

I can't tell if you're being serious or not?

I'm pretty sure a multi multi billion dollar company know more about this subject than you do. There is a reason it's not in the middle. And it doesn't affect the picture, so either way it makes no difference.

slowsupra

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2013

In the last 5 years of owning either an iphone or a droid with the corner lense I have never blocked a picture with my finger, it's really not that hard. If it feels better to hold the phone/tab at the bottom corners flip it so the lense is at the top and the picture button is by your right thumb it's not that hard to adapt. If it's in the middle there is less room to hold the phone to take those uber-serious non-blurry photos anyways because you're now forced to hold it by the edges instead of gripping it like a curveball. Google's camera app doesn't block portrait recording either, I have my DI2 right here and just recorded a video in portrait and landscape so I'm not sure where you got that from. If you want a center camera go buy a Samsung.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The camera should be in the middle of the longest width side.

Did you forget that people also take still photos with the camera and that they sometimes hold the phone vertically to do so?

Yes, the current camera placement is only 'ok' for both videos and vertical photos, but it's at least possible both ways. Your method would be better for videos but absolutely horrendous for taking vertical photos.

It's really not hard to figure out why Apple wouldn't do this.

zone.jpg

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Why is this even an issue to you? When you take a picture you are looking at the screen, and no matter where the camera is locate you will see the same thing.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
OP what the heck are you on about?
When I hold my iPhone camera in portrait, my hand is at the bottom of the screen, and when I hold it landscape, I have the home button end of the phone into my palm, and I hit the shutter button with my thumb.
OR I hold it in landscape with two hands, and keep my fingers where I can see them, and not flabbing around behind the handset.:)

Stop trying to flaunt Apple, and big up Android handsets, we don't want to hear nonsense. :mad: :apple:

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Did you forget that people also take still photos with the camera and that they sometimes hold the phone vertically to do so?

Yes, the current camera placement is only 'ok' for both videos and vertical photos, but it's at least possible both ways. Your method would be better for videos but absolutely horrendous for taking vertical photos.

It's really not hard to figure out why Apple wouldn't do this.

Ok, one serious attempt from someone to sidetrack and confuse the audience. Take a look at the HTC One. Now, Facetime aside (which is irrelevant anyways because facetime at least knows to use the FRONT camera, which the front camera is designed in the center), lets look at how iPhone's back camera compares.

Would HTC One allow you to hold with both hands in horizontal mode so you don't get blurry photos? Yes. (It also allows you to take vertical photos too, look at its placement)

Would iPhone allow you? Nope. You would have to fumble and be careful to flip it back and forth, checking if you have not touched the lens, which means missed opportunity shots. Or go with one hand shaking, blurring the photos.

But seriously, read this statement: NO ONE TAKES VERTICAL PHOTOS if they are serious. Landscape photos are the norm. Why is your monitor on your computer horizontal, not vertical? Why is the movie theatre horizontal and not vertical? Why is the land on the ground horizontal and not vertical? Common sense. If you like facetime, it uses the FRONT camera. And who says it has to be vertical for facetime? I would prefer others to see more of my background like a regular photo.

This same design infected the large iPad. On such a large device, why is the camera STILL in the corner? Moving it closer to the center or center of edge allows you to grip corners without worrying about covered lens, or greasing up the lens. EVERYONE holds their iPad in the bottom two corners.

Note, I am concentrating on HTC One because it is the most powerful phone now. If another phone is better, I would mention it. Yes, I'm biased (but only towards best devices on market currently).

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Take a look at the HTC One.

Ok, I just did and the HTC One camera is not in the "middle of the longest width side" like you said you wanted. It's in the middle of the shortest width side.

So now I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're even asking for.

But seriously, read this statement: NO ONE TAKES VERTICAL PHOTOS if they are serious.

This is probably the most ridiculous statement I have ever read on Macrumors.

Congratulations. I've been here a long time.

(And you're talking to a professional photographer who is the son of another professional photographer. I know a thing or two about what "serious" photographers do and, yes, vertical photos are one of the things we do.)

EDIT UPDATE: Some 'non-serious' photography:

ver2.jpg

ver1.jpg

ver3.jpg

Last edited:

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Ok, I just did and the HTC One camera is not in the "middle of the longest width side" like you said you wanted. It's in the middle of the shortest width side.

So now I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're even asking for.

This is probably the most ridiculous statement I have ever read on Macrumors.

Congratulations. I've been here a long time.

(And you're talking to a professional photographer who is the son of another professional photographer. I know a thing or two about what "serious" photographers do and, yes, vertical photos are one of the things we do.)

Absolutely!

I wonder if our HTC fanboy has even considered that the internal component layout of the iPhone may dictate the position of the camera. ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I don't care where the camera is, all I want is for it to make you turn it horizontally before you're able to record a video.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Ok, one serious attempt from someone to sidetrack and confuse the audience. Take a look at the HTC One. Now, Facetime aside (which is irrelevant anyways because facetime at least knows to use the FRONT camera, which the front camera is designed in the center), lets look at how iPhone's back camera compares.

Would HTC One allow you to hold with both hands in horizontal mode so you don't get blurry photos? Yes. (It also allows you to take vertical photos too, look at its placement)

Would iPhone allow you? Nope. You would have to fumble and be careful to flip it back and forth, checking if you have not touched the lens, which means missed opportunity shots. Or go with one hand shaking, blurring the photos.

But seriously, read this statement: NO ONE TAKES VERTICAL PHOTOS if they are serious. Landscape photos are the norm. Why is your monitor on your computer horizontal, not vertical? Why is the movie theatre horizontal and not vertical? Why is the land on the ground horizontal and not vertical? Common sense. If you like facetime, it uses the FRONT camera. And who says it has to be vertical for facetime? I would prefer others to see more of my background like a regular photo.

This same design infected the large iPad. On such a large device, why is the camera STILL in the corner? Moving it closer to the center or center of edge allows you to grip corners without worrying about covered lens, or greasing up the lens. EVERYONE holds their iPad in the bottom two corners.

Note, I am concentrating on HTC One because it is the most powerful phone now. If another phone is better, I would mention it. Yes, I'm biased (but only towards best devices on market currently).
You pretty much destroyed any thread of credibility you may have hoped to have.

Good luck landing a cover shot on a magazine.

You should consider studying the art photography so you don't come off sounding ignorant and uneducated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.