Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wndzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Manchester, UK
Hello,

I'm having trouble connecting external speakers to my new iMac - it doesn't recognise them at all. When I plug them in, the small speaker icon at the top of the screen becomes greyed out and when trying to amend the volume, it shows a cross.

I've tried resetting the SMC and VVRAM/PRAM. Speakers work absolutely fine on MacBook Air and iPhone 5.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 11.17.47.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 11.17.47.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 683

Shadow2k

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Hi,
open "System Preferences" and select "Audio". Then check the Output tab. With speakers (metal 3,5mm Jack) attached it should say something like "headphones".

From your description (grayed out Speaker after plugging in the cable) it looks like your mac thinks that you have plugged in a (optical) Toslink Cable.

wndzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Manchester, UK
Cheers for the reply, I've opened up system preferences but instead of seeing that, I get Digital Out.

This is getting very annoying! :p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 14.17.46.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 14.17.46.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 109

Shadow2k

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
According to several sites there is a small mechanical switch inside the audio jack. Suggestions range from repeatedly plugging the speakers in and out, to inserting a Q-Tip (with cotton removed) or a tooth pick inside the jack.
With your iMac being new and under warranty, I would suggest to contact Apple's service instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.