Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:02 AM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
iPad 4 vs Mini comparison

So Many people have a hard time deciding between the 2. So would people agree with the below pros & cons for the benefit of those people?

iPad pros
- Large Retina Screen (good for high quality photos, diagrams, CAD)
- A6X chip (good for power hungry apps such as photo/video editing, CAD, 3D gaming)
Cons
- Some people may not find it ideal to use as a portable device especially for travelling
- It is more expensive
- Some people may not like the design

Ipad mini pros
- Very portable & 1 handed use possible (may be better as an ereader for some or travel companion)
- It is cheaper
- Some people may prefer the design.
Cons
- A5 chip & 512MB RAM may mean future OSs won't run as well which may be an issue for some
- Smaller screen (this may be an advantage to some but others may want a larger screen)

Conclusion
- Mini is better for those who want a cheaper or more portable device and aren't bothered by screen size or lack of retina. For everyday web browsing, emails, ereading this is a good device. It is also good for extended holding, it can be held like a small clipboard.
- Ipad 4 is better for those people who want a larger, high quality screen. It is still portable as it is much lighter than any laptop but you may need to rest it against something for extended use. It is suited for 3D gaming, more graphic intensive apps, high quality photos, CAD etc and those who just like the large retina screen for their everyday activities.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:31 AM   #2
cardfan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I'd disagree with all the "the bigger ipad is more suited for graphics, pics, etc." If you read all the time, the retina screen makes text pop. It's clear, not fuzzy. That's your number one reason.

In fact, on the Mini, graphics, videos, and pics look fine. It's all about the text being too small or somewhat blurry.
cardfan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
I'd disagree with all the "the bigger ipad is more suited for graphics, pics, etc." If you read all the time, the retina screen makes text pop. It's clear, not fuzzy. That's your number one reason.

In fact, on the Mini, graphics, videos, and pics look fine. It's all about the text being too small or somewhat blurry.
I meant for professional use. Engineering diagrams aren't as easy to look at on the mini. And photographs of structural examinaions are better on the ipad 4 too

Photographers may also prefer the larger screen. I guess for everyday users, it's more a choice of size.

Last edited by Samtb; Feb 24, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Abazigal
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
I was always under the impression that speed wise, the ipad4 is comparable to the ipad2 or mini because all that extra processor power goes towards handling the retina graphics anyways.

If anything, my ipad3 actually feels a tad more sluggish compared to my friends' ipad mini and ipad2.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
I was always under the impression that speed wise, the ipad4 is comparable to the ipad2 or mini because all that extra processor power goes towards handling the retina graphics anyways.

If anything, my ipad3 actually feels a tad more sluggish compared to my friends' ipad mini and ipad2.
That's a good point actually. Speed wise they might be similar.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
http://www.cnet.com/news/ipad-mini-vs-ipad-4-a-glance-at-raw-benchmarks/57544899?ds=1

This is interesting.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:40 PM   #7
D.T.
macrumors 68020
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
I was always under the impression that speed wise, the ipad4 is comparable to the ipad2 or mini because all that extra processor power goes towards handling the retina graphics anyways.

If anything, my ipad3 actually feels a tad more sluggish compared to my friends' ipad mini and ipad2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
That's a good point actually. Speed wise they might be similar.

The iPad 3 and Mini have comparable speed - the A5X extra GPU performance is a wash due the additional pixels, the CPUs are the same, however the iPad 3 does have 1GB of RAM. A5 @ 1024x768 = A5X @ 2048x1536


The iPad GPU and CPU are twice as fast as the iPad 3 - this a same resolution comparison, so an iPad 4 is also twice as fast as a Mini, CPU and GPU, and also has 1GB of RAM. A5 @ 1024x768 or A5X @ 2048x1536 = A6X @ 2048x1536 * 0.5
__________________
"It is not daily increase but daily decrease; hack away the unessential." ~Bruce Lee
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:23 PM   #8
davistld01
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I tend to agree with most of the OP's points. I love my iP4 for around the house use...but it's a bit heavy & large for extended holding. I'm looking to buy a Mini soon because its the perfect size for me to carry around @ work.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro, iPad Air & iPhone 5
davistld01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Night Spring
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
When the iPad 3 first came out, we loaded "retina quality" pictures on both the iPad 2 and 3 and compared side by side, and it was really hard to see any difference.

Now, if you are looking at blueprints, I think a retina display might help show more detail. And now that there are games that have been optimized for retina, some games look more sharp on the 3. And reading text is definitely much easier on the retina screen. But for just looking at photos, even high quality professional ones, 3 vs 2 was a wash.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:30 AM   #10
alice04
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
For apps, games, etc I'll choose iPad mini of course and it's definitely cheaper. But for calls and txts i'll really use iPhone 4. hihihihi.
alice04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Paulywauly
macrumors 6502a
 
Paulywauly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Durham, UK
I agree with the OPs points for the most part, although the smaller form factor of the Mini can make gaming a more comfortable experience (despite the lower quality screen)
__________________
I admit it, i spend too much on products
Paulywauly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Commy1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
iPad
Retina Display = amazing
Available in 128GB = Awesome
Cellular = Great
A great size = Even better.

Mini
none of those things, it's a bit of a waste. It was direct competition between the Kobo sized readers and that is it.
__________________
Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5/16/256 | iPhone 5 16GB White ~ Virgin | iPad 4th 16GB WiFi White | Canon T3i
Commy1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Tsepz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
I agree with OP on most points.

WRT where I use my iPad4, I use it at home and at university, as Cardfan said, text is everything, and with the iPad4 text looks ncredible thanks to the Retina Display.
__________________
Samsung GALAXY S4 32GB Octa Black Mist
Apple iPad 4 WIFI + LTE 16GB White
The world can't hold me, too much ambition.
Tsepz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:11 PM   #14
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
When the iPad 3 first came out, we loaded "retina quality" pictures on both the iPad 2 and 3 and compared side by side, and it was really hard to see any difference.

Now, if you are looking at blueprints, I think a retina display might help show more detail. And now that there are games that have been optimized for retina, some games look more sharp on the 3. And reading text is definitely much easier on the retina screen. But for just looking at photos, even high quality professional ones, 3 vs 2 was a wash.
Really? What about 4k resolution photos/videos which are starting to come on the market.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:24 PM   #15
AznTakumi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
The only thing holding me back from buying a mini has to be the A5 processor. It's probably going to maybe last me a year or 2 then become really slow and I have to update. Apple probably did this to save cost and to give us a reason to update. I'm not even sure how apple is going to add retina to this device because the screen resolution is the same as the ipad2 so if they were going to add retina, they would have to add the ipad4 resolution onto that screen.
AznTakumi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:40 PM   #16
izzle22
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kansas City, Mazurah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commy1 View Post
iPad
Retina Display = amazing
Available in 128GB = Awesome
Cellular = Great
A great size = Even better.

Mini
none of those things, it's a bit of a waste. It was direct competition between the Kobo sized readers and that is it.
Your post is totally a subjective opinion. It could go this way:

Retina Display = amazing (Not really that big of a difference to most people)
Available in 128GB = Awesome (Who cares I have 32g and 10g still unused)
Cellular = Great (That's why you have a phone. Why have 2 cellular devices. Mini is also availabe in cellular version)
A great size = Even better. (Too big and heavy, Mini is a better size and more comfortable to hold and travel with)

iPad 4 waste of extra money. iPad Mini better alternative for less money. It is in direct competition to iPad 4 and killiing the iPad 4's sales.
__________________
izzle22 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Night Spring
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Really? What about 4k resolution photos/videos which are starting to come on the market.
If you have a link to a 4k picture, I can give it a try, since I still have both iPads 2 and 3. However, I doubt it will make much of a difference, because neither iPad 2 nor 3 can handle that high a resolution, so the pics will just get downgraded to the respective iPad resolutions.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:17 PM   #18
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
I was always under the impression that speed wise, the ipad4 is comparable to the ipad2 or mini because all that extra processor power goes towards handling the retina graphics anyways.

If anything, my ipad3 actually feels a tad more sluggish compared to my friends' ipad mini and ipad2.
In real world usage, my iPad 4 is significantly faster than my mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzle22 View Post
iPad 4 waste of extra money. iPad Mini better alternative for less money. It is in direct competition to iPad 4 and killiing the iPad 4's sales.
I disagree completely. I'm currently using an iPad 4 & a iPad mini. To declare the iPad 4 a waste of money is to reveal how little you know.

Both of these have their strengths and are not to be direct competitors. The differences are distinct enough that I require both. Some people will find the iPad 4 ideal, some will find the mini ideal, and others will buy both.

That's a fact.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:21 PM   #19
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I'm so torn between selling my 3 and buying a mini or waiting til the retina mini comes out.... Argh
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:48 PM   #20
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
If you have a link to a 4k picture, I can give it a try, since I still have both iPads 2 and 3. However, I doubt it will make much of a difference, because neither iPad 2 nor 3 can handle that high a resolution, so the pics will just get downgraded to the respective iPad resolutions.
This is a 4K sample image.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/TimeScapes/i...4k/big_sur.jpg
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:46 PM   #21
Night Spring
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Ok, loaded it up on both 2 and 3, after comparing them for a few minutes, I realized I had gotten then mixed up and had to look up the serial numbers to determine which was which.

So, sorry, I'm not seeing any difference in picture quality.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:46 AM   #22
mapledress
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Both of the two devices are wonderful. But I prefer the iPad mini.
mapledress is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:19 AM   #23
izzle22
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kansas City, Mazurah
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
In real world usage, my iPad 4 is significantly faster than my mini.

----------



I disagree completely. I'm currently using an iPad 4 & a iPad mini. To declare the iPad 4 a waste of money is to reveal how little you know.

Both of these have their strengths and are not to be direct competitors. The differences are distinct enough that I require both. Some people will find the iPad 4 ideal, some will find the mini ideal, and others will buy both.

That's a fact.
If you had read my post which you obliviously didn't you can see that's exactly what I was trying to say. I was stating the FACT that you can say either one is better depending on your uses and opinion. You should read posts before you tell people how little they know. I have both iPads as well and find they both have their uses. I was clearly disagreeing with the previous post that the mini is a waste and if you really wanted to you could say the same about the iPad 4 if it didn't suit your needs. And that's a fact!
__________________
izzle22 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:23 AM   #24
Samtb
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Are there any ipad users here who use it for work? Which do you use and why do you prefer it for your work?

I think alot of people who work outside an office (pilots, engineers, doctors etc) may like the minis portability but they may also prefer a larger screen, depending on the job. I guess you could say the same with office people.
What do people think? If mini 2 has retina, do you think mini 2 is better for any job?

Last edited by Samtb; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:10 PM   #25
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a
 
smoking monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Japan
Took my wife to the Apple store and asked if she wanted a mini 'cause of all the translating she's been doing on a job for me recently and after using it in the store a bit, she said she'd rather stick with the iPad 1!?!?!

Sure the ipad 1 is heavier and slower and the screen doesn't look as good, but the screen just wasn't big enough. She thinks the mini's smaller screen was too big a trade off even though it beats out the ipad 1 in every other area.

No worries for me, she will inherit my ipad 2 when I upgrade to the 5 in... April!?!? Well, more likely Septemberish.
__________________
G3 450 B&W, K-Lime iBook G3/466SE, PB G4 867(Ti), G4 800 DP(QS), PB G4 1.5 17 (Al), iPT 1G, 08 24 iMac, MBP 09 17, iP3Gs, iPad1&2, iP4s, '12 27 iMac, iP5s, rMBP(H) 15", Air.
smoking monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC