Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
ihawkins01
macrumors newbie

Advice on taking 13 inch MBA travelling

Hi there!

In the next 6-7 months I am wanting to go out and teach english in South Korea for about 6 months and then go off travelling for a further 6 months.

As I will be in one location for a while I would ideally like to take my MBA out with me. However I am unsure whether I should then take it with me while backpacking. Is the 13inch too big for travelling?

If I did then I would invest in a sturdy case for it.

MBA are obviously expensive machines so I was wondering what you lot thought/have done in the past.
ihawkins01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

I have travelled extensively with my 13" MBA for the past two years, including to some countries which might be seen as relatively underdeveloped, and no, it is not 'too big' for travelling. Rather, it is nice and light and exceedingly portable, which is why I love it.

For my part, much (but not all) of the time it travels in a padded A4 envelope, which, in turn, sits in a neat leather briefcase. However, when travelling, you need to remember that its peripherals (adaptors, magsafe etc.) also take up room in a briefcase.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:01 PM   #3
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

My old Unibody Macbook (aluminum one) has been through a lot, it's also very old now. But just to give an idea of how much of a use good cases are, I'll go through some of the things it's been through, after being retired to the status of family holiday laptop.
Dropped from hands while being carried, In sleeve, no damage, chest height.
Pulled from table, countless times, in a hardshell, no damage.
Dropped down aeroplane stairs while going down, very embarassing, it was in a sleeve, totally fine.
Slipped on ice, it was in my backpack, I fell on my back, not in a sleeve or harshell, totally fine.

Heck this machine is entering it's 5th year of life this year, and no, all of the above incedents werent me! (ahem, mum). However, it is perfectly sturdy, and in answer to your question, and in my opinion, it was never too big.

If you to take it out backpacking, you should be sure to buy a hardshell + a sleeve for it, and clip the hardshell on AND store it in the sleeve a the same time, the lil' thing becomes basically invincible.
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air