Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I am looking at Printopia and HandyPrint. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better? Am I missing other ideal alternatives.

/Jim

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am looking at Printopia and HandyPrint. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better? Am I missing other ideal alternatives.

/Jim
I haven't tried Printopia, but I've used HandyPrint for a long time with no problems at all.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I haven't tried Printopia, but I've used HandyPrint for a long time with no problems at all.

Thx... I suspect that was from before it was called Handy Print (Airprint Activator). ;)

Have you tried the 4.0 beta... or are you using 3.1? If it is stable... I'd prefer to go to 4.0b.

/Jim

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thx... I suspect that was from before it was called Handy Print (Airprint Activator). ;)

Have you tried the 4.0 beta... or are you using 3.1? If it is stable... I'd prefer to go to 4.0b.
I'm still using AirPrint Activator v2.2b5. It's now called HandyPrint, but it's the same app.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

/Jim

For easy, seamless, install and forget airprinting i recommend Handyprint. I've used it for a couple years now. And its FREE (although i did donate after about the first year of use).

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

/Jim

Both of these have trial periods, so you can try them and see which one you prefer. They both do the same thing and seeing as handyPrint is a suggested $5 to obtain a license versus $20 for Printopia, the decision was easy.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
They seem to be a wash in terms of function per people's experience. It sounds like a coin toss.

It seems that neither is in the Mac App Store... that would have swayed me. I like the easy updates the MAS provides.

/Jim

Reactions: arthography

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
They seem to be a wash in terms of function per people's experience. It sounds like a coin toss.

It seems that neither is in the Mac App Store... that would have swayed me. I like the easy updates the MAS provides.

/Jim

From the standpoint of easy updates, Printopia has been quite painless from my perspective. I've seen it prompt me a couple of times about new updates. Quick download, install, back up and running. It was only $10 when I got it, and I'd have happily paid $20, given the flawless function.

All of that said, I have no familiarity with HandyPrint, so I can only talk to my experience with Printopia, and not truly compare the two.

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield

/Jim

I use Printopia as it was the only program that would work on my HP1020 LaserJet. the HP 1020 is not out of the box mac completable had to use the HP 1022 Drivers for it to work. HandyPrint works but only when i shut the computer off then restart it it then it prints the page. I went to Printopia tried the demo and it worked so went with it. If there is a demo try before you buy and if it works then go for it. I have no issues using Printopia with ipad or ipod touches - Spent $5 on the printer (new) at yard sale got it to work at least right now with OS X.7 with a little research using the HP 1022 drivers (same printer as the 1020 but sold outside the US). Did not want to spend money at this time for a new airprint ready laser printer.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
An issue, however, with these software based solutions...

I really like Handy Print-- works like a charm...

except that you have to have "Print Sharing" on and your Mac awake for it for work!

The problem with "Print Sharing" on is that when you're not using the printer, the Mac won't go to sleep.

Alas, that's a deal-breaker and we're now looking at wireless Airprint laser multi-functions. That way, it won't matter whether the Mac is on or not.

Oh, one other downside with a Mac-base solution-- if your Mac leaves the house-- i.e., the Mac is a laptop--the person left at home is stuck without any direct printing!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
In our case... we have our iMacs set to never go to sleep. They do lock with the screensaver. We keep them on to serve iTunes to our Apple TVs etc.

As iMacs... they never leave the house.

BTW: As the OP... I should have replied that we tried Handy Print... and it is working just fine. Thanks to everyone who gave us advice.

/Jim

Reactions: arthography

jlg89

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
TL;DR: Ditch handyPrint, get Printopia.

I used handyPrint for many years without problems...buty here we are, 6.5 years later, and as of Catalina, handyPrint seems to have very mixed results. It stopped working on my machines, won't even install. I've even used AppCleaner to completely remove it, restarted, and tried installing the latest version (5.5.0 as of this post). It won't even install.

Downloaded the latest version of Printopia, launched it, and AirPrint started working again. The host Mac still needs to be running, but unlike handyPrint, does not need to be logged in. The Printopia daemon runs invisibly in the background.

Printopia's $20 cost has already saved me over $40 in cussing. Well worth it.

Reactions: edifice98
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.