Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would You Still Buy An iPad Mini 2 If It Didn't Have A Retina Display?

• Yes

Votes: 25 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 119 82.6%

• Total voters

John55455

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Poll->Title.

I wouldn't. The only thing holding me back from buying an iPad mini is the "horrible" screen. I have a Retina MacBook Pro, iPad 3, and an iPhone 5 - I can't use a non-retina screen any more.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
We've been using screens with a lower pixel density all our lives, and most people still use non-retina displays on monitors at work, at home, on phones, tablets and laptops. I have an iPad 4 but I'm glad I can still use other resolutions.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Probably not unless it has a much higher resolution than the current screen.

duggram

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
Only if it had a processor as good or better than the iPhone. I still don't understand why they put in a processor two generations older than the iPhone, in the original mini. They could put a retina screen in it and if no better processor I still won't buy it. I've stayed with my Kindle.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I am not buying it regardless since I have the current one which will do. The next one will be heavier and the turnaround to sell and then buy the new one is going to surprise some people.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I think the market is gonna be flooded with 3's and minis once 5 and mini 2 drop.

Maybe 4 as well but not nearly as much

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
A6 and more RAM is a higher priority for me. I have the iPad 3 and while the screen is nice its pretty overrated. While there is a noticeable difference between it and my Motorola Xoom, I have no problem switching between the two.

Besides retina is likely to introduce longer charging times and poorer performing battery.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
The only thing holding me back from buying an iPad mini is the "horrible" screen.

Not too biased, are we? Haha...just kidding.

I'm in agreement with you in that I would not buy a Mini 2 without retina. Seems like a given that the Mini 2 will have retina. I can't imagine a keynote sales pitch on RAM and CPU.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Yes. The Mini doesn't need one.

I've spent a lot of time looking at the screen and really it doesn't actually need one. Its not 100% as clear as the retina iPad but its miles head the original iPad in terms of screen quality. If you had to compare to the retina screen its like, only a few inches away from the quality.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I wouldn't buy one anyway because I'm poor and if I do have any money in the foreseeable future I'll be upgrading to a new MBP.

But more to the point, not having a retina display would be enough to stop me buying a mini, unless it either came down a fair bit in price or its specs got a big bump up to iPad 4/iPhone 5 standards...

To be honest I can't see myself ever buying a small iOS tablet while it has to compete with the subsidised nexus series. 10 inch is a different matter however.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Depends on what the rest of the specs are and the price. I wouldn't buy one based solely on a retina display. While it is an important part of the tablet, it is not the only factor for me.

HeadForTheHills

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
Edinburgh
A6 and more RAM is a higher priority for me...
Besides retina is likely to introduce longer charging times and poorer performing battery.

+1

I want performance and RAM for processing camera RAW files on the move - the retina display will eat performance and drain the battery.
Cameras also weight a lot, so my ipad2 is taken under sufferance and the mac book 11" air is taken even less frequently.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
Only if it had a processor as good or better than the iPhone. I still don't understand why they put in a processor two generations older than the iPhone, in the original mini. They could put a retina screen in it and if no better processor I still won't buy it. I've stayed with my Kindle.

2 generations older than the current iPhone? You mean 1 generation older than the current iPhone.
(I'm not counting the iPad's A*X versions)

Last edited:

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Had every iPad including 4 but skipped mini. Can't go to lower res and slower model just because its smaller. Now give me mini with retina screen that has higher ppi than iPhone 5 and I'll buy it on day 1!

Last edited:

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If I didn't have my first gen iPad mini I would definitely buy one if it didn't have a retina display. The current screen doesn't bother me one bit. It just would be nice to have a retina!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I would buy if the processor caught up a generation or two with the frontline Apple devices. I have seen what 2 years did to the experience on my iPhone 4; I would hate to think how the Mini would be 2 years from now, when it started off being 2 years behind the pack from the get-go.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Got the Mini, love it, and haven't had ANY problem WHATSOEVER with the screen. As a side note, I have a rMBP and an iPhone 5. If the 2nd Gen mini has retina capabilities, I will consider switching, but will most probably wait for the 3rd gen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.