Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
If you already have an iPhone it seems like it doesn't really do anything. Maybe for quasar but I see that getting on my nerves eventually.It's not like it makes it a full fledged computer or anything. Plus it's illegal now.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If you already have an iPhone it seems like it doesn't really do anything. Maybe for quasar but I see that getting on my nerves eventually.It's not like it makes it a full fledged computer or anything. Plus it's illegal now.

Original statement retracted.

There are probably tons of great reasons--I only had one. For me personally, jailbreaking allows me to tether other devices to my iPad (with LTE) for internet access--great considering I'm one of the lucky ones with an unlimited data plan on my iPad (AT&T) and so far, they haven't been throttling it based on usage.

Last edited:

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Jailbreaking an ipad IS illegal now, since last October. However, there are numerous reasons to do so, as discussed in like 5 other pending threads on this exact topic right now. Scroll down the page, and be amazed.

tymaster50

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
First, get your facts straight--nothing illegal about jailbreaking your device. It is supposedly now illegal to UNLOCK your phone--completely different than jailbreaking.

There are probably tons of great reasons--I only had one. For me personally, jailbreaking allows me to tether other devices to my iPad (with LTE) for internet access--great considering I'm one of the lucky ones with an unlimited data plan on my iPad (AT&T) and so far, they haven't been throttling it based on usage.

LOL telling me to get my facts straight when you're in the wrong.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Jailbreaking an ipad IS illegal now, since last October. However, there are numerous reasons to do so, as discussed in like 5 other pending threads on this exact topic right now. Scroll down the page, and be amazed.

Care to cite your source? Otherwise you are just spreading FUD.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Alright, I can admit when I'm wrong and honestly, I never saw any articles detailing how the latest DMCA exemptions did not include tablets (although there doesn't seem to be any clear reasons provided).

That being said, can't say that I really care and will continue to use my electronic devices as I see fit, including in this case, jailbreaking by iPad.

For reference, I read about it here and here.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012

They really should not call it jailbreaking. They should really call it jailfixing.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Go read the latest Copyright Office regulations passed last October. They say that it IS legal to jb an iPhone, but NOT a tablet. As discussed in this article on Huff-Po, and numerous other places. Do a google search on it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/27/jailbreaking-tablets-illegal_n_2024754.html

Why don't you post the section that backs up your claim? Then no one else will have to waste their time searching for it. It sounds like you read it. Care to share specifics?

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Why don't you post the section that backs up your claim? Then no one else will have to waste their time searching for it. It sounds like you read it. Care to share specifics?

Hack: if you spent 5 minutes and did a search, you could find numerous blog articles on this. But since you have some kind of burr up your butt, and would rather make sarcastic comments directed to me then do your own search, go see page 79 of the transcript. I tried to splice in the language but it would not let me. Here is the link.
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2012/Section_ 1201_ Rulemaking _2012_ Recommendation.pdf
Go to page 79 - recommendations.
I am not spending any more time educating you on this. Lose the attitude.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC

Its a news story that was picked up by not only all the technology pubs, but also mainstream media has been covering this lousy news (I even think it was covered recently while I watching the NBC Nightly News and CNN some nights ago).

Bottom line: a law that needs to fixed, as it doesn't use common sense.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
So can someone tell me what the benefits of jailbreaking an iPad are?
Exactly the same as JB'ing anything else: customization. If you want to know what's possible then take a look in this subforum. It's unreasonable to expect others to list what you consider to be benefits especially considering the massive amount of customizations/tweaks/etc made possible by JB'ing. If you want suggestions then you need to tell us what you're looking to do.

They really should not call it jailbreaking. They should really call it jailfixing.
Jail = limitations. Jailbreaking is correct. Jailfixing is what Apple does.

Last edited:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Adblocker, Nitrous and Browser Changer are reason enough in themselves. Everything else is gravy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.