Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Paskell
macrumors member

AirPort Extreme 5th gen or wait for 6th

Title says it all curious if anyone heard rumors for 6th gen as I can't find any. I need new router soon though
Paskell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:30 PM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Maybe this link...

is helpful:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/152...802-11ac-model

But I have the following philosophy: If needed and I can afford it, I bought it. Not always the new and shining works best, IMHO

Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:52 PM   #3
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paskell View Post
Title says it all curious if anyone heard rumors for 6th gen as I can't find any. I need new router soon though
Well, I don't know if you intend you make use of 802.11ac or not(and if you don't have any devices that can or aren't able to afford any; then get the current generation). I say this because I have one from 2009 that still works just as well as the it did the first time I set it up and the range is pretty awesome.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Paskell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Well, I don't know if you intend you make use of 802.11ac or not(and if you don't have any devices that can or aren't able to afford any; then get the current generation). I say this because I have one from 2009 that still works just as well as the it did the first time I set it up and the range is pretty awesome.
I will be buying a new Mac or pc and will have a new iPhone or some phone hopefully with that technology so ya I would like to have Ac for future use but Donno when it will be out.. I know Linkseys has an Ac router already but I love apple products and want an extreme basically
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:40 PM   #5
bt22
macrumors 6502

If I am not mistaken, Asus also has an AC router on the market. If I was going to buy an AC router today, I believe I would go with Asus before Linksys. That's just my two cents. I have two Airport Extreme's and both are running great. The one at my house has three airport express's connected to it and I never have any issues.
bt22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:17 AM   #6
Paskell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt22 View Post
If I am not mistaken, Asus also has an AC router on the market. If I was going to buy an AC router today, I believe I would go with Asus before Linksys. That's just my two cents. I have two Airport Extreme's and both are running great. The one at my house has three airport express's connected to it and I never have any issues.
Ah that's good to know I just would like to have an extreme I hear good things. And zero ba things but yet don't want to spend 179 for a new one to just come out right..

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice