Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Squilly
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Rate My Graphic?

I finished a tedious, 3 hour long graphic design in Photoshop today. Started at 5, finished at 8. What do you think? It's Retina resolution.
__________________
iPhone 6 16gb Space Gray Sprint
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:49 AM   #2
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
What do you think?
I'm curious why you describe it as "tedious". Three hours is not a lot of time to spend on a project.

Anyway ...

The type really, really needs help. The changing bevel is confusing. The font and color choice, uninspiring.

Question: why do you have a shadow underneath the prism, but not the type? The lack of consistency makes the two parts feel disconnected.

The color pyramids: pure red, green and blue are vibrant colors. I understand you're working with transparencies here, but those colors and shapes need to 'pop'. Right now it's too muted.

I really appreciate you bringing your work to the forum. Being critiqued is never an easy experience, but it will help you create better design.

Last edited by citizenzen; Feb 25, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
citizenzen is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Squilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I'm curious why you describe it as "tedious". Three hours is not a lot of time to spend on a project.

Anyway ...

The type really, really needs help. The changing bevel is confusing. The font and color choice, uninspiring.

Question: why do you have a shadow underneath the prism, but not the type? The lack of consistency makes the two parts feel disconnected.

The color pyramids: pure red, green and blue are vibrant colors. I understand you're working with transparencies here, but those colors and shapes need to 'pop'. Right now it's too muted.
What do you mean by the type? Thanks for the criticism
By tedious, I mean the longest I've ever worked on a render, three-fold.
__________________
iPhone 6 16gb Space Gray Sprint

Last edited by Squilly; Feb 25, 2013 at 09:01 AM.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:51 PM   #4
lucasgladding
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
 
I'll agree with citizenzen about the time spent. Your perspective changes as you get older. A couple weeks ago I spent 15 hours experimenting with the new renderer in Blender before starting a project, and I enjoyed every minute.

There is something going on with the renderer where the shadows are concerned, so that might be worth looking into. Which program are you using?

I agree about the "uninspired" comment, but that comes as you learn more about fonts. If the exercise is in 3D, I wouldn't worry about it.

The perspective is the reason for the other comment. You might want to try an isometric camera if that's available, or rotate the text so the perspective doesn't affect the weight as much.
lucasgladding is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Squilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasgladding View Post
I'll agree with citizenzen about the time spent. Your perspective changes as you get older. A couple weeks ago I spent 15 hours experimenting with the new renderer in Blender before starting a project, and I enjoyed every minute.

There is something going on with the renderer where the shadows are concerned, so that might be worth looking into. Which program are you using?

I agree about the "uninspired" comment, but that comes as you learn more about fonts. If the exercise is in 3D, I wouldn't worry about it.

The perspective is the reason for the other comment. You might want to try an isometric camera if that's available, or rotate the text so the perspective doesn't affect the weight as much.
Photoshop Extended CS6.
__________________
iPhone 6 16gb Space Gray Sprint
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:14 PM   #6
heehee
macrumors 68020
 
heehee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Same country as Santa Claus
What are you trying to accomplish? Is it a school project learning Photoshop or learning Photoshop in general?
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Squilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
What are you trying to accomplish? Is it a school project learning Photoshop or learning Photoshop in general?
Just experimenting with it. I followed a YouTube video tutorial to create the render.
__________________
iPhone 6 16gb Space Gray Sprint
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:33 PM   #8
heehee
macrumors 68020
 
heehee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Same country as Santa Claus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
Just experimenting with it. I followed a YouTube video tutorial to create the render.
In that case, you should learn 3D programs like 3DS Max, Maya, Softimage, Cinema 4D, Lightwave etc. For "simple" renders like you posted, it'll take you a lot less time and far more accuracy with lighting and shadows.

It'll be worth it for your next "idea" as well since you need a mockup, schematics, and model for 3D printing.

Most have free downloads for you to try out.
heehee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Squilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
In that case, you should learn 3D programs like 3DS Max, Maya, Softimage, Cinema 4D, Lightwave etc. For "simple" renders like you posted, it'll take you a lot less time and far more accuracy with lighting and shadows.

It'll be worth it for your next "idea" as well since you need a mockup, schematics, and model for 3D printing.

Most have free downloads for you to try out.
I have a trial for C4D, don't understand the software at all. Know PS a lot better...
__________________
iPhone 6 16gb Space Gray Sprint
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:20 PM   #10
fig
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I have a trial for C4D, don't understand the software at all. Know PS a lot better...
Right...that's why he mentioned learning it
__________________
figdigital | @figdigital | dribbble
fig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:25 PM   #11
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I'm curious why you describe it as "tedious". Three hours is not a lot of time to spend on a project.

Anyway ...

The type really, really needs help. The changing bevel is confusing. The font and color choice, uninspiring.
Agreed. I could barely read it.
MisterKeeks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:35 PM   #12
lucasgladding
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
In that case, you should learn 3D programs like 3DS Max, Maya, Softimage, Cinema 4D, Lightwave etc. For "simple" renders like you posted, it'll take you a lot less time and far more accuracy with lighting and shadows.

It'll be worth it for your next "idea" as well since you need a mockup, schematics, and model for 3D printing.

Most have free downloads for you to try out.
+1 for learning a 3D program. Blender has come a long way in the last couple years, and it's free, so it's another good candidate.

Using Photoshop for 3D is like using Word for logo design. If you have any interest in product design, learning some 3D is in your best interest.
lucasgladding is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:37 PM   #13
Squilly
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
Squilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Agreed. I could barely read it.
I was trying to tilt the font to the left but PS wouldn't allow me to render it anymore on the X, Y, or Z axis.
__________________
iPhone 6 16gb Space Gray Sprint
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:04 AM   #14
Mac Kiwi
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Zealand
The beveled text problem is, because you have the two words at different heights /angles, it makes it look like the text /words are sliding down a slope to your right.


Like someone else said make the pyramid pop but, try to work out what your pyramid is made out of first, then work from there to get your optimal result.


Instead of the shadow under the pyramid, I would try a bright colour to mimic a caustics type effect. Also your floor is reflective, so everything, including the text will be included in that global reflection.


Learning a 3d program is always a good move if you plan to move on from PS sometime.
Mac Kiwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:43 AM   #15
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I have a trial for C4D, don't understand the software at all. Know PS a lot better...
PS and real 3D aren't alternatives to one another. In a 3D worklflow, they compliment one another. You should know both. As far a specific 3D program, stick with c4d. It's the best choice for a designer's 3d program because A, it's really geared toward that, and B, it easier to learn than others. You can learn all you need about it on GreyScale gorilla with a lot of motivation.

In 3D, your work above would have taken like 15 minutes with accurate retractions and shadows. Also, it doesn't hurt to have motion design experience these days (with After Effects and c4d).

As for your work, it's a great start, but is like to see more contrast. Make the background nearly entirely white with just a hint if shading. It'll make your graphics easier to see.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 10:52 PM   #16
chrono1081
macrumors 604
 
chrono1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isla Nublar
I wish you people were on the ZBrush forums. I'd kill for critiques like these!
__________________
Mac Pro (2010): 3.33Ghz Intel Xeon (6 core) - 24 GB RAM - NVidia Quadro k5000
Macbook Air (2010): 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM
chrono1081 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 06:55 AM   #17
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040
 
ezekielrage_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
I believe where most of the critique should be coming from is not "learn software" but "learn the craft". Agreed with all previous post, doing the rendered logo in 3d is faster if you have a bit of knowledge around C4D or 3DSMAX, though is really doesn't answer the question Squilly initially had.

My feedback, is it's obvious you know how to use the software and filters in Photoshop however is this the craft for the design or just plain tooling?

Personally I'd go with the latter, what you've achieved is tooling out a some type, where my critique would be is for understanding the craft of design.

Firstly before creating, gain an understanding of type it will improve the logotype to no end. I'd suggest if you're interested with the craft not the tool check out Smashing Magazine , I Love Typography , Brand New and Logo Lounge
__________________
"There is a world elsewhere" - Coriolanus
ezekielrage_99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 04:31 PM   #18
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I finished a tedious, 3 hour long graphic design in Photoshop today. Started at 5, finished at 8. What do you think? It's Retina resolution.
Image
Several things jump out at me:

1. Is it PrisMART, Prism Mart or PrismART? If it's the latter, you need to rethink the font design. (Rethink the font too, what is that, Arial?)

2. The extruded type isn't working. Too much gray on gray and the angle of extrusion makes it look like the MART is curved.

3. Why does the type have a shadow but isn't reflected in the surface upon which it rests?

4. What are the shapes shown inside the red, green and blue elements supposed to be? They're distractions.

5. Too much background.

6. The reflection for the RGB elements is too long and indistinct.

7. Make the RGB elements more opaque so they stand out more.

8. If it were me, I'd strip out the 3d text effects entirely. Instead I'd go with a mirrored reflection. Since you don't have descenders in the name, it would work well.

9. The background transition from dark gray gradient to light gray gradient should be sharp, not fuzzy as you have it now.

10. Right now the proportions are wrong in that the RGB elements are too tall for the name's width. Make the name half again wider for starters (i.e., don't use a condensed face next time).

11. Three hours? Not bad for a very rough draft. If you spend the same amount of time for each of the next three drafts, you'll have something to be proud of.
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 01:08 PM   #19
MikBe
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
You can get free student versions of Autodesk's products (3ds Max, Maya, Mudbox, AutoCAD, etc.) directly from Autodesk:

http://students.autodesk.com/

They really want you to learn using their products so when you become a professional you'll buy their products.
MikBe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you rate negative? The Doctor11 Site and Forum Feedback 5 Feb 8, 2014 09:08 PM
frame rate? unfrostedpoptar Digital Video 3 Jun 26, 2013 08:23 PM
Possible to Rate Songs still? snowbandit16 iOS 7 2 Jun 15, 2013 02:23 PM
How will you rate the rMBP 13.3'' Exana MacBook Pro 22 Oct 24, 2012 03:44 PM
Rate my Battery JonMan iPhone 13 Oct 11, 2012 08:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC