Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:46 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Over 40 Dr. Seuss Apps on Sale for Theodore Geisel's Birthday

The publishing company behind a number of popular Dr. Seuss iOS apps has put most of its collection on sale in celebration of Theodore Geisel's birthday -- the real Dr. Seuss.

The sale runes through March 7th, cutting the prices for all the Dr. Seuss digital books and offering the Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat camera app free.

Quote:
"We're delighted to tip our hats to Dr. Seuss and say 'Happy Birthday' with a huge app sale," said Michel Kripalani, president of Oceanhouse Media. "Dr. Seuss fans look forward to this time of year as a great opportunity to expand their Dr. Seuss digital library. Plus, now all iOS versions of our Dr. Seuss book apps include a fantastic record and share feature that lets you be the narrator of your favorite Dr. Seuss story and then share your reading with friends and loved ones."
The company says all 44 of Dr. Seuss' books will be available as iOS apps by the end of the summer.

Books on sale include The Lorax, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, Hop on Pop, The Sneetches, Horton Hears a Who!, The Cat in the Hat, If I Ran the Circus, and more.

Article Link: Over 40 Dr. Seuss Apps on Sale for Theodore Geisel's Birthday
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2
street.cory
macrumors 6502

I might just get these books for myself.

Nostalgia overload.

street.cory is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.cory View Post

Nostalgia overload.

I know the feeling.

Great idea......these books were just fantastic - I absolutely loved them as a small kid......and, hm, would have to give serious thought to getting them for myself.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:37 PM   #4
nutmac
macrumors 68020

My 4-year old son loves Cat in the Hat, Cat Comes Back, Green Eggs and Ham, and The Lorax. The app faithfully reproduces the book with excellent voice narration, with tasty retina graphics.

Having said that, these books are very frequently on sale, about once every 3 months.
nutmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Nothing was better than the Living Books versions of these. The Oceanhouse Media iPhone/iPod/iPad versions are shocking in comparison. Everything you touched would come alive - talk, dance, run, etc. There were some really cool mini games in there too (the later titles in the series had them anyway). They used to occupy me for hours and hours everyday as a kid. Green Eggs and Ham was particularly really good.

And actually now that I'm Googling, I just found out that Wanderful has just released iOS versions of a few of the old Living Books! Here is the sampler:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stor...583696319?mt=8

It doesn't get better than that IMO, and is a reason why I still have my CDs in a drawer. Educational software was miles better in the 90's and I've dug them up a few times for my brother to use when he was younger.

And yeah, these are always being discounted. Google Play always sticks a few for 10-25 cents whenever they have a sale. They're not very interactive, and they would be better as ebooks.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Aries326
macrumors 6502

I got all of these books for my kids. They love them.

Too bad Shell Silvertein's publisher hasn't translated "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "Light in the Attic" into interactive books, I'd definitely get those for my kids.

I think the industry is still lagging when it comes to putting out books for kids. It's a shame. I'd rather see kids use the iPad for books than games.
Aries326 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 04:08 PM   #7
xlii
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by street.cory View Post

Nostalgia overload.

The Cat in the Hat and The Cat in the Hat Comes Back. Not only did I learn to read from those books but so did my daughter.
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:31 PM   #8
mr.steevo
macrumors 6502a

Paper (or board) books are better in this case.
mr.steevo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:29 PM   #9
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

The "real" Dr. Seuss? I didn't know there was a phony one.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 03:07 PM   #10
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
And actually now that I'm Googling, I just found out that Wanderful has just released iOS versions of a few of the old Living Books! Here is the sampler:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stor...583696319?mt=8
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 03:33 PM   #11
Renzatic
In Time-Out

I wish I grew up with Dr. Seuss. The only book I had of his was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 07:29 AM   #12
pagansoul
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to pagansoul
I was, am, a huge lover of 'GO DOG GO'. I would look at those pictures over and over again. A friend next door was an only child who had the entire collection. My brother and I spent many a day over there, he playing with Hot Wheels and I reading from his little library.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion