Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Myiphone7
Banned

Will my AT&T iPhone 5 SIM card work with a Galaxy S3 or a Blackberry for AT&T

Will my iPhone 5 data package work with it?
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Nermal

Blackberries, I think are a bit "special" when it comes to provisioning them. As far as I know, a "normal" SIM won't work with a Blackberry (this is certainly the case over here in NZ).

As for the S3, I don't foresee any issues there so long as it physically fits (you may need an adapter).
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:47 PM   #3
jackwills
macrumors regular

No
iPhone 5 uses nano sim and S3 uses micro sim
unless u use an adapter
not sure abt the blackberry I think they use standard sim?
jackwills is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:34 AM   #4
ZeroGauge
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Will my iPhone 5 data package work with it?
Yes. The sim will work you just need an adapter. I found one for about $1 on Amazon a little while back and it came rather quickly. I have a galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5 and the only issue that I've had was when taking my SIM card from the iPhone and putting it into the S3 was the fact that you'll have to call AT&T for data to start working.
ZeroGauge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:38 AM   #5
sawah
macrumors 6502a

I used an adaptor to put my iPhone 5 sim into my Galaxy Nexus. Once I input the right APN my data worked fine, I didn't have to call AT&T at all.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGauge View Post
Yes. The sim will work you just need an adapter. I found one for about $1 on Amazon a little while back and it came rather quickly. I have a galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5 and the only issue that I've had was when taking my SIM card from the iPhone and putting it into the S3 was the fact that you'll have to call AT&T for data to start working.
But it isn't a problem otherwise?

Will I lose my unlimited data?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawah View Post
I used an adaptor to put my iPhone 5 sim into my Galaxy Nexus. Once I input the right APN my data worked fine, I didn't have to call AT&T at all.
What does APN mean?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGauge View Post
No, you don't. I swap my SIM (with adapter) between my Note 2 and iPhone 5 all the time. Nothing has to be done. Data works perfect on both devices. I've swapped the SIM into my old S3, Nexus 4, Optimus G, etc. Never needed to call AT&T.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:46 AM   #8
sawah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

What does APN mean?
APN is Access Point Name.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:01 AM   #9
1080p
macrumors 68000

When I swapped from iPhone 5 to Galaxy Note II, AT&T needed to change my data plan from "iPhone Data" to "Smartphone Data." Otherwise my Note II couldn't stay connected to LTE and would only pickup HSPA.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
When I swapped from iPhone 5 to Galaxy Note II, AT&T needed to change my data plan from "iPhone Data" to "Smartphone Data." Otherwise my Note II couldn't stay connected to LTE and would only pickup HSPA.

I'm afraid I'd have the same problem
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:03 PM   #11
sawah
macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 5 plans works with the Galaxy Nexus because the at&t plan supports hspa+. So I didn't have to change my plan and I still get hspa+.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:33 PM   #12
ZeroGauge
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
No, you don't. I swap my SIM (with adapter) between my Note 2 and iPhone 5 all the time. Nothing has to be done. Data works perfect on both devices. I've swapped the SIM into my old S3, Nexus 4, Optimus G, etc. Never needed to call AT&T.
Really? I don't understand why data never works on my S3 until I call At&t to change the data plan. Is your data plan for the iPhone 5 or an Android device?

----------

Quote:

----------

What does APN mean?
As long as the phone isn't purchased through an upgrade it shouldn't interfere with your unlimited data at all. A member in this thread also brought it to my attention that you don't have to call At&t when trading your SIM card from your devices so there really shouldn't be any issues.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone