Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Just wondering how many people on these boards have purchased videos (and how many) from the iTMS? I've purchsed three and gifted two. If you haven't purchsed any please don't post. I'm just curious if Apple will make an annoucnement next Wednesday that they sold a X number of videos. I haven't purchsed any TV shows yet though. I have Tivo and already Tivo Lost and don't watch the other four shows for sale.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I purchased one to see what it looked like. The quality is OK, but to be honest the video I recorded via EyeTv last night then transcoded to H.264 looks so much better I don't think I'll by buying any more.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I bought the first episode, first season of LOST, just to see what it looked like, and see what the all the fuss was about over the show.

I watched about 10 minutes of it. The quality was lower than I expected, but the show wasn't that bad. I'll probably finish watching it on my iPod when it comes in.

Like robbieduncan said, I'll probably be using all my own content on my iPod.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Downloaded some to test it but Unless they release TV Shows in the UK i am not buying music videos a plenty

TV i want to DL:
Lost
Friends (for the mrs)
Only Fools and Horses
Blackadder
X-Files

thats just a start lol - UK always behind on new stuff :(

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
Just two from iTMS for now to see what they were like, quite pleased with what I see on my little 12' iBook.

I've been converting some of my own files so they'll go into iTunes ready for my iPod..... but I am having trouble with finding something to convert all my wmv files for free or cheap.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
sdreed25 said:
I've been converting some of my own files so they'll go into iTunes ready for my iPod

I have been doing the same thing...I might buy one music video or tv show just to see what it looks like, I hope that they will add some more shows next tuesday.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Bought two of the Pixar clips, and one music video.

The video quality was worse than I expected (if you view the clips at "Normal Size", you see just how small it really is), plus, you don't know how long the clip you're buying is until you download it!!!! :mad:

I might buy some of the TV shows if they were available here, but the quality is the real sticking point for me.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
liketom said:
...thats just a start lol - UK always behind on new stuff :(
It's only been 23hrs!

When the BBC go live with their downloadable content this sort of thing will explode in the UK I bet.

I don't like that you can't buy single episodes from previous series and the quality issues are a bit of a worry from what's posted above. Also I'll need more than 512K download speed which means an extra £25 month on top of the £40 I pay already :mad:

I think Apple are going to find it harder to own video downloads than they have music, for two reasons;
1) The iPod is not yet good enough for viewing video the Archos products with bigger screens and PVR functions seem better.

2) I think players like Blockbuster are going to have an installed customer base for movies.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I bought a Night Stalker ep jst to check it out (as I'm sure alot of People have) the Files are encoded pretty well, they look better than similarily encoded files I've made in PSP video 9, much more color accurate, whatever they use to encode these files is better than the third party tools we have available.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
whooleytoo said:
Bought two of the Pixar clips, and one music video.

The video quality was worse than I expected (if you view the clips at "Normal Size", you see just how small it really is), plus, you don't know how long the clip you're buying is until you download it!!!! :mad:

I might buy some of the TV shows if they were available here, but the quality is the real sticking point for me.

Alot of people are doing this. Folks these things are encoded to play and look good on a a 2 1/2 inch screen, of course they will look terrible when trying to view on anything larger than say a Powerbook. I'm sure even UMD's from Sony whick look almost Hi def on their screen would look like Ass on a good Television.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
mpw said:
I don't like that you can't buy single episodes from previous series and the quality issues are a bit of a worry from what's posted above. Also I'll need more than 512K download speed which means an extra £25 month on top of the £40 I pay already :mad:

You pay £40pcm for 512k? Time to leave Jersey and come to the mainland (whether UK or France)!

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
I've bought three (1 music vid, two pixar shorts) at the rip off britain price, just to check the quality.

i wasn't impressed. I guess i'll just have to wait until they increase the quality (or offer us UK folk free BBC downloads)

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
drlunanerd said:
You pay £40pcm for 512k? Time to leave Jersey and come to the mainland (whether UK or France)!
Line rental = £14
+ Broadband
512k @ £25
1mb @ £45
2mb @ £85

and you can't get quicker. But it's still not enough to make me move to the UK, yet, or France EVER!

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
The non widescreen format is what gets me...

Ass-quality never helps either.

For a second there - I thought this was going to be really cool...

Also - those those of you that think this is just supposed to be for your iPod - you're wrong. The computers as well as the iPod - are turning into media centers. Steve mentioned that you can download the shows to watch on your computer - or - watch them on the go with the iPod.

Really - they should look at the BT community and learn a lesson from some of the release groups that provide things like HD video and 5.1 surround in their files.

I'd be all over these downloads if I could get 'LOST' in widescreen HD from the iTMS...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
crachoar said:
Also - those those of you that think this is just supposed to be for your iPod - you're wrong. The computers as well as the iPod - are turning into media centers. Steve mentioned that you can download the shows to watch on your computer - or - watch them on the go with the iPod.

But the reason the files are so small is the iPod can play them back. Once we see a faster CPU in the iPod we'll see bigger file sizes. It might not be "just for the iPod" but it's definitely tailored for the iPod.

Lethal

zooniverse

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
am I the only one who finds it wierd that to buy a video, you go to itunes and then the music store.

:rolleyes:

broncoball

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
KC
i bought one music video so far and i dont think i will buy another. it took a long time to download and is very jumpy during playback. it also has terrible quality when you watch it in full screan.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I think the best show for them to add would be 24. Because in 24 there are no reruns, so if you miss one episode your screwed. Often I will have a hockey game or some other event and then it is a hassle to have to go and find a torrent of the episode. I would spend two dollars on that easily.

Other shows I wish they'd add:

Seinfeld
CSI
Family Guy
Prison Break
House

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I bought the 1st ep of Lost.

The quality of the clips is quite good, but the resolution is poor.

To be honest, on regular analog televisions I think it will look fine. On my 15" PB, viewing at 2x (640 x 480) is fine. Viewing fullscreen was actually better than I expected, but I was expecting it to be crappy!

In a year when the new iPods can decode maybe VGA H264, we will be in pretty good shape IMO, as I expect the video content to increase resolution as well. It will still look the same on the iPod screen, but on a computer or iPod TV out the videos will look good. They are not HD but that would take forever to download. Physical media simply makes much more sense for high-quality video at this point.

These TV shows in iTunes are not value buys in any way shape or form, but they are great impulse buys IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.