Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:34 AM   #1
fatboyslick
macrumors regular

Adding Music to Mac but not iTunes

Hello

Today I finally bought my first Mac - a Macbook Pro - after being a PC user since forever.

I have nearly 300GB of music on my PC which I manage in folders - I don't like iTunes. I need to move the music to my new Macbook but I don't want to add it to iTunes.

Can someone please help advise me where on my Macbook I should save it and how to stop it from automatically adding to iTunes.

Finally, when it comes to playing the music, again, I want to avoid iTunes, so can anyone recommend a something similar to WMP I can use.

Thanks

PS if you're asking why not iTunes, well it's purely preference. I like to select a random selection of albums to play in random. Plus iTunes has previously cocked up my tags and folder structure so want to avoid
fatboyslick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:59 AM   #2
MathiasMM
macrumors newbie

Best thing would be to go to iTunes -> iTunes menu -> preferences -> Advanced and untick "copy files to folder when added to library library" and "keep the media folder organized".
Once you've done that, it's fair game. Personally, I'd put my music in ~/Music, since I feel that's where it belongs. Unless, of course it should be share between several users on the machine.

As for media players, i'd say you should give iTunes a go again. I also organize media myself, but with the preferences I gave you, it won't mess up your files (though it may make a mess of its own database), but will still be able to play stuff. And you can make playlists of what you want to hear and all sorts of funky stuff, including smart playlists (could be all songs rated 3 or more stars, played more than 100 times, skipped less than 10 times and made before 1980).
For more bare bones, my first thought would be VLC.
MathiasMM is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Tags
itunes, mac, media, music, windows