Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
Can anyone please advise the website or best means of purchasing New Ram ready for when new iMac arrives!!

Have seen the tutorials and it appears extremely easy to slot in & upgrade! Would just like the ram here ready for its arrival!!

Also what type of ram is best to ensure its compatible?

Many thanks

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
Thanks!!

Bearing in mind it comes with 2 x 4GB sticks I assume that's 2 out of the 4 slots available taken up. Does it matter what size I buy ie can I buy 2 x 8GB sticks for the remaining 2 slots giving me a total of 24GB RAM

Thanks

----------

Also Any UK sites ?!?

itsMacTonight

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2013
Oregon-Go Ducks!
Thanks!!

Bearing in mind it comes with 2 x 4GB sticks I assume that's 2 out of the 4 slots available taken up. Does it matter what size I buy ie can I buy 2 x 8GB sticks for the remaining 2 slots giving me a total of 24GB RAM

Thanks

----------

Also Any UK sites ?!?

I haven't personally installed 2 8GB sticks with the two 4, but there was a whole thread on this issue and the consensus was that the iMac works fine with 24GB of Ram. Some people said each channel should have 12GB of Ram, but most said as long as your installing a matched pair all is good. Just make sure to get the correct Ram so it doesn't down clock to 1333 instead of 16000mhz.

Ajay(UK)

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
UK
Jimmy, crack on and order the RAM from the Crucial UK website, it works great with 24GB and no reduction in clock speed!:)

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Thanks!!

Thanks

----------

Also Any UK sites ?!?

I got my iMac last month and went for 16 GB (2x 8GB) from Crucial http://www.crucial.com/uk/ to install along with the pre installed 2x 4GB.

Crucial guarantee their ram to be 100 percent compatible.

If you go for the standard 8GB ram when you purchased your iMac you will have two free slots left.

Simple remove the ram access panel. Now there's a bit of a debate on where to install the ram, but both Crucial and Apple recommend to remove the pre installed ram and install your purchased ram in the slots you removed the pre installed ram from. Once installed just pop the cover back on and that's it :)

Jimmy.apple.fan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
UK
Thanks for your guidance!! Exactly what I shall do!!

Did you notice any real difference in speed or performance with the extra RAM from the standard 8GB?!?

Also has the clock speed stayed the same?!?

Thanks

James

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Thanks for your guidance!! Exactly what I shall do!!

Did you notice any real difference in speed or performance with the extra RAM from the standard 8GB?!?

Also has the clock speed stayed the same?!?

Thanks

James

I installed the ram pretty much after I had booted my iMac up for the first time. I wanted to make sure the iMac would work before I installed the ram, so I cannot comment on speed and performance increase over the 8gb.

The clock speed of the ram that was included with my iMac was 1600 and the ram I got from Crucial was also 1600. When I check the ram in About this Mac/System Report etc it reports that all the 4 slots have ram the is 1600.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.