Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yeast2u

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Hey, Just curious if I can upgrade the HDD to SSD in my iMac. Mine is a late 2011 21.5" model.

For some reason, I thought I saw some article saying the Harddrive replacement will make the Mac unbootable... So want to run with you guys before make any order.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
No offense meant, but........are you serious?

Do a search: plenty of people have done an HD/SSD swap on all versions of the last ('09 to '11) aluminum unibody iMac, including me on a 2010. Go to iFixit for more details.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I came to MacRumors looking for some answers to this question myself. I'm not going to go searching all over iFixit for the answer. My question was more towards do the SSD drives cause the same fan issue as some HHD drives did. I know when I put a 1TB drive in the cooling fan ran wide open. I have a OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-480G 2.5" 480GB SATA III MLC drive in my Macbook Pro was going to move it to the iMac then get a Samsung 512gb for the laptop. Why? Because the Samsung should be faster on compressed files and I deal a lot with compressed files.

To the OP I have replaced the HDD in my iMac without issue (other than the fan problem) but it does help to have the OSX DVD.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.