Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Applefanboy8153
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
worried about storage

Hi I am planning to get a new mac either macbook pro retina 13 or a macbook air 13 however both the macs come with 128gb ssds. I want to keep all my user files on a hdd while only software shall be on the mac, is that okay?
Applefanboy8153 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applefanboy8153 View Post
Hi I am planning to get a new mac either macbook pro retina 13 or a macbook air 13 however both the macs come with 128gb ssds. I want to keep all my user files on a hdd while only software shall be on the mac, is that okay?
Yes, that's fine.

Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Mike Oxard
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applefanboy8153 View Post
Hi I am planning to get a new mac either macbook pro retina 13 or a macbook air 13 however both the macs come with 128gb ssds. I want to keep all my user files on a hdd while only software shall be on the mac, is that okay?
You can move your whole home folder to another drive, leaving all your apps etc on the internal drive. We do this with an iMac that has an internal SSD and HDD. The OS and apps are on the SSD, the home folder with all the data is on the HDD. It's very easy to do, especially with a brand new computer.

http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidespr...w-Location.htm
Mike Oxard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Also remember that external HDD's are cheap these days too...USB3, Thunderbolt, all can expand your storage at a later date if you run short. I have a 13" MBA with the 256 drive in it...I keep en eye on it, restricting large file downloads or big projects to my iMac...I also have a Pegasus R4 so so large files live there. I think you'll be fine with a new MBA.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia, USA
Before you purchase, determine the max size SSD you will need and double it. The peace of mind for future needs and the disk speed that choice determines is so very worth it. While you are at it, max your memory.
__________________
2012 MBA 13, 2 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; 2011 MBA 11, 1.8 Ghz i7, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD; 2010 MB Pro 15, 2.66 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD; two iPad 3s and a mini, two iPhones and a bunch of iPods
wolfpuppies3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:10 AM   #6
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxard View Post
You can move your whole home folder to another drive, leaving all your apps etc on the internal drive. We do this with an iMac that has an internal SSD and HDD. The OS and apps are on the SSD, the home folder with all the data is on the HDD. It's very easy to do, especially with a brand new computer.

http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidespr...w-Location.htm
That's a terrible idea for a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with the Retina display…

That would defeat the point of having an ultraportable laptop computer.
__________________
Mac Pro | Mac mini | 15" MacBook Pro | iPad Air | iPhone 6
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Mike Oxard
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
That's a terrible idea for a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with the Retina display…

That would defeat the point of having an ultraportable laptop computer.
But if you read the OP, it is exactly what they were asking about
Mike Oxard is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I be worried? portcontrol7 MacBook Pro 2 Mar 11, 2014 10:24 PM
cloud storage vs more in-phone storage? (64gb) ThereGoesJB iPhone 18 Sep 12, 2013 03:05 PM
iMac with 768 Flash Storage - Which external drive for Lightroom photo storage? pete78 Digital Photography 7 Apr 5, 2013 02:43 AM
Should i be worried? Cnercessian iPhone 4 Sep 15, 2012 12:01 AM
icloud storage/manage storage SMargaret iPad 1 Jun 19, 2012 10:08 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC