Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Qaanol
macrumors 6502

On-screen keyboard disappeared

Today, suddenly, my standard English keyboard started appearing entirely black. The keys still work, I just cannot see where they are. It worked fine yesterday. In fact, Iím pretty sure it worked fine this morning.

I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.2. I jailbroke it with evasi0n 1.4.

I have the following keyboard tweaks installed: SwipeShiftCaret, SwipeSelection, ShowCase, and DeleteWord. I have had them for a long time, and they have worked flawlessly. Indeed, thanks to ShowCase, the lowercase keyboard shows up properly.

Today I updated to evasi0n 1.5 through Cydia (package version 0.4-1). I also updated DisableNC+, symbolicate, and Universal Video Downloader to their current versions.

I installed AppInfo and used it to export lists of my tweaks and apps to my email.

I installed ActionMenu, and it was in the process of testing out that tweak that I discovered the standard keyboard was appearing all black. So I uninstalled ActionMenu, but the problem was still there.

I then reinstalled SwipeShiftCaret, SwipeSelection, ShowCase, and DeleteWord. The problem was still there.

Also at that time I noticed the rich text options were no longer in the action menu. I opened Flex and found that none of the patches I had installed prior to updating to 6.1.2 were still there. So I downloaded a number of Flex patches, including Rich Text Editing (iOS 6) for Notes.

Still, the regular capital-letter standard English on-screen keyboard shows all the letters as a solid black area. The Shift, Delete, 123, Language, Space, and Return keys all show up properly.

What can I do to get the standard keyboard to appear properly again? Iím hoping to avoid restoring in iTunes because that is time-consuming, so if there is something else I can do, perhaps through Cydia, SSH, or iFile, that would be preferable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	399262   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.PNG
Views:	19
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	399263  
Qaanol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

I had this problem. I found the culprit was ShowCase. Uninstall that and see what happens.
TM WAZZA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Qaanol
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM WAZZA View Post
I had this problem. I found the culprit was ShowCase. Uninstall that and see what happens.
Thank you kindly, uninstalling ShowCase did indeed resolve the issue for me.

I then reinstalled ShowCase after removing it, and when I went to edit a note, the Notes app crashed and the black keyboard reappeared.

So I removed ShowCase again.

Then, being doggedly persistent, I installed ShowCase once more. This time I opened Messages and confirmed both majuscule and minuscule keyboards worked. I did the same in Safari, and then the same in Facebook. Finally, I opened Notes, and waited for it to fully launch, then tapped to edit a note.

And what do you know, the keyboard works properly with ShowCase installed, just like it used to. Very strange.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Qaanol is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks