Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster today issued a new research report sharing data from research firm NPD covering Apple's U.S. Mac sales for the month of January. According to NPD's data, Mac sales were up a strong 31% year-over-year for the month.

2012_imacs_left_right.jpg
Munster attributes the strong performance to Apple finally being able to roll out orders of the new iMac, even as the company remains significantly constrained with multi-week waits for new orders through its online stores. Apple announced the new iMac in late October of last year, but did not begin taking orders until the end of the November with the larger 27-inch models not arriving until several weeks later.
We have analyzed domestic NPD retail data for the month of January which suggests Mac sales were up 31% y/y through the first month of the March quarter. We believe the reason for the significant improvement in the sales data is primarily due to Apple catching up with iMac supply, which the company noted to be constrained in the December quarter. CEO Tim Cook noted that iMac sales were down 700k units y/y in December (we note iMac sales are likely far less impacted by iPad, thus the vast majority of the y/ y unit decline is likely supply).
It remains to be seen if the strong sales will hold up for the remainder of the quarter, and thus Piper Jaffray is maintaining its estimate of a 5% year-over-year decline for the full quarter when global sales are considered.

NPD's data also reveals a bit of a surprise for the iPod, showing U.S. unit sales up 3% year-over-year and revenue up 2%. Piper Jaffray has been modeling for a 17% decline in total iPod sales for the quarter as the device continues to lose favor with consumers shifting music consumption to smartphones. But even a strong showing for the iPod is unlikely to have a significant impact on Apple's bottom line, as the line represented just 4% of Apple's sales in the holiday quarter, typically the strongest one for iPod sales.

Article Link: U.S. Mac Sales Surge in January as iMac Orders Pick up Steam

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Not surprised...

I'm not surprised. Demand is high for the new iMacs. A lot of people on MacRumors want to complain that Apple isn't meeting their current 'buying criteria' of more power but the truth of the matter is Apple Inc. is filled with smart minds that know society changes, and so does 'buying criteria.'

Not only are iMac's more powerful, but they are thinner, lighter, simpler and more essential—which is what society wants in a desktop machine going forward. Our buying criteria is more influenced by laptops and tablets than anything else.

I talk about buying criteria in my latest podcast. :) :apple: if you want to learn about it and how businesses use it as an innovation strategy.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Not only are iMac's more powerful, but they are thinner, lighter, simpler and more essential—which is what society wants in a desktop machine going forward. Our buying criteria is more influenced by laptops and tablets than anything else.

Couldn't agree more.

Upping power and reliability while still shaving off space, energy consumption, weight and shipping costs. I love my iMac :D

dgafitescu

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Order the 27" iMac with Fusion driver in mid December and still didn't arrived.
That's in Romania by the way.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Big increase in Mac sales only confirms what I already suspected. Apple performance is completely disconnected from AAPL performance.

All the negative Apple stories on Yahoo are simply plant stories by Wallstreet sharks to drive AAPL down to a point where they can once again buy "cheap". Then they jump back in and the "pump and dump" cycle starts all over again.

Betting on stocks going down should be illegal. Allowing "puts" simply results in pump and dump cycles for short term profits that completely warp stock values simply for short term gain. AAPL over the last half year is the poster boy for this activity.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
I don't know about you guys but I don't like the idea of seeing the same design computer in every household. Wish Apple would add a bit more variety for iMac

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
According to NPD's data, Mac sales were up a strong 31% year-over-year for the month.

All this is indicative of is that vast majority of iMac buyers just waited till later to buy the iMac.

It won't be until April and May number until see if overall Mac demand is up year over year.

The other thing will be Q4 2013, because of the artificial suppression of Q4 2012 numbers there will likey be an even larger year-over-year jump this when they do not logjam the new iMacs during the quarter.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Big increase in Mac sales only confirms what I already suspected. Apple performance is completely disconnected from AAPL performance.

All the negative Apple stories on Yahoo are simply plant stories by Wallstreet sharks to drive AAPL down to a point where they can once again buy "cheap". Then they jump back in and the "pump and dump" cycle starts all over again.

Betting on stocks going down should be illegal. Allowing "puts" simply results in pump and dump cycles for short term profits that completely warp stock values simply for short term gain. AAPL over the last half year is the poster boy for this activity.

You mean like this (on the homepage of yahoo finance right now)?

HP’s New Low-Priced Tablet Puts Even More Pressure On Apple

Why aren't they asking how HP's slate will impact Google Nexus or Amazon Kindle? Because throwing Apple in the headline guarantees someone will click on the article.

digizure

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
I'm really surprised that people are willing to buy the new iMac with NO DVD drive or Firewire!

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
I'm really surprised that people are willing to buy the new iMac with NO DVD drive or Firewire!

I'm surprised people still use DVD drives, I can count on one hand how many times I've used mine in the last 5 years.

Last edited:

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013

While depressing if you bought AAPL over 700, this creates an opportunity to buy in for long-term holdings - especially now that it is an income generating stock.

Funny thing! Since this PR, AAPL is actually down even more! Total disconnect from reality haha

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Shipping times still not very good (on Canadian store). Available in 2-3 weeks for 21.5 and 3-4 weeks for 27.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

No offense - but this is an obvious statement and one that has been posted (by me and others for a few years now)

AAPL the stock is not the same as Apple the company. Period.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Betting up or down should be legal.

What is 'wrong' with the stock markets now is that there is a concerted effort to inject volatility just for volatility sake. There is a growing number of folks who make money only if the market is noisy. So they rattle around generating noise. They aren't making the markets more efficient just noisy.

That has always been a problem.

Apple's stock price in part got built up due to overhype and that often is a dual edged sword. The many of the same folks whipping it up are the same ones muckraking as it goes down. Accurate valuation doesn't matter, volatility does.

Shorting isn't so much of a problem as folks shorting by waving their hands ( naked shorts). Many of these things are regulated but haphazardly enforced.

If buying selling were slowed so that had to hold something for 24 hours most of the random, short term oscillations would disappear.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I'm surprised people still use DVD drives, I couple count on one hand how many times I've used mine in the last 5 years.

agree. When I got the MacAir quite some time back, I also got the external DVD just in case ... guess what - it is still in its original package since I just don't have any use for it anymore.

That does not mean nobody needs a DVD drive - but those few have the option to get an external one ... no need to put a drive that most people don't need into a machine.

But some people will keep complaining, no matter if they have a real use case ... same happened back than when the floppy drive got removed and people thought 'how can they sell a machine without the really important floppy drive' ...

digizure

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
I like to back up on a DVD and rip DVDs. I also use Firewire a lot. I think it was a bad move to remove the drive and Firewire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.