Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:44 AM   #126
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a
 
SmileyBlast!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Gorgeous looking machines. Makes my 2010 iMac look so antique.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:09 PM   #127
SAdProZ
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
I guess what I'm missing is why the average consumer would have such a strong desire to have a desktop computer take up a few less square inches of space. I agree with your hypothesis about iMac customers, but IMO, this is telling me they are buying based more on form than anything else.

I do like the looks of the new iMac. It's visually appealing. But at this point in time I'm not getting thinness for the sake of being thin. I don't see how this enhances performance, just aesthetics.
I think your point is super interesting and one I like thinking about. I'm a designer so I do for a living/passion. It's Apple's philosophy that form and function should be one, that where they meet there is purity and balance and beauty. Apple aims for the beauty provided by form meeting function. For example, a beautiful car has a beautiful form. And that form is functional in that its curves minimize wind resistance and help stabilize the car at high speeds, and so on. The form of a chair is functional in that it dictates how it conforms to your body and distributes weight when you sit on it. But some people don't care about the shape of a car or the shape of a chair so long as its cheap, or whatever. Some people take pride in being frugal or practical. Others in luxury and excess. I think Apple tries to straddle the middle in an attempt to find the perfect balance. There's no way every consumer is going to blindly agree that Apple hits that mark every time. You don't agree. You question. You're thinking. And I admire that and enjoy these types of conversations because you and I represent the challenge a business faces: who does Apple please?

I would argue that this update, the thinner version with sans DVD drive, isn't a good buy for you now but when your current computer kicks the bucket a few years from now the iMac will be more powerful and the lack of DVD may no longer be a concern. So then it may be an appealing machine, especially with Haswell chip and more powerful GPU.

But you're right— this specific update wasn't much of an internal update. It's the direction that is so interesting. Computers are taking new forms (not just functions).

Last edited by SAdProZ; Feb 26, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
SAdProZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 PM   #128
Icaras
macrumors 601
 
Icaras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by digizure View Post

Ha. I am not "whining" about it but making a point. Keep spending your easy earned bucks on products you're suckered into buying the first place.
I was also making a point as well and that is real statistical sales data is proving that removing the ODD was not a "mistake". If its such a mistake as you claim, why are "U.S Mac sales surging as iMac orders pick up steam"?

And like I've repeatedly said, this is the best desktop Mac I've ever owned and couldn't be happier. Blazing performance, love the fusion drive speed, lower power consumption than all my previous Macs, including 21.5", and doesn't break a sweat in terms of heat. This thing has never gotten hot to the touch, not once yet. Oh right, and all that driving the fastest mobile GPU in the market out now in a chassis with 40% less volume.

Suckered in? No. Convinced and highly impressed at Apple's feat of engineering and performance promises? A resounding yes.
__________________
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) iPad Air iPhone 6 Apple TV (3rd Generation) Airport Time Capsule

Last edited by Icaras; Feb 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Icaras is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:52 PM   #129
Dutchman9
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Ordered my 27" fusiondrive on november 30th at the Dixons store in the Netherlands. Still nothing arrived!! I am at the point of cancelling the whole thing now
Dutchman9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:25 PM   #130
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604
 
AppleScruff1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAdProZ View Post
I think your point is super interesting and one I like thinking about. I'm a designer so I do for a living/passion. It's Apple's philosophy that form and function should be one, that where they meet there is purity and balance and beauty. Apple aims for the beauty provided by form meeting function. For example, a beautiful car has a beautiful form. And that form is functional in that its curves minimize wind resistance and help stabilize the car at high speeds, and so on. The form of a chair is functional in that it dictates how it conforms to your body and distributes weight when you sit on it. But some people don't care about the shape of a car or the shape of a chair so long as its cheap, or whatever. Some people take pride in being frugal or practical. Others in luxury and excess. I think Apple tries to straddle the middle in an attempt to find the perfect balance. There's no way every consumer is going to blindly agree that Apple hits that mark every time. You don't agree. You question. You're thinking. And I admire that and enjoy these types of conversations because you and I represent the challenge a business faces: who does Apple please?

I would argue that this update, the thinner version with sans DVD drive, isn't a good buy for you now but when your current computer kicks the bucket a few years from now the iMac will be more powerful and the lack of DVD may no longer be a concern. So then it may be an appealing machine, especially with Haswell chip and more powerful GPU.

But you're rightó this specific update wasn't much of an internal update. It's the direction that is so interesting. Computers are taking new forms (not just functions).
I certainly looks like Apple has been pleasing the right people over the past 5 years or so. They have grown in leaps and bounds during the worst recession in ~80 years. Millions unemployed, hundreds of thousands losing their homes, etc. Businesses closing and going bankrupt, all the while Apple reaps record sales and profits. If that isn't pleasing their consumers, I don't what is!! It really staggers the imagination what they have done, and add in the poor economic times and it is even more remarkable.

As far as a desktop goes, I'm more of a hands on tinkerer. I enjoy building a pc and researching the components and making the choices, but that doesn't seem to be nearly as common as it once was.

Apple has the sexy look down pat. I think the 11" MBA is a highly desirable notebook. It just makes you want one when you see it. And the latest generation backs it up with performance, something that the Core 2 Duo models didn't really do.. Sandy and Ivy Bridge tech helped them come alive.

I think Haswell is going to open a new world. I can imagine what products like the Surface Pro will become with all day battery life and being even thinner. I have no idea what Apple may surprise us with down the road. Perhaps it won't even be with a a laptop or tablet. They may go in a direction that people won't expect.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:26 PM   #131
twigman08
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by digizure View Post
I'm really surprised that people are willing to buy the new iMac with NO DVD drive or Firewire!
While I understand people still use DVD Drives and I do agree that maybe Apple is cutting them out a bit too early (though they aren't the only one now), I think you would be surprised how many people do not actually use a DVD Drive anymore.

I understand the use for them and that is why if you see you might need one every now and then you can get one separately, though I myself don't have a use for one actually. I can't remember the last time I used a DVD Drive on a computer. Actually I just thought of it. I had to, guess what, reinstall Windows for someone! Guess what I did? I now gave them a flash drive that can be used next time instead of that DVD Drive.

Considering I can get a 6GB Flashdrive for as little as $5 now...

Most of my information that isn't private or important is stored in the cloud and on an external drive/flash drive. I'm currently in the process of having my roomate shrink her music collection from a crap ton of DVDs to only one external hardrive or a couple flash drives and when we need to share songs or something just sharing it via our home network connection.
twigman08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:57 PM   #132
WayOffTheGrid
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Seriously?? Good riddance to firewire and DVD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digizure View Post
I'm really surprised that people are willing to buy the new iMac with NO DVD drive or Firewire!
Were you also surprised when people still bought computers without 56k modems and floppy drives? Changes like these that Apple makes are what drive developments in supporting technology companies. Shedding the weight, expense, and clumsiness of old technologies from new machines is something that PC companies should have done long ago! You can buy a USB/Thunderbolt adaptor to connect yourselves to any of the antique-tech formats that you're emotionally not ready to let go of, and spare the rest of us and our machines from being burdened by an unnecessary need for the manufacture to accommodate backwards-compatibility to your short-sighted whine!
(May your complaining continue to fall on deaf-ears in Cupertino!)
WayOffTheGrid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:58 PM   #133
paradox00
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't the surge of new iMac purchase come from the fact that...ugh...a new iMac was released? I don't see any prove that people necessarily buy the new iMac because it is thinner/lighter. I'd say it is because people simply waited for the new refreshed iMac to show up...

By your logic, AiO should be selling en masse. They don't. So no: society as a whole doesn't really want lighter/thinner as a desktop.

You know: critical thinking and all that...
Just throwing these out there: http://www.isuppli.com/Home-and-Cons...it-Growth.aspx

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/...-and-well/8099

Couldn't find anything that recent, but all-in-ones have been outpacing traditional desktop growth for a while now.
paradox00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:21 PM   #134
Cavepainter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
So, you think I should have to pay for a built-in DVD drive I'll never use, just so you don't have to spend a few bucks to buy one? I think not!
Did they reduce the price because the feature was eliminated? Hate to break it to you, but you paid for it anyway.
Cavepainter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:35 PM   #135
Galatian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox00 View Post
Just throwing these out there: http://www.isuppli.com/Home-and-Cons...it-Growth.aspx

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/...-and-well/8099

Couldn't find anything that recent, but all-in-ones have been outpacing traditional desktop growth for a while now.
I'm sorry: both statistics include the iMac in their figure. Apple has virtually no discrete desktop computer (let not start arguing about the mini/pro), hence including iMac sales in such a figure will give you false results.
Galatian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:22 PM   #136
digizure
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOffTheGrid View Post
Were you also surprised when people still bought computers without 56k modems and floppy drives? Changes like these that Apple makes are what drive developments in supporting technology companies. Shedding the weight, expense, and clumsiness of old technologies from new machines is something that PC companies should have done long ago! You can buy a USB/Thunderbolt adaptor to connect yourselves to any of the antique-tech formats that you're emotionally not ready to let go of, and spare the rest of us and our machines from being burdened by an unnecessary need for the manufacture to accommodate backwards-compatibility to your short-sighted whine!
(May your complaining continue to fall on deaf-ears in Cupertino!)
I just think it is too early to get rid of DVD and Facetime. Or at least drop the price on the iMac instead of being greedy with the surplus already.
digizure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:18 AM   #137
paradox00
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
I'm sorry: both statistics include the iMac in their figure. Apple has virtually no discrete desktop computer (let not start arguing about the mini/pro), hence including iMac sales in such a figure will give you false results.
It's not really false result, it's more a lack of data. Desktop computers and all in ones aren't tracked that closely (especially if you want to exclude macs), but over the last couple years, significantly more all in ones have been put on the market. A simple visit to an electronics store will show that. The articles I linked were primarily focussed on Windows all-in-ones, I think it's foolish to simply ignore them because they also include the iMac. Like it or not, the iMac helps drive the Windows all-in-one market too, because there are people that like the iMac aesthetics but are unwilling to buy a Mac for whatever reason and there are plenty of vendors looking for a piece of the pie.
paradox00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:28 PM   #138
Galatian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox00 View Post
It's not really false result, it's more a lack of data. Desktop computers and all in ones aren't tracked that closely (especially if you want to exclude macs), but over the last couple years, significantly more all in ones have been put on the market. A simple visit to an electronics store will show that. The articles I linked were primarily focussed on Windows all-in-ones, I think it's foolish to simply ignore them because they also include the iMac. Like it or not, the iMac helps drive the Windows all-in-one market too, because there are people that like the iMac aesthetics but are unwilling to buy a Mac for whatever reason and there are plenty of vendors looking for a piece of the pie.
Just because they are on the market doesn't mean they are getting purchased. Look at all the me-too Android tablets. Just because they exist doesn't mean they get sold. But as a matter of fact I actually have to find AiO on the showroom in my local hardware stores here in Berlin. The only AiO I always see is the iMac and I have already stated that the iMac should not count, because a)it's a Mac and b)as a Mac there is really not much alternative if you need something faster then a MacBook Pro or MacMini, but don't need the fullblown Mac Pro workstation.

Indeed there is not sufficient data, but since the original claim was, people want AiO and slimmer/thinner designs I still stand to my original statement, that I simply don't believe it is true. And you have yet to show any statistic that excludes the iMac that shows a significant interest in AiO.
__________________
iPhone 5S Gold 64 GB -- 13" retina MacBook Pro
Galatian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:00 PM   #139
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
If I were going to buy an AIO here's what I'd do

http://www.tomshardware.com/pictures...-mini-itx.html
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:06 PM   #140
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a
 
Mike MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Germany, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
I'm surprised people still use DVD drives, I can count on one hand how many times I've used mine in the last 5 years.
They don't - they just haven't realized yet.
__________________
Macbook Air 13" (late 2010) - Apple TV2 - Time Capsule - iPhone 4
Mike MA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:36 PM   #141
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOffTheGrid View Post
Were you also surprised when people still bought computers without 56k modems and floppy drives? Changes like these that Apple makes are what drive developments in supporting technology companies. Shedding the weight, expense, and clumsiness of old technologies from new machines is something that PC companies should have done long ago! You can buy a USB/Thunderbolt adaptor to connect yourselves to any of the antique-tech formats that you're emotionally not ready to let go of, and spare the rest of us and our machines from being burdened by an unnecessary need for the manufacture to accommodate backwards-compatibility to your short-sighted whine!
(May your complaining continue to fall on deaf-ears in Cupertino!)
Just wanted to quote this for emphasis....DVD drives in pc's are going/ gone the route as cassette players in new cars.
There are more efficient ways of storing data that cannot and will not be ignored.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:42 PM   #142
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
yeah the new iMac seems nice, and when apple can catch up with demand, it'll be time for an upgrade to it. so sales should stay strong.

i think the iPod touch is still a good product, just over priced
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:33 AM   #143
JW Pepper
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCore24 View Post
I think mac's are the only computers increasing market share every quarter compared to everyone else.
Well it would be a neat trick if both PCs and Macs were increasing market share.
__________________
355/113 is the best aproximation of π
JW Pepper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pick One: Duel Mode - Free from 13th of January until 19th January! Algotechapps iPad Apps 0 Jan 15, 2014 05:15 AM
Pick One: Duel Mode - Free from 13th of January until 19th January! Algotechapps iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Jan 15, 2014 05:14 AM
Steam Christmas Sales - 2013 ValtermcPires Mac and PC Games 11 Jan 7, 2014 10:46 AM
January 27" iMac Orders! (Those ordered in January) large farva iMac 1352 Mar 27, 2013 09:51 AM
Federal sales tax on home sales effective January 2013 thewitt Politics, Religion, Social Issues 50 Nov 25, 2012 01:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC