Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

evasion.jpg
The upcoming iOS 6.1.3 update, which was seeded in beta form to developers last week, will put an end to new versions of the evasi0n jailbreak.

Forbes reports that evad3rs team member David Wang (aka planetbeing on Twitter) tested the patch over the weekend and found that one of the five exploits the hack uses was repaired.
Wang tells me that he's analyzed the 6.1.3 beta 2 update and found that it patches at least one of the five bugs the jailbreak exploits, namely a flaw in the operating system's time zone settings. The beta update likely signals the end of using evasi0n to hack new or updated devices after the update is released to users, says Wang, who says he's still testing the patch to see which other vulnerabilities exploited by the jailbreak might no longer exist in the new operating system.
Despite evasi0n's record number of downloads, hitting seven million installs just four days after release, Apple has been relatively slow to patch the bugs that make evasi0n possible, compared to some previous jailbreaks.

The Cupertino-based company pushed the iOS 6.1.2 update six days ago, without a fix for evasi0n, which has now been available for download for three weeks. According to Forbes, it took Apple just nine days to fix Jailbreakme 3.0, the jailbreaking tool for the iPhone 4.

Wang is predicting that the iOS 6.1.3 update might take as long as a month to be released, and he also mentioned that the evad3rs have discovered additional bugs in the operating system, which could lead to a new jailbreak in the future.

iOS 6.1.3 will bring improved Maps to Japan along with a fix for the Passcode bug that was discovered after iOS 6.1.

Article Link: iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 Fixes Exploits Used for Evasi0n Jailbreak

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I don't care. I am not giving up my jailbreak. I am not upgrading until ios7.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
In this day and age, with all of the substantial improvements that Apple has made to iOS over the years, I don't really think that there are many excuses left for jailbreakers.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
In this day and age, with all of the substantial improvements that Apple has made to iOS over the years, I don't really think that there are many excuses left for jailbreakers.

there are still a few tweaks exclusive to jailbreakers that i find handy, namely activator and sbsettings, which are not available with JB

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada

Are you serious? there is so many things you can do with an iPhone jailbroken that you can't with iOS on its own.

tumblr_lgd1hgYbNt1qzq72w.gif

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Are you serious? there is so many things you can do with an iPhone jailbroken that you can't with iOS on its own.

This!

Apple updates have been piss poor. The last good update was back when we got iOS 5 in 2011. iOS 6 was just one big screw up - hence the SVP getting let go over it.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC

Oh brother, where to begin on this one...

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
So many updates, for ****s sake. Get your act together!

What? Lots of updates are a GOOD thing and means that they DO have their **** together.

Would you rather they find out about bugs and security flaws and ignore them so that they can patch them all at once a month from now? It's much better to release a small update to patch a hole and then release another one a week later to patch the second hole.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Question is, can a jailbreak tweak fix the passcode bug?

If not... well we have the choice between a jailbroken iPhone or a secure iPhone

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
True to an extent. But NCSettings (or sbsettings) and BiteSMS are clutch, along with 3GUnrestrictor (FaceTime for unlimited data plans, for example) and TetherMe (or MyWi).

FolderEnhancer (more than 16 apps in a folder and folders inside folders) and f.lux (also available for OSX) are also very worth it, IMO.

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
If ios let's you quick reply and quick compose for sms and adds toggles in notification center I might agree with you but until then I'm jailbreaking. I theme my phone and there are other tweeks that I use but I can live without them.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Zephyr is the only reason I jailbreak.

Dunno why it isn't a stock feature, swipe down and swipe up... almost crazy Apple didn't think of it

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
It's hardly something to worry about anyway.

----------

I don't disagree that everyone has different needs, but that list used to be a lot larger. That's all I'm saying.

What has Apple added recently that satisfied your needs? NC and perhaps twitter/FB integration is all I can think of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.