Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:30 PM   #51
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

That's crazy.
Apple should just abolish IAP's in all their apps.

Nothing more annoying than the pay to play model that isn't upfront.

If I want to buy an app, I buy it. If I want a free app, I expect it to be free, don't hit me with the okiedoke.

Not fair to play a game and not do as well as you could because you didn't pay enough money to get a certain weapon to help you get past a certain level
thehustleman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:35 PM   #52
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by diazj3 View Post
THANK YOU Arn...!

So many Apple fanatics that don't know what the case was about, but still trash parents, assuming Apple is incapable of any mistakes or wrongdoing.
Since the App Store first launched I can remember always getting an email receipt from Apple as soon as my credit/debit card got charged (usually twice a week) from App or Movie/TV Show purchases, I also monitor my bank account periodically. If my nephews ever purchased an App or In-App I would know right away, I wouldn't be blind sighted months later.

Not only that, but even before iOS 4.3, anytime I handed my nephews my iOS device I always signed out of the App Store to prevent this "accident", but my iPhone was always off limits, but if they came over to visit and I was at work they knew they could use either my iPad or iPod touch, but I always had a gift card registered to those devices, never a credit card.

I'm not a parent, but common sense should have been applied (don't hand your kids devices associated with your credit card), laziness to be proactive about the situation is not Apple's fault.
saving107 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:37 PM   #53
Windlasher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
The IAP totally contradicted the ITunes purchasing model Apple had in place. You have to enter a password to download a free or $.99 app...yet you could rack up a hundred times that amount in the app without having to enter a password?

Apple knew it was a poorly conceived concept, which is why it was changed so quickly. Parents didn't think they were handing a 'payment method' to their kid because App purchases typically required a password.
So when NFC become a standard.... who are they going to sue?
Windlasher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:38 PM   #54
NorEaster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Another case where the posters on Apple's side apparently didn't read the article.

Or, if you did, and still say the complaints aren't valid, answer me this: Why did Apple change the way the software worked if it was just fine before?

Seems to me they looked at it and said "oh, yeah, this isn't working the way we wanted it to" and they changed it to a more logical system.

So, basically, if you're in here saying it was the parents fault, you're arguing against Apple themselves, who agreed that it should be changed and then changed it.
Very good point There are way too many Apple fanatics on this site that either a) don't read the article(s) b) don't care to take the time to actually THINK before posting and c) just bash any opinions/products/companies that they feel are anti-Apple. The level of fanaticism is frankly disturbing.

It should have never been that easy for in-app purchases (or rather, there should have been configurable options from the start to enable varying degrees of verifications prior to making an in-app purchase).
NorEaster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:39 PM   #55
Windlasher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
The phone by itself shouldn't be a payment method is the arguement. And it isn't now. It was before, but only in one specific instance which certain developers optimized for, in the hopes of tricking some kids into buying things.

These weren't "accidental" purchases on the part of many of the app developers, but carefully crafted in app buying guided experiences.

arn
AGAIN: So when NFC becomes a standard.... who are they going to sue?
Windlasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:41 PM   #56
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
it's not as straightforward as that.

Many games were designed to take advantage of this fact by making the in-app-purchase deceptively easy to purchase, and it not being very clear that real money was being charged (since no password was required).

arn
While that is true, I was still cautious about it. A parent should be even more cautious given that its your child. Like I said, blame is on parents. I don't blame Apple since in the end, the App Store has evolved as we learned and this wasn't something that was done by Apple on purpose, but by developers trying to make a quick penny.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:42 PM   #57
you people smh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windlasher View Post
The gas station that allowed a 5-year-old to buy $180 worth of candy and magazines with an iphone, if you must know.
you people smh is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:46 PM   #58
Windlasher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by you people smh View Post
The gas station that allowed a 5-year-old to buy $180 worth of candy and magazines with an iphone, if you must know.
Let me rephrase. WHEN NFC become a standard and you have all your credit cards on your phone, and you hand that to your kid, and he accidentally buys all of the things you were looking at on your Amazon wish list or all of the things you put in your cart to decide on which ones to buy, i suppose that is going to be amazons fault too?
Windlasher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:46 PM   #59
kdarling
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windlasher View Post
NFC is already a standard. What's your scenario?

(With Google Wallet, you can require a PIN before use. You can also disable Wallet on any device.)
kdarling is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:48 PM   #60
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
How is this Apple's fault?
Apple gave no warning to parents about it. Sure I believe that it shouldn't be considered Apple's fault for that, but I also believe that you shouldn't be able to sue someone for falling down his stairs while you're robbing his house. But that's how it is in America.

----------

If my kid had an iOS device, I'd install the in-app purchase cracker and make all of them free so I don't have to deal with this.
Fatalbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:53 PM   #61
SqB
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
While that is true, I was still cautious about it. A parent should be even more cautious given that its your child. Like I said, blame is on parents. I don't blame Apple since in the end, the App Store has evolved as we learned and this wasn't something that was done by Apple on purpose, but by developers trying to make a quick penny.
And this is why when given the refund by Apple, my assumption was that the money would be taken right back or withheld from the shady developers. This would be the preferable way to handle it instead of sticking Apple with the bill. I never really saw this as Apples fault. When I spoke with them, it was with the intent that they understand how misleading the game was for children. I didn't ask for the money back, it was voluntary on their part.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:53 PM   #62
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
Apple gave no warning to parents about it. Sure I believe that it shouldn't be considered Apple's fault for that, but I also believe that you shouldn't be able to sue someone for falling down his stairs while you're robbing his house. But that's how it is in America.

----------

If my kid had an iOS device, I'd install the in-app purchase cracker and make all of them free so I don't have to deal with this.
Didn't know they made that!

I must find it
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:05 PM   #63
Zaqfalcon
macrumors regular

So that's why we need to keep entering our password all the time; bloody kids!
Zaqfalcon is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:05 PM   #64
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqB View Post
And this is why when given the refund by Apple, my assumption was that the money would be taken right back or withheld from the shady developers. This would be the preferable way to handle it instead of sticking Apple with the bill. I never really saw this as Apples fault.
Apple runs a curated App Store where every app was personally approved by them. The additional security of this is one of the touted features. They also created the whole mechanism by which in-app purchases are made, and they are the ones who you gave your credit card details to, not the developers. So if parents have a valid case (and I believe they do), then it is Apple who is responsible to make good. If Apple wants to take action against certain developers, that's up to them, but it would be a separate case.
kalsta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:09 PM   #65
rudigern
macrumors member

Think a large portion of the blame should lie on the App developers in this case though. They exploited it, they benefited more than most, they should be penalised more than others. Although some blame does lie on both Apple and the parents.
rudigern is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:17 PM   #66
malachiman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Parents out there

Stop spoiling your kids!

Go throw them outside and let them play for Christ sake!

Why back in my days we'd play till it got dark not on our devices.
Sure

Go back a little more and you would not have had a "childhood" you would have been working as soon as you were able too in some sweat shop (unless you were from good breeding)
malachiman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:02 PM   #67
louiek
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
So, if all 23 million people do claim, for an average of $10 each. Thats.. expensive.

I personally don't think it's apples fault.
It's not so expensive when you've already taken a 30% cut of those IAPs.
louiek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:16 PM   #68
rnizlek
macrumors regular

I think if you stand back and took a good look at what happened, this makes sense. Though, if Apple was pretty forthright about refunds (as many commenters described), then I don't see much of a reason why they had to have a suit.

The problem was that it wasn't at all clear that once an app was purchased, that one could use that to ring up additional purchases without authorization. Until you'd made an in app purchase once, it wasn't clear how that worked.

And this is coming from a mid-20s guy who doesn't have children and has zero interest in ever having them.
rnizlek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:25 PM   #69
Xavier
macrumors 68020

Kids these days and their apps. My parents never had to worry about in-app purchases. My first cell phone played the game snake. And had about 100 pixels.

But on topic, this isn't exactly Apples fault.
Xavier is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:26 PM   #70
flat five
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by saving107 View Post
If my nephews ever purchased an App or In-App I would know right away, I wouldn't be blind sighted months later.

anytime I handed my nephews my iOS device I always signed out of the App Store to prevent this "accident", but my iPhone was always off limits, but if they came over to visit and I was at work

I'm not a parent, but common sense should have been applied (don't hand your kids devices associated with your credit card), laziness to be proactive about the situation is not Apple's fault.
[offtopic_ish]

there's a distinct difference in the situation you're describing vs. parenthood itself..

you're speaking in a manner of nephew time being separate from your time.. you can fit the time in with your daily schedule and also be full of kidenergy because the last time you saw your nephews was 10 days ago at walmart..
the time you happily went through all of the motions required to log out etc..

but your kids don't 'come over for a visit'.. they're in your life.. always.. they're part of the posse you know?..

and within that paradigm, your model doesn't really work out.. and not simply because of 'lazy parenting' or whatever.. it's just a bummer way to live as a clan when there's a heck of a lot more sharing going on..
[/off]

[EDIT] and when we're talking about something like an iPhone.. something that is Equally cool to your kids as it is to you.. it's more of a family object.. not so much of a "that's MINE" thing going on with idevices in a family setting..

Last edited by flat five; Feb 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
flat five is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:29 PM   #71
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
To some Apple is NEVER wrong.
To others, Apple is NEVER right. What's your point ?

So how many free iTunes cards did the lawyers get for winning ?
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:53 PM   #72
Radio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat five View Post
because you didn't have devices..
sorry ol buddy, your past is in fact the past
We had Nintendo
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:53 PM   #73
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
Didn't know they made that!

I must find it
It's on Cydia (jailbreak required). It used to be called IAPCracker, but it's changed. I don't remember the name, but I used it to get millions of Temple Run points since I didn't feel like wasting hours collecting coins.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:54 PM   #74
Radio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by malachiman View Post
Sure

Go back a little more and you would not have had a "childhood" you would have been working as soon as you were able too in some sweat shop (unless you were from good breeding)
Dude I'm only 10. I was just outside
Radio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:54 PM   #75
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
We had Nintendo
The GameBoy (Color): famous for not having a backlight. Yep, still can't play in the dark

Other than that, I really like the GameBoy Color. I miss Nintendo when it was good
Oh wait, you're 10. Stop playing those hipster Pokémon 3rd gen games, n00b! (jk)

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion