Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Dec 9, 2002, 10:29 PM   #1
Macette
macrumors 6502

how do i make line breaks in a plain text email??

This probably sounds like a very stupid question..

this is the problem:

i'm using Direct Mail to compose an email to a newsletter group. i want all the people who are capable of reading the HTML format to see an HTML version, and all the others to see a text-only version.

Direct Mail has two windows, one for composing the HTML email, and one for the text-only part. Trouble is, when i paste text into the text-only bit, I get one continuous line, with no line breaks except where forced by the window (in other words, i can read all the text without scrolling sideways, but it looks UGLY)

I've had this problem before, with other direct mailing apps.

anyone know what i can do about it?
Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:24 PM   #2
madamimadam
macrumors 65816

Re: how do i make line breaks in a plain text email??

Quote:
Originally posted by Macette
This probably sounds like a very stupid question..

this is the problem:

i'm using Direct Mail to compose an email to a newsletter group. i want all the people who are capable of reading the HTML format to see an HTML version, and all the others to see a text-only version.

Direct Mail has two windows, one for composing the HTML email, and one for the text-only part. Trouble is, when i paste text into the text-only bit, I get one continuous line, with no line breaks except where forced by the window (in other words, i can read all the text without scrolling sideways, but it looks UGLY)

I've had this problem before, with other direct mailing apps.

anyone know what i can do about it?
I don't know anything about Direct Mail but as far as free email clients are concerned I know that in Mail and Outlook you can do this with no problem. If you make the email in HTML in both of the mentioned programs it will send a plain text version as well with line breaks.
"A colon????"
"The letter a"
madamimadam is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:36 PM   #3
Macette
macrumors 6502

thanks, but..

yes, i know... entourage does as well. the problem is that i want to use direct mail, because it deals with some of the the problems of mass mailouts (like not sending duplicates to people who've registered twice), as well as having this cool feature where you can retrieve email addresses from a mysql database, which is what i need, as i have a database online which people subscribe and unsubscribe to via my website.

so thanks, but i'm still looking for answers, if anybody's got them...
Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:59 PM   #4
madamimadam
macrumors 65816

Re: thanks, but..

Quote:
Originally posted by Macette
yes, i know... entourage does as well. the problem is that i want to use direct mail, because it deals with some of the the problems of mass mailouts (like not sending duplicates to people who've registered twice), as well as having this cool feature where you can retrieve email addresses from a mysql database, which is what i need, as i have a database online which people subscribe and unsubscribe to via my website.

so thanks, but i'm still looking for answers, if anybody's got them...
In that case, you are best just to write to the creators of the program directly. It is something specific to that program.
"A colon????"
"The letter a"
madamimadam is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:06 AM   #5
Macette
macrumors 6502

thanks - i'll do that. and i'll post the response for interest's sake..

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion