Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KK12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Hi, I have just lost my phone, but I really want to retrieve all the music on my phone. Sadly, I don't think I have ever synced with my laptop before. Is there a way I can still rescue my music and apps? Thanks so much!

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Hi, I have just lost my phone, but I really want to retrieve all the music on my phone. Sadly, I don't think I have ever synced with my laptop before. Is there a way I can still rescue my music and apps? Thanks so much!

You can download again from iTunes

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
You want to retrieve your music from your lost phone?

If you didn't download them legally from iTunes, then you can't. Common sense?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Apple has all your iTunes purchases ready for re-download anytime.

For your other personal music, if u did it the way Apple wants you to, that is, you placed them on your PC, told iTunes to sync it to your phone, then the original music is still be on your PC. If you went around Apple and uploaded music to the phone, NOT through iTunes, ooooops.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
As stated above, iTunes remembers which songs you bought and you can manually redownload them for free using iTunes on your computer.

If you're planning on getting another iPhone, then restoring from an iCloud backup will put that all back.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Super weird to hear about people never, ever plugging their iPhones into a computer to sync/backup.

But yeah, legally purchased music should still be available via iTunes.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
This scenario of losing both iPhone and music has to one of my worst nightmares. Especially the music. So I'm shocked you don't know how to recover your music.

Mellisaray

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013

yes, i agree with you, in case for missing, next time you should backup in your computer.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

Unless he ripped them from CDs he bought. Which you can just rip again, but as that is a PITA that's why I backup. ;)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Just to note, backups don't really help with music, but it's a little...odd to have music on your phone that you don't have anywhere else.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Unless the OP used one of those free music download apps for their music and didn't bother using iTunes. If this was the case, I have no idea if the music would have been downloaded as "other" or if the data is stored in the app itself.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Super weird to hear about people never, ever plugging their iPhones into a computer to sync/backup.

There are still people who don't appreciate the Apple's model, they gripe and complaint that they have to use iTunes to sync their music. The "other" phones let me drag&drop my music to my phone, why can't %^$@ Apple? They go out of their ways to bypass Apple's method.

This is why.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Perhaps the OP can inform us of his/her method of putting music onto their phone. Then we can try and help resolve this issue. It does seem the OP doesn't really understand the whole backup scenario, but at this point we are all just guessing.

BUT it never hurts to have the mantra of "Back up, Back up and Back up once more" ingrained in the noggin.

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Just download the songs again from iTunes and make sure that you have back up your data next time.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
There are still people who don't appreciate the Apple's model, they gripe and complaint that they have to use iTunes to sync their music. The "other" phones let me drag&drop my music to my phone, why can't %^$@ Apple? They go out of their ways to bypass Apple's method.

This is why.

Well many mobile phones have software for file managment and from a computer, like my old nokia for example.

Actually you can use drag and drop from itunes if you set "Manage music manually" in the options, I just find using playlists, especially smartplaylists to be much more efficient especially with large libraries.

Also when I say backup I mean don't backup within itunes, I backup the itunes music folder itself periodically, with all the music files and the playlist, playcount files etc. to an external drive. That way I don't have to worry about reripping my cds or redownloading my itunes purchases.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
So your phone was the only location you kept your music, and you lost it.

OP, you haven't provided details. What are you asking? How to buy/redownload from iTunes? How to go to the store and buy a disc? How to apply common sense?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Just to note, backups don't really help with music
Backups help with music in the same way that they help for anything else. By "backup" people mean backing up the music files -- not using backup in iTunes.

Regardless of what or where it is, if it's important, back it up.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

This is why.

It's called "Manually Manage," been doing for years. More like people complain without RTFM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.